Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 275 total)
  • stw peaks pootle 27th march
  • skiprat
    Free Member

I had an idea, Skiprat could meet us at different stages of the ride and bring hot drinks and cakes.

Cheers pal……

He'd be like a support car. He could bring me spare parts. And carry my big screwdriver.

It'll only be a week after the op, i don't know if i could cope with the weight of all those parts 😉

I'll see how i'm feeling and might pop along to say hello

skiprat
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

We can just push up that footpath next to the Beast. Its short and sharp and breaks no rules. Seemples.

Any out playing this Sat?

skiprat
    Free Member

Bloody computers playing silly beggers this morning 👿

hora
    Free Member

That will be your newly possessed hand skiprat. Has it been ordering mankini's and pron?

Ps. What are the conditions around there at the moment? I was thinking of taking tomorrow off for a spin.

slowrider
    Free Member

sorry for yet another route related question pook! when you say the roman road, do you mean potato alley or heading in the opposite directon as in turning left at the top of the beast or turning right?

ta!

skiprat
    Free Member

Its got a mind of its own!!

Might be out on saturday Ladybower way. Just need to check a couple of things first.

Been nice and dry the last couple of days, suns even been out!! Think snow showers and sleet are due thurs night/friday so we'll just wait and see how bad they are!!

thepodge
    Free Member

I might be out this weekend just gotta check the wifes rota

stilltortoise
    Free Member

sorry chaps I can't join you on this one. Me and the kiddies will be watching the missus hurtle around in a rally car near Loughborough

Pook

slowrider -turning right and heading towards hope.

will
    Free Member

Yet again I wont be able to make this 🙁 I'll be in Scotland biking/climbing Ben Nevis and stuff 🙁

Proper gutted as I love these rides!!

thefallguy
    Free Member

can't make it either 🙁
    but then I am biking in the lakes that weekend 🙂

Pook

gah – regulars dropping like flies….

thefallguy
    Free Member

terrible ain't it 😥

hora
    Free Member

Looks like no Peaks ride for me tomorrow 🙁

Pook

Had a baby?

slowrider
    Free Member

it was muddy but fun on monday hora, not much snow around ladybower and win hill area but could see loads over kinder, cut gate etc.

hora
    Free Member

Exactly. I was going to ride the Kinder Circuit and noticed on another thread that Jacobs was iced right over.

FFS. I'd love to ride Penmachno but a 4hr drive is ridiculous.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I might be in, I'll see.

Would need to gaurentee good weather as the bike won't fit in the car with the roof up!

Why not go down the beasts brother(roman road heading north) and back up the beast to make it a loop? The Beast is overated IMO, can be ridden absurdley quickly, resulting in a 50/50 chance of a trip to A&E, or as most people do, very very slowly for the fist straight before letting off the brakes for the second.

slowrider
    Free Member

i prefer the beast to potato alley

Pook

We did the beast on one of the last peaks pootles. We're thinking a loop up the mystical ladybower climb that only wizards and the honoured know ;o), as a return up to the roman road from the bottom of the beast.
    Blame Hora.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe I'm getting confused (been a couple of years since I lived there)

What are the the options from hope cross?

I thought it was (from jaggers clough)

Turn right and eithe rgo down screeming mile or right to the end and down towards Bamford.

Straight on for The Beast

Turn left and there was a longer faster decent? Or was that potato alley and the other decent I'm thinking of was the one down to derwent water.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm completely wrong, can't remember the differecne between hope cross and the top of hagg farm, dam hills and resevoirs all look the same!

Pook

Tell you what, turn up on the day and we'll show you

😀

thepodge
    Free Member

james – As in, is there anything other than that line on a council website, something that shows it in law rather than just that. It strikes me as odd that the council just decide the law?

bylaws are exactly that, laws made by the council.

there are quite a few tracks that you could use through those woods to the NW of Ladybower but the legality of them is unclear to say the least, i'd not be too happy taking a bunch of people up them.

Pook

Podge, there's one trail up the south side of l'bower, used by us in a big group before on the green light from a local who informs me it's landowner permissive. Also it a couple of guide books.
    Nw of ladybower you're right. Cheeky to say the least.

bobbyspangles

i'm in.

james
    Free Member

fair enough, (re bylaws)

Just had a look on streetmap. The 25k map shows it as a footpath and a permissive bridleway (for the main drag up .. )

hora
    Free Member

beast to potato alley

Tell me more..

Pook

yeah james – i think there's about a 25m section between the two b'ways that's a FP.

beast to potato alley…remember the top of the beast hora? you go left rather than down.

hora
    Free Member

Its quite good that bit- longer than the Beast but not better IMO.

Slowrider means down the beast, push up the footpath then down Potato Alley? (I can't get my head round the logistics of that)

bobbyspangles

not so sure about a push up the beast, how about up hagg farm?

thepodge
    Free Member

I'm gonna make a map with all these silly names marked on so we all know what we are on about

jackthedog
    Free Member

I've just had a letter through about possible surgery, so might be on crutches by the 27th. So if I'm not there don't think me a wimp.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So if I'm stood at hope cross with Jaggers clough behind me, the beast is straight ahead with a bit of a left turn arround the wall before it drops to the gare before the track begins for real,

Going right takes you back into Hope or Aston via the roman roads.

What's on the left? Is that potato alley?

If so, surely the best route is down potato alley, upp the farm road opposite (back in the day I used to climb that on a 38t single ring and maxxis 2.35 high rollers! No wonder my knees FUBAR!), allong the top to Hagg farm, down Hagg farm, back allong the road, possibly via 'house of pain'/cuthroat bridge if the grounds solid enough, before scooting allong the road to Edale and the cavedale loop?

hora
    Free Member

What is this with surgery and Pootles? Over-self pleasuring hand surgery, exploding appendix 😯 and another..

slowrider
    Free Member

Slowrider means down the beast, push up the footpath then down Potato Alley? (I can't get my head round the logistics of that)

fail 😛

i mean down the beast, up hagg farm, turn round and come back down hagg farm, then up pooks secret permissive bridleway.

i only mentioned potato alley as i got confused myself. i though pook had found a way to link the bottom of potato alley up with hope.

Pook

Spoon- it's been considered, but I'm trying to limit the road miles. Plus I fancy the drop down hope brink 🙂

Hagg farm descent via rowlee farm is an optional loop, then yes, up my mystical ascent.

I can't create a path from hagg to hope, despite being generally brilliant 🙂

Podge – looking forward to this map….

I will come up with a definitive route soon enough. Keep suggesting/tinkering etc 😉

hora
    Free Member

slowrider ah!

Anyone want to buy a set of almost new Pike 454 coils?

Pook

Oi horacek, classifieds you cheeky sod 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 275 total)

The topic ‘stw peaks pootle 27th march’ is closed to new replies.