Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • STW guitarists
  • schroedingerscat
    Free Member

“Never been into Fenders much. They just have an air of cheapness”

Yeah I used to think that as well, even pricey Strats definitely still do, and I won’t touch them but I’ve got Les Pauls,a 335 a 355 and a firebird as well….. but I still love the way my Teles(69’Thinline and 09′ US custom shop) play and sound. and I probably play them more than my “better” guitars.:)

emsz
    Free Member

Well
    It was nice, light action on the neck, sound was good ( you’re right Cat they do need a hard strum to get the best of the sound) but it was a bit big, I could get used to it. It wasn’t as unwieldy as I thought it would be, just didn’t feel right especially for that much money

Sounded a lot like a Epiphone semi I play occasionally

oldgit
    Free Member

Slight hijack.
    My 14 year old has a Jackson KVX10? think that’s right.
    Anyway he wants to upgrade the pickups with his hard earned. Not knowing anything I don’t know if its a good idea.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickf
    Free Member

that’s why I’ve got about fifteen cluttering the place up. Thank god That’s why I’m single

Tidied that up for you!

Kunstler

That seems quite a particularly advanced upgrade for a 14 year old to want. My lad, also 14 and guitarist, generally just wants something else such as a drum kit. Not a bad thing though, if he’s that much into it.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

you could be right there nickf:)

Emsz..I’d say if it didnt feel right, then it isn’t. The one I played, much as it was obviously a great guitar, it just didn’t really come together for me….

BoardinBob

Can’t recommend Simon & Patrick enough. I bought a Woodland Cedar a few months ago and I just love it. So easy to play and sounds beautiful.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a Takamine EG 541SC, I do like it but find it a very bright sounding guitar, and the neck is very narrow, Kind of wish I had gone for a full dreadnaught and wider neck for my 1st guitar.

Its like this one, and am considering trading it in for something else. And that’s not my fence before you start!!

emsz
    Free Member

Cat, if you played C&W or American folk, it would be perfect. Just wasn’t quite the right shape or size. Gives me an excuse to try some more 😀

Oldgit I’m sorry I don’t know enough about leccy technical stuff to give you an answer. Someone on here will though I’m sure.

oddjob
    Free Member

I just bought my first “real” guitar this week. It’s a Morgan (no not the Canadian ones, it’s Norwegian! and I can’t find out much about them but it sounds good to me) I like it and it was cheap for a hand made guitar

My first experience of going into a music shop on my own to look at guitars scared me off rather a lot. I thought bike shops could be bad, but this was dreadful.

I am just learning to play and realised that I wanted/needed a steel stringed guitar and not some cheap old nylon stinged classical guitar that someone gave me. I was just completely intimidated and ended up leaving with a set of strings for the guitar I was hoping to replace 😳

The problem now is that I don’t think I’ll be allowed to consider getting anything else until I am at concert standard 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Never been into Fenders much. They just have an air of cheapness

Telecasters though – planks with strings – that’s the whole point

moving along – i’ve had a strange urge to try a mandolin. the epiphone mm-30 is around £100 and i probably woundn’t want to go more than £150 with the amount of musical talent i have – any thoughts, experiences from the hive mind?

_tom_
    Free Member

Not knowing anything I don’t know if its a good idea.

Good pickups are a worthwhile upgrade to a good guitar (if it sounds good unplugged then some decent pickups will complement the acoustic tone) BUT I think that a decent amp/speaker is more important and will affect the overall sound more than a set of pickups. Speakers are probably the most important thing as they’re what your sound is actually coming out of. Go for something with Celestion G12H30s or V30s, can’t go wrong 🙂 Of course amps are well expensive compared to pickups.

emsz
    Free Member

Bigbutslimmerbloke Oh yes go on. Mandolins sound amazing!

metalheart
    Free Member

Did someone mention telecasters? I’ll give you telecaster!:

timdrayton
    Free Member

Bigbutslimmerbloke

I had a mandolin for a while and got a bit bored after mastering losing my religion and a couple of irish pickng tunes i got bored Tbh

timdrayton
    Free Member

Tom

I think that the pickups/electrics are at least as important as the amp tbh

I got this for £150

Its a £120 peavey with fender electrics bridge and seymour duncan coiltapped pickups

I use it with a vox valve amp i got fir £50

It sounds much better, and has more range than a fender tele i looked at for £650…

emsz
    Free Member

resurecting a thread ‘cos I can’t find a new guitar one.

Anyone use all fourths tuning (EADGCF) there’s some octave stuff I want to try

any other interesting tunings?

lodious
    Free Member

I’m using Admiral tuning at the mo…it’s quite low, so you need at least 12’s, really like it though.

http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/tuning/alternate-guitar-tuning-chart/

Klunk
    Free Member

quite partial, though i couldn’t see it in your list, to

CGDGBE

(used for never going back again fleetwood mac) similar to Admiral and quite low though usually played with a capo so not a problem.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Takamine were very popular about 10-15 years back…..less so nowadays as I see it. I’m not really an ‘acoustic’ player as such-but I’m a fan of Martins myself. Takamine’s always seem a little ‘cold’ when I’ve heard them.

Oldgit: its a toughie imo. I’ve not played that guitar, but Jackson’s are well made and the ones that I’ve played all play very nicely. At that sort of pricepoint its just starting to become worthwhile upgrading the pickups if he really likes the guitar in general. It is gonna cost over £100 to do a worthwhile upgrade though. Is he just into playing metal? Does he study the instrument properly and want to progress in the future? If so, I’d just leave as is and get a different style guitar-he will almost certainly be needing one if he wants to look at other styles/sit down with the guitar!

EDIT: Just seen that this is 10 months old 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘STW guitarists’ is closed to new replies.