Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)
  • STW Howgills Ride – Sunday 31st May – Roll Call
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

BTW SFB, if you’re interested in IDing everyone…. pic 99 in your gallery is richpenny, also (LOVELY photo) the one called pleased to be near the top (or something)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

pic 99 in your gallery is richpenny

cheers Anna 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Interested in this route as (by chance) we ended up camping outside Sedburgh from Sunday to yesterday – I didn’t have a bike with me but looking out of my tent up Brant Fell I was sorely tempted to go back and get one.

How would this route be going the other way round? Looking at the map I think I’d prefer the long drag up Bowderdale then the steeper fun down Brant Fell. But that’s just based on looking at the maps and I’ve been in this game long enough to know that the maps aren’t everything.

D0NK

A few people there on sunday normally do it the other way round, while I haven’t tried it myself I’d say the way we did it was better. Steep climb but its grassy and not very technical (so not loads of fun going down I’d have thought) and all together not too bad(for a bloody great climb), specially in nice weather, then a looooong twisty singletrack downhill for 5 miles!

EDIT: Sorry you said Brant fell, I’ve no idea what thats like.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you’re camping in Sedbergh you can go up the way we went and down either Bram Rigg or White Fell (which run roughly parallel). Both give about 450m uninterrupted steep grassy downhills with scattered rocks and a few dropoffs/jumps. This can be done in a little over 2 hours.

DeeJay
    Free Member

How would this route be going the other way round?

Until Sunday I have always done this route ‘the other way’ – starting off from Ravenstonedale. The Bowderdale section is good either way – however I don’t think its 5 miles of downhill – if anything its a gentle down from Ravenstonedale taking you to the bottom of the climb – ie going UP the way we did it. The descent from The Calf into Sedbergh (the climb on Sunday) is a BLAST – very, very fast.
    The decider for me was the second section from Ravenstonedale back to Sedbergh – once you get the tarmac out of the way the offroad section is much better this way – especially the bit through Murthwaite.
    So decision made – the way we did it on Sunday is best for that route – I just need to work out another route going up Bowderdale and down White Fell – simple!

Trekster

My pref is the opposite(wrong?)way.

Coming from the North I park @ Tebay, ride along the road and then BW to the farm at the end of Bowderdale.

Then up Bowderdale and down Calf(from trig point) to the road. Somtimes go for coffee and cake but otherwise usually head back towards Tebay but then cross over/under the M6 and head out and round Borrowdale Valley back to Tebay.

Misses out that stinky farm track between Sedburgh and Ravenstonedale.

I would imagine that due to ongoing erosion that the Bowderdale “track” will become quite difficult to pedal UP so down will be better eventually.

lowey

I can see the merits of the descent from the Calf back to sedbergh, but the little run down through the woods at Murthwaite is a cracker. I really enjoy this bit.

Vortexracing

BTW Lowey, did you get the car fixed?

lowey

Yes mate… seized cv joint.

grumm
    Free Member

Steep climb but its grassy and not very technical (so not loads of fun going down I’d have thought)

Wrong! I did the descent down from The Calf over Bramm Rigg Top down past Winder again the other day, and it’s bloody fantastic. Not very technical but loads of fun little drops and bumps to jump off, super-fast, and amazing views.

The VG Guide describes the Bowderdale BW as being disappointing – boggy etc – not tried it yet though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The VG Guide describes the Bowderdale BW as being disappointing

whoever wrote that was a tart :o)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry for dragging the thread back, just wanted to say a big thanks from me and pete to everyone who was there. Such a great day, will be trying to fit in a long weekend before the end of summer, so hopefully catch up with some of you again. Pete wants a new bike now, but thinks it might have gears 🙂

DeeJay
    Free Member

Rich – glad you enjoyed it – the next one is already planned!
    thread here

Viewing 14 posts - 161 through 174 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘STW Howgills Ride – Sunday 31st May – Roll Call’ is closed to new replies.