Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • STW (Good) Runners – a question of speed
  • brassneck

Does a 2 hour 36km run (2:30 elapsed, 2:02 active) sound feasible? With 550m of climbing? Sounds like elite level to me, but I’m not even close to mediocre.

Yes I’ve had a CR taken off me and I’m bitter 😀 – any half decent runner could beat my time up this particular hill, its lack of competition that puts me on top, but curious as too how quick that is – very good club runner or riding a bike.

mogrim

The marathon record time is about 2:02 something or other, and that’s 42km on a nearly flat course. While I’d say 36km with 550m of climbing is theoretically possible I’d say that’s someone on a bike.

finbar
    Free Member

3m23s/km pace or 5m42s/mile pace. Is it offroad or road? I’d say it was possible on road if you had a bunch of decent excellent club runners out to smash that exact route (and it does equate to a good marathon training distance), but offroad it’d be a hell of a stretch.

jimdubleyou

I’m no runner, but my 50 year old brother does ultra marathons for fun.

Looking at Strava his recovery pace is about 5:30mins/km, so that would put his time at about 3.5 hours.

His last race pace is something like 4:30m/km which is down to 2 hours 40, but he kept that up for 5+ hours.

So, 2 hours not outside the realms of possibility for a really good club runner.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Easy way to check.
    Click on the ride from the leaderboard and check the pace chart. If they’re doing 2min/mile downhill their unlikely to be running.

alanf
    Free Member

^^^ As Finbar, bloody good going if it is off-road with that amount of climbing and somebody actually running!

theteaboy
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a run. Putting the pace and distance together, it’s longer than most peoples’ marathon training runs at marathon pace for a 2:30 runner.

That means that it’s either marathon race pace for about the top 0.5% of club runners (which they wouldn’t do for that distance unless it’s a race) or an easier run for a genuine elite.

It’s either Wilson Kipsang or a guy on a bike.

finbar
    Free Member

Also, come to think of it, no-one stops for 30 minutes on a two hour run at 5.42m/mile pace. It’s a ride.

brassneck

It was on road, a couple of the hills register as strava cat 4 in bike terms. Maybe I’ll go for a passive aggressive ‘great run!’ kudos 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Also, come to think of it, no-one stops for 30 minutes on a two hour run at 5.42m/mile pace. It’s a ride.

No-one stops for 30mins on a 2 hour ride either!

brassneck

It’s either Wilson Kipsang or a guy on a bike.

Tea 1 Keyboard 0

bensales
    Free Member

5:20 miling for 2 hours (22.5 miles). On the flat that’s bordering on elite women’s world record for the marathon, and it’s top 10 in the UK for men’s marathon time[1]. Not impossible but extremely unlikely. The people who can run at that speed in the UK should be easily identifiable by their name.

It’s someone who’s left their Garmin on the bike setting and pottered at 11mph. Report it to Strava.

[1] http://www.powerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=Mar&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2017

finbar
    Free Member

Was my maths wrong? Ooops 😳

dovebiker

That’s pretty swift running, top club level – unless the trail is wide, with few obstacles and a steady gradient it’s unlikely you could maintain that stride going uphill.

bensales
    Free Member

finbar – Member
    Was my maths wrong? Ooops

I calculated on the moving time, not the elapsed. Either way, close enough and way faster than most people will ever be!

finbar
    Free Member

and way faster than most people will ever be!

Surfer to the thread 😉 ?

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I saw ‘running’ and ‘speed’ in the title and got excited, not my kind of running though. #ThreadDidNotDeliver

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘STW (Good) Runners – a question of speed’ is closed to new replies.