Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • STW – help me decide level of suffering tomorrow…
  • amedias
    Free Member

I’m booked in for the Dartmoor Demon tomorrow with a friend, short route @ ~60miles and 6000ft (based on last year of same route) + a 10mile 1000ft ride there and back. I’m familiar with the route, I’ve done it before with no bother but there are some steep hills (often 10%+ and a few 20-25%) along the way.

It’s going to be pretty rainy, I have the choice of two bikes available

Bike 1 – 18.5lbs, compact 34/50, 10sp 11-30 but no guards (or available clearance to fit them)

Bike 2 – 21lbs, weirdy compact 36/48, 7sp 11-24 but has full length guards!

Both fit me equally well and are comfy enough for 100milers, so do I take the lighter weight, more appropriately geared bike for the hills but suffer no guards and a total soaking from above and below

OR

The heavier, not particularly well geared for Dartmoor’s 20-25% climbs but hopefully get less soggy arse and spray from below?

scaled
    Free Member

If you’re booked on with a mate, a real mate, then you need the one with full length guards.

Make sure he’s got them too!

amedias
    Free Member

that is a good point and at the moment that’s the choice I’ve made, the whole point was to ride with him as it’s his first ride like this and last year I was solo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘STW – help me decide level of suffering tomorrow…’ is closed to new replies.