• This topic has 53 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • STW, I want your chili recipes!
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Well on the back of this post – I entered the SW Chili cookoff at the Dorset Chili festival this weekend…..

And won! Beating the current UK champion and last years heat winner! Roll on the finals 🙂 and the chance to compete in Vegas for 25k.

https://www.facebook.com/UKChilliCookOffAssociation?fref=nf

mogrim

Congratulations! And the recipe???

Incidentally, the chilli I had for lunch was excellent, but probably not up to your standards.

Edit: just seen the recipe! Assume it’s the same?

ericemel
    Free Member

We used beef rib – so dropped the cocoa, swapped beef stock for chicken – it was just too rich with such flavorsome meat, also swapped half the paprika for smoked variety.

Plus the addition of a cinnamon stick and specifically Dark Leffe Beer.

Cougar

How does that contest work? Do you have to turn up with a pan and a big bag of ingredients?

ericemel
    Free Member

Exactly that – from scratch in 4 hours, making 8 pints min.

Approx a half of takeaway container goes to he 6-8 judges – they have a single spoon each – marks on a variety of categories. Presentation and condiments not marked.

The remainder goes to the public who buy a spoon and can taste with proceeds going to charity.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

This is a great chilli recipe. I double up all the spice quantities though.

I’m a jacket potato convert, but still enjoy rice sometimes.

Cougar

Interesting. I might keep an eye out for something local.

Pigface
    Free Member

Pork and Chorizo chilli is great, Chilli is easy you just put the stuff you like in it. Chipotle is a good call adds another dimension to the flavour.

Chipotle is getting big over here these days, first encountered it 5 years ago in America.

ericemel
    Free Member

Cougar – check this page out.

http://ukchillicookoff.co.uk/

Cougar

Ah, cool. That’s an interesting read, ta.

dannyh
    Free Member

I really like this one, just increase the cumin by 50-100% for that nice ‘dry savoury’ taste. Yum.

Chilli

chojin
    Free Member

Just kicked back after throwing together ericemel’s recipe from page 1 – It’s currently simmering away quite nicely.

I have to say, it seems an awful lot of herbs/spices concentrated into a dish that doesn’t appear to have made that much. I believe it’s going to be a rather “intense” experience.

Don’t let me down ericemel!

CHB

Another vote for lots of cumin here, it really makes the chilli. I use whole cumin seeds and then pummel them in a mortar and pestle before adding to the chilli. 3 heaped table spoons in a large pan full is not excessive.
    Anchovies, instant coffee, cocoa all add to the flavour complexity too.

hugo
    Free Member

I use one that I’ve pinched and adapted from one of the above threads.

I generally multiply up to 1 or 2 kg mince, as it’s pretty much the same effort, and does multiple meals.

500g mince
    1 small Onion
    3 garlic cloves
    tbls cumin
    tbls smoked paprika
    tbls oregano
    2 tbls chilli powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tin of beans, eg black eye, kidney, whatever (optional)
    small jar/tin tomato puree (optional)
    4 shots espresso
    100ml ish of beef stock so it’s just wet

Brown mince + onions + garlic
    Slow cooker for 3+ hours
    Eat with lots of white rice, greek yoghurt and strong cheddar.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘STW, I want your chili recipes!’ is closed to new replies.