Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • STW Massive – this is ALL YOUR FAULT. (Warning – new French bike content)
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

Right. So there I am happily riding my bike in the woods now and again. Seemed a less dull way to keep fit than gym or running. I had a really nice bike from Halfords and everything. And then…

I discovered this site. I chuckled at the endless “what tyres” threads, which I took to be a sophisticated form of irony. My wife saw me on the site and bought me a subscription to the mag for Christmas. I started reading about all sorts of funny bike brands I had never heard of and had definitely never seen in my local Halfords. I started to think that maybe I needed a better bike.

This has now reached it’s logical conclusion. I saw a Lapierre. I immediately wanted a Lapierre (I suspect they have that effect on a lot of people). And so I have a new bike. Bottom end of their range, but very much top end of mine. Can’t believe I have spent that much on a bike, but Lordy it looks good and that just makes me want to ride it. Went out for a first ride last night and it was fab. I’m in love.

Anyway. Back to the post. It’s all your fault as I would not have wanted one if I hadn’t started hanging around on here. I hope you’re all feeling sorry.

Anyone want to buy a Carrera Fury?

Woody
    Free Member

Bottom end of their range, but very much top end of mine.

You say that now……………………..wait until you start needing to upgrade the parts 😆

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I immediately wanted a Lapierre (I suspect they have that effect on a lot of people)

My mate has been lusting after one for two years. Went out with him and his new 34 today. Ear-to-ear grins.

TheFopster
    Free Member

UPGRADE PARTS? You mean I’M NOT DONE YET? Mind you, those brake rotors do look a bit plain. And as I got the bottom model I don’t have the Fox forks. Mmmm. Is Santa due anytime soon?

RealMan
    Free Member

Brilliant post, really made me smile, sounds fantastic.

I do hope you’re not going to take that lovely new bike out when its wet and muddy. So I suppose you will need a winter bike..

Also, have you looked at riding with clubs/other people? Opens up whole new levels of fun.

…those Carreras are alright actually!

<devil mode>
    Singlespeed it
    </devil mode>

nickc

Those Lapierres are cool bikes, good choice

chakaping
    Free Member

Good on you mate.

I’m sure if you stop reading STw now and never return you might be able to avoid upgrade-itis.

khani
    Free Member

And so it begins……….

rOcKeTdOg

can’t see owt but a red cross

RealMan
    Free Member

Also you should really post a picture of your bike so we can comment on valve/tyre alignment and the state of your lawn.

bullroar
    Free Member

You have just taken the first step or two down a delightfully slippery slope.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Couple of months time and you’ll have some new tyres on there, and another pair in the shed, depending on conditions, you’ll have a selection of camelbacks (TJ friendly size to 30l bivvy kit bag for the trail centres) and some 800mm bars and vented rotors.

It’s a slippery slope, mark my words…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

UPGRADE PARTS? You mean I’M NOT DONE YET?

Ah, bless. So much to learn… 😀

You will need to upgrade. Not want to; need to. It’s not a choice.

Hairychested
    Free Member

And those frame upgrades coming your way…

avdave2

You got away very lightly. I’ve been working somewhere south of Munich this week in some posh hotel on the side of a lake and as I’m standing outside the meeting room during a break concierge wheels out 7 grands worth of Cannondale flash for some uber rich Late middle aged German dressed head to toe in red Specialized lycra. Well a quick chat and an attempt to hold it down rather than pick it up and I just have to have one. Not the German I hasten to add.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Did try to post a picture for garden related abuse, but sadly was too stupid/impatient to make it work. I did at least know to get it a but muddy and scratched before photographing it.

I will try to stay away from here to avoid upgrade-itis, but t.b.h. without much hope of success.

And that Cannondale Flash does sound nice, but I’m sure it would crumble to dust if you tried to ride it. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway, or I’ll have to sell the car…

RealMan
    Free Member

or I’ll have to sell the car…

You mean you haven’t already??

khani
    Free Member

After a while you’ll think maybe a hardtail would be nice for those ‘quick blasts’ when the Suss feels a bit much, so a cheap(ish) hardtail will be acquired, then one day you’ll think the forks could be better and wouldn’t a lighter set of wheels be nice, but then a shorter stem and wider bars are needed as yours are not Quite right and then that saddles killing you’re arse and cheap saddle are rubbish ti rails are soooooo much comfier so why not, and everyones getting dropper seatposts now they make Such a difference you wonder how you’ll manage without one, and RED bits’ what about red bits’ it looks a mess! It needs some red bits! Oooooooooooh red bits shiiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeebits!!!!!!, then you look out the window and it’s been pissing down for a week and the world has turned into a mud bath and you can’t get you’re nice shiney red bits dirty cos they’re are pain to keep nice and red and shiney and you’ll kill that dropper post in the mud, so then a road bike seems like a good idea to get some mud free miles in, but then………….you’ll miss the trails, it’s boring on the road mmmmmmmm maybe a singlespeed is a good idea 💡
    Then you’re lost, obsessed! You’re wife will leave you and you’re kids will go into care, you will drive a fifty quid banger with 15k of bikes in the back
    And live in a bedsit with all your bikes in the same room, stroking then at night, alone in the dark………………..it’s already started, embrace you’re doom

MrNutt
    Free Member

hey, thats my bridge!

and 😉 welcome, stick to the moors, stay away from the bargains in classified paths

timmys

So seeing as the picture doesn’t work – what bike is this thread all about! I’m guessing a 214?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Are u selling the fury? What size and age?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

got some as new Fox floats off my 2010 314 for sale as I have the upgrade bug really bad 😉

email in profile if interested

vikingboy
    Free Member

What ever you do do not Check the classifieds over on the Lapierre owners club…….. 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Hi vikingboy

I’d be more concerned about the photos of the all the upgraded bikes like chicken legs’ 514 with the blue pimp all over it :mrgreen:

TheFopster
    Free Member

Went out for a quick mooch this morning. As timmys correctly guessed, it’s a Zesty 214 in freakish clown size 54, as I am somewhat long in both arm and leg in a baboon stylee. KitKat red with white graphics – very smart. As it cost nearly three times what my previous bike did, it is of course perfect with nothing more needed.

Having said that…

As Mansonsoul said, the tyres are hopelessly ill suited to winter in Blighty, so they’ll need sorting. Just that and a bit of helicopter tape here and there, and I’m done. Will make a manly effort to keep away from classifieds.

I am doomed, I presume?

TheFopster
    Free Member

Forgot to say – Fury is a large 2010, but sale delayed pending decision re. urgent need for a winter bike and potential gearless niche activity. WillTheRealForumPleaseStandUp is responsible for that idea. I really must stop reading…

RealMan
    Free Member

Nice that.

So how long until you start another thread.. “What tyres for…”

bigbob38
    Free Member

Doomed yes….

Just finished a small upgrade on my WINTER bike that cost more than the bike in the first place 😯

khani
    Free Member

DOOMED!!!!!!!!

nonk
    Free Member

well done lad good show.
    welcome to the fold.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Haha, when I bought my first proper mountain bike, the only thing I thought I’d replace were the pedals. Which I ended up keeping for longer than most of the rest of the bike.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘STW Massive – this is ALL YOUR FAULT. (Warning – new French bike content)’ is closed to new replies.