Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • STW Howgills ride, Sunday May 31st – Interested ??
  • lowey

Thats the fella Johnnie.

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

Many thanks for the link. Looks great!

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the Rivi ride, now just stop organising rides when I’m working!

Will have to see if I can make this one.

wors

Think i might be up for this one, looks a bloody good ride.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sfb are the three routes the long way the short way and the wrong way?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb are the three routes the long way the short way and the wrong way?

a) my way – Browfoot, Gars, Weasdale inc. 4 gates and a ford
    b) middle way – Browfoot, Gars, Cow Bank, Weasdale – unknown to me but allegedly mud prone
    c) cheeky way – Potts, Scar Sikes, Cow Bank, Weasdale – I’ve done it once but forgotten it 🙂 [shortest]

smudge
    Free Member

possible, wrist only out of plaster last week so will see how next couple of weeks go, but on my list do rides 🙂

lowey

Be nice to meet you smudge… hope the wrist is ok mate.

luke.ellis
    Free Member

I will be there, possibly bring a mate along

stucowp
    Free Member

Oh b*gger – he will do the whole climb in big ring – mind you he might puncture – or break his chain

I will fetch some rope deejay and provide a towing service for all those who require some assistance and more hill training for me yeahyyy!

I might even get a puncture going up now!!! yeah MIGHT!!! Ha ha

marsdenman
    Free Member

I will fetch some rope deejay and provide a towing service for all those who require some assistance and more hill training for me yeahyyy!

you may live to regret that offer stu 😀

PaulMc
    Free Member

Bugger. Would live to do that ride, but guess I will just have to settle for Aviemore seeing as I will be driving up there on the 30th 🙂
    Paul

stufield
    Free Member

Can I tag along if walking is allowed

fizzer
    Free Member

Another one when I’ve got the kids. One of my fave routes too. When you pick the next ride date can you make it an odd number of weeks from this one please?

snowpaul
    Free Member

Howdo

its an ace ace ace ride – we did it last summer and even goto see the battle of britain memorial flight fly beneath us ! For the bird lovers we also saw a hen harrier !

Its a hard slog up out of sedbergh and the last climb to the top of the calf is quite testing… The descent down bowderdale is quite something !

Paul

stevestunts
    Free Member

Rode this on Saturday just gone. Didn’t see another soul on bikes the whole way round, apart from some darksiders in Ravenstonedale.

The climb at the start is tough; to quote my mate Pete, “If you ran a bow across my Achilles right now, you’d get a high C”.

However, the singletrack down to Bowderdale is absolute nirvana. The kind of riding you never want to end, and completely worth the previous pull up to the top.

You’ll have a great time 🙂

D0NK

It’s the classic big day out profile, big steep climb then long downhill, like the high street/ullswater loop – which I was going to suggest for the next one but not sure I fancy taking a big group of mountainbikers along ullswater on a summer weekend, pretty sure there would be friction.

I was trying to post that pic junkyard, very apt, but it kept saying no linking allowed.

yoshimi

Are you sure – no housework to do? or your hair? mebbe some knitting? [:roll:]

I see now that I’m going to have to own you on this gentle climb I’ve heard so much about

lowey

Your absence was discussed at length on Sunday Danny, and obviously, your true gender and commitment were called into question. I tried to vigorously defend your honor, but found it increasingly difficult in the face of such valid arguments.

You’d better not miss this one otherwise the situation will be catastrophic for your “alpha” male status. 😛

lowey

Donk, High Street is a great loop, but your bang on about the Ullsewater path. That would be carnage with a group of 20+ on a Sunday.

Could maybe think about Gatescarth, Nan Bield and Garburn loop though for the next.

binners

I’m in!

Trekster

Im working on the planned day.

Going to do it the wrong way round for the first time. Usually start at Tebay due to traveling down from the north. and go UP along Bowderdale and DOWN the Calf.

andyg
    Free Member

+1 hopefully

I’ve done the climb upto the top with the boggies as part of a Wednesday night ride. I am usually the slowest in any group so I don’t think its quite as bad as the impression I’m getting here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but not sure I fancy taking a big group of mountainbikers along ullswater on a summer weekend, pretty sure there would be friction.

I think the natural range of abilities would space riders out into small clumps, and we have as much right to be there as anyone else

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Gatescarth, Nan Bield and Garburn loop though for the next.

I have sworn never to take a bike up Nan Bield again! Although it’s beautiful, I seriously considered feigning injury (or self harming) so someone else would have to carry me out. It is ghastly 🙁

Also if you include those 3 passes you’re looking at 35 miles +

lowey

The carry is more than rewarded by the descent into Kentmere, plus its soon over with if you grit your teeth and plod.

Shouldn’t exclude such a classic loop just for a bit of hard work, or are you going soft ? 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

35 miles pah we will be back for a late lunch and still have time to get a trail centre in later ..naturally sfb you will be off promoting full access by just randomally cycling on footpaths sharing your pearls of wisdom with the ignorant walking masses. 😉
    I agree with sfb actually we are allowed to cycle and just do a staggered groups of 4 matched by speed etc or do it as a group and just shout Boggies /MLEH ers forever whichever you prefer 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

plus its soon over with if you grit your teeth and plod.

and think of England ?

or are you going soft ?

so it seems…

My point is, given the level of softness claimed by the contributors to this thread, most of them would find your suggestion far too difficult.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

naturally sfb you will be off promoting full access by just randomally cycling on footpaths

not exactly random – there’s a section of FP from just above Howtown past Cotehow leading to the BW from Winter Crag, and I always take the unclassified road from Side Farm to Hartsop.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I would if I was around. I should be back home around from 5th June onwards so look forward to any June rides going up north or Borders region.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

BTW, it might be as well to create a new thread for planning the next ride :o)

grumm
    Free Member

I have sworn never to take a bike up Nan Bield again! Although it’s beautiful, I seriously considered feigning injury (or self harming) so someone else would have to carry me out. It is ghastly

Says the man who has just carried up Dollywagon.

I am not that fit, and have a heavy-ish bike, but I reckon I would be up for the 3 passes thing, as long as we had plenty of time.

I’ve not climbed over Winder before but i have done the climb (push) from Birkhaws to Bram Rigg Top – and while it was pretty brutal, it didn’t kill me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Says the man who has just carried up Dollywagon

I shan’t be doing THAT again either 🙁

I’ve not climbed over Winder before but i have done the climb (push) from Birkhaws to Bram Rigg Top

The Calf is quite different – you can ride a fair bit and push the rest without any need for carrying

lowey

Nice one Binners… be good to finally have a ride with you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

just dont bring that mate of yours …you know the one we mean 🙄

ton

barnes, you are a soft shyte.
    trying carrying a bike and 21stone of muscle up nan bield……. 😉

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Fancy this one (with the portly boys at the back)

ton

portly eh, 😉
    we can stiffee it 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

barnes, you are a soft shyte.
    trying carrying a bike and 21stone of muscle up nan bield

from what I recall Nan Bield (300m) was worse than Dollywaggon (275m). I’ve carried up Dollywaggon 4 times now and realised that I don’t want to do that again either – it’s much better going up from Dockray across Matterdale. I have nothing to prove, and I’d rather have fun :o)

trio25
    Free Member

I will try and make it, there is nothing on the calendar but that doesn’t mean the car isn’t already in use.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘STW Howgills ride, Sunday May 31st – Interested ??’ is closed to new replies.