Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • stw hive on network plugs
  • showerman
    Free Member

would if i could just network the house but due to long illness this just is not going to happen.
    these network plugs that plug into electric sockets do they work and if so do they give better speeds than wifi
    i have a very poor zone at rear and the skybox just cannot connect to the wifi
    any recommendations, would love the adaptor to have a through socket on it so i do not start loosing sockets
    all and any help will be greatly recived as i said at the start i would just get the floorboards up and wire the place but mind is good body is falling apart:(

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been using them for years. Most of the hardware is the same, banged out in china. Ive had over 3 devices fail over the years and some of them degrade and become flaky, esp the wifi repeater ones.

In the end Ive thrown cash at it and now the house is flooded with BT hotspot units. They seem to be the most stable Ive had although, as before, Ive had one die for no reason. Can be got from ebay for not too much.

This post comes to you via one.

akira

Used them for a while n%=very had ¡©y iss¥] s with th………..

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve just had BT installed and the YouView box requires a LAN connection.

I’ve got a Devolo 1200 device and have so far used it for HD TV streaming and PS4 online gaming.

No buffering or any issues seen so far.

The PS4 has been getting 50/60+ mbps download speeds on it. Faster than via wifi, but I think that’s just the crappy default settings the PS4 and router selects.

ahsat

We have them in the upstairs bedroom which this computer I am currently typing from connects to and one behind the tv for the freesat box thing. I connect to work vpn and run iplayer etc (over a fibre connection) on the one upstairs whilst the one downstairs happily streams video etc. Not had any problems at all. We also ran them in the last house with dont think had the worlds best wiring over 3 stories and it worked. You do really need them to be in the socket, and then we just run an extension out of the other socket.

antigee

as above edit as ahsat says and are excellent used over last few years with various layouts – avoid extension leads especially with surge protection running streaming video netflix, fetch, xbox live etc

brassneck

You do really need them to be in the socket, and then we just run an extension out of the other socket.

I run TP Link ones (including one with it’s own WLAN AP) – the above is a good call. Any extensions that offer mains filtering (usually sold as protection for your computer supply) are also a no no IME, they induce terrible packet loss.

Rio

I’ve been using them for years, never had any problems. In fact this is going through a very old one to my ADSL router. Solwise seem to be a good place to go for them. You can get passthrough ones which have a built-in mains socket but if it’s hidden out of the way and you have space a two-way mains adaptor in the socket works just as well.

Edit: but as above, they don’t always play well with extension leads.

Notter
    Free Member

I use a Devolo set up with wi-fi repeater upstairs as there’s a dead spot and it works a charm. If you’re not getting a wi-fi one then it’s as simple as plugging in the extenders and running a network cable, no setup. I’ve also used Solwise in the past with no issues. Nothing I’ve said there is new, but….the one piece I would say, if you’re pushed for mains sockets, then get a setup with mains pass-through so you don’t lose the socket.

showerman
    Free Member

have been roaming google have found some nice double sockets with wifi and data ports but saying all must be wired including router connection into the same circuit
    i have 4 separate electrical circuits the router is on 1 the other area i need to cover is on another, are the ones you guys using spread across different electrical cicuits willy nilly to get the results you all needed.

Cletus

+1 Solwise. I have used their 200 Mbps units for years (various models) and just recently bought two 1200 units to connect a VMware server I keep in the loft. They two speeds play happily together.

For your requirements the 500 Mbps options would probably be the sweet spot.

Solwise

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

I have used them across different rings before, depends on the quality of the wiring and what sort of speeds you need.

Couldn’t get more than 10Mbs on some “100Mbs netgear” ones.

I think it’s one of those things you won’t know till you try it. Lots of people will report success because they use them for a netflix 3Mbs feed.

showerman
    Free Member

will be fiber broardband from thursday under normal day to day wifi is very good, but down loading to sky box via wifi always ends up in films or boxsets crashing as to slow.

Nobby

the YouView box requires a LAN connection.

You can run it via wifi using a TP Link WR702N in client mode – works brilliantly on our TalkTalk one. It’s £17 on amazon & easy for a luddite like me to set up.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Well I’m not a bee or a wasp but before we renovated the place we’re in now and installed Cat 5e everywhere I used Devolo powerline adaptors for years with great success including a Wi-Fi access point in the master bedroom.

showerman
    Free Member

thanks for the advice guys. the devolo kit looks what i am after solwise also. i only rewired in last 10yrs so hope that helps.
    still would rather cable the house but would be fast asleep on the floor before even getting the floor boards up illness is a life changer.
    off to check prices

showerman
    Free Member

just a follow up to all your advice given
    went for the devolo 1200+ system in the end as it gave me the best choice of plugs for my needs, why the 1200+ and not any of the others in the range i always go for the top product rather than wishing i had afterwards
    it seems i have gone from a good signal in the front bedroom router location then flakey everywhere else to having a singnal to the bottom of my garden:)
    i bow to the hive and there advice
    and if you have a wifi or network issue these things work i have not tried downloading to the sky hd box yet but will over the next day or to

Cougar

Used them for a while n%=very had ¡©y iss¥] s with th………..

Where’s that [like] button…?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘stw hive on network plugs’ is closed to new replies.