• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by vd.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STW Jobless Thread: Graduate Building Surveyor in need of a job.
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi, I have just completed my Masters in Commercial Building Surveying if anyone knows of any jobs or work experience available I would be very grateful. I am based in Sheffield but would be willing to travel. CV available on request.

Thanks

Mike

saladdodger
    Free Member

Mike good luck but the building industry is not in a good way at the mo, have a look towards the Middle east there is alot of recruitment going on over there. Down here in devon there is bugger all hence I am an unemployed electrician
    Best advice is to put yer CV on totaljobs.com
    Good luck

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi saladdoger, i know hence the stw ad! Have signed up to most of the recruitment sites, and Hays its only been a week but need to get some money coming in pronto! Hope you find some work soon

Mike

badnewz
    Free Member

Try East London Stratford area, Olympics and all that.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Still looking would be very interested in any opportunities of work experience as well.

Thanks

Clembo
    Free Member

Good look with this mate. I'm a GP chartered surveyor. Just gone self employed which is a bit daunting! Amazing how the jobs pages in the RICS magazine has gone down to basically nothing!

rs
    Free Member

Yeah, not a lot getting built in the uk these days and therefore not much to survey, good luck though.

rs
    Free Member

ps, If you haven't already, send your cv directly to as many companies as you can rather than just recruitment companies, a lot of companies don't like recruiters as they have to pay them fee's for hiring you.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Yes 1-2 gradutate roles at anyone time. I did a masters conversion course so my biggest weakness is the lack of any real hands on experience. Out of interest what would you say would be the best route to take. I have been looking for stock and condition surveys and applying for what grad opps are available which are limited in sheffield / north west area. Been phoning around the local surveyors too trying to get some work experience holding ladders but so far no takers.

piha
    Free Member

Stonemonkey, there is quite a lot of work darn sarf regarding the "Building Schools for the Future"(BSF)if you don't mind relocating/travelling. The main players, that I am involved with, are Kier, Wilmott Dixon, Bouygues UK and Interserve.Have a look on their websites and forward your CV.I know that Bouygues UK have been recruiting. Good luck with the job hunt.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Piha, that sounds good I did my dissertation on building flexibility in BSF schools , I'll check them out.

vd

GP surveyor here. We have given (unpaid)work experience to a number over the years. Can be very good move. One of my co-directors started with us about 12-15 years ago, got noticed, got taken up and then re-joined us later. Last graduate we had picked up a proper job at over 20k – not many of them going about though! Telephone or write and follow up. Or turn up on spec – you may get the brush-off from some, but others will be impressed with initiative. Best of luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘STW Jobless Thread: Graduate Building Surveyor in need of a job.’ is closed to new replies.