Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • stw landlords (yeah we're scum)
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

😀

Basically I want to get shut of my agent after the current tenants 12month contract is up (they are crap). Now I have to give them notice which is fine, but…

What’s the score with keeping my tenants? I have an inventory already, I will have to take their deposit and bank it in one of those schemes. I’ll also have to get a new agreement drawn up. Is there anything else I should be thinking of??

DrP

Have a look at property hawk – useful and free ASTs etc.
    Use the deposit protection scheme.

erm, keep good tax records…

DrP

andyl
    Free Member

You can switch to self manage. Unless your contract states otherwise you normally switch to a monthly rolling tenancy after the assured time.

If self manage is then not working then find an agent to manage it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@monkey, when we let a property we paid an agent a finders fee but then did self manage. You should check the agreement to see what it says, you will probably be fine to self manage with the same tennets but check you don’t owe a renewal fee to the agent.

As self managed you will have to get the boiler checked/signed off as safe each year.

TBH I found it all very straightforward.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

will have to get the boiler checked/signed off as safe each year.

Bear in mind that this is only in theory.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Remember to let yourself in periodically to check through your tenant’s girlfriends underwear drawer (to check how many people are actually living there). And to scale a ladder occasionally to look through a third floor flat window (to check they’re not growing Cannabis, as you are suspicious because they’re such good tenants who always pay on time).

😉

Only joking OP, I’m sure you’ll be a great landlord.

footflaps

Bear in mind that this is only in theory.

It’s a statutory requirement to have an annual gas safety certificate (or whatever it’s called these days).

Swelper
    Free Member

This may help

Dead easy really

Gary_M
    Free Member

As self managed you will have to get the boiler checked/signed off as safe each year.

You need to get a gas safety certificate even if you go through an agent. It’s only about £60 though.

I self manage one property and use an agent for tenant finding and checks. I use an agent for another property though as it’s 200 miles from home, the other is 20 miles from home so a lot easier to fix anything that goes wrong.

You should be able to switch to self managed through the agent but you may have to pay a percentage of a months rent. Make sure you negotiate that percentage.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers,
    I have had one problem (broken shower) and I ended up sorting it over the phone ( have sparkies and plumbers I trust),as the agents were useless!!! My tenants would prefer me managing as they have seen I am pro active. (Discussed it with them) They are also good tenants so I want to keep them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘stw landlords (yeah we're scum)’ is closed to new replies.