Viewing 35 posts - 201 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Sorry for the last-minute and slightly uninvited reply, but just wondering what sort of riding you guys are doing ?

I’m near Annecy for another week, with MTB/road bikes. It’s just an XC hardtail, and I’ve not got pads or full-face. I’ve ridden at Let Gets before on this bike, and was a bit crap (Black Canyon 😯 ), but it was fun. So if you’re just doing lift-assisted stuff, that wouldn’t suit my relative crapness on a bike. Hope you’re enjoying the nice weather anyhow 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Ambrose, excellent. I will ping makkag an email to see if he wants to join in.

Given we’re probably just doing the descent, maybe with a little climb , we’ll only be out for a short time.

If it’s just the two of us we can come back in the van as the van will be at Samoens regardless as Mrs Stoner will want to hand over the brats and ride back on her Road bike.

And if it is just the two of us, we could probably enjoy the climb from chavannes.

Edit, DJ the bourgeoidescent is quite short (being only probably a couple of hours of bike time. I expect to spend longer in the bar than on the bike) so might not be worth the trip over. I might only get one more ride in early next week and it will probably be the same one, but with jambalaya. Others in the thread may be around to ride with though.

makkag
    Free Member

Sorry been a bit absent , riding and falling off a fair bit inter spliced with gin and swimming (not in that order !) Great to ride with you all and great to be back on a bike !! here till next Saturday and have some day passes left if anyone wants a ride . Stoner Ambrose I could do Sunday if there is room and you don’t mind swearing as I climb as I’m unfit as at the moment .

Stoner
    Free Member

Makkag, bags of room and little climbing.

That makes three. Well give the thread another 18hrs and then probably move to email to finalise details tomorrow evening

Ambrose

Makkag- I’ve emailed you my phone number. Mark, I believe you already have my number. I have yours.

Bring on the sunshine and smiles.

Ambrose

jambalaya
    Free Member

Enjoy guys, you have all the route info you need ? In Chantermerle its up past the little chalet and look for right turn on overgrown double track, next little right turn off that should have a little vtt sign and be fairly obvious into the woods

Hope weather is good so this view greets you on the ride in to the cross

Sheldon’s photo

Will let you know when I have firm date. Ambrose hope to see you anyway (to thank you for all the route info you’ve shared in the past), saw you where there till 26 so assumed you’d be free for “an audience” anytime 😉

@makk if you have spare passes I’ll buy them

vinnyeh

Change of plans means that we’re returning to Morzine for a few more days, rather than heading home – I’d have liked to join Stoner et al tomorrow, but it’s our travel day 😕 – if there’s a group going to revisit the route next week I’d be keen to tag along if there’s room for yet another – otherwise is there any practical (affordable) way of returning from Samoens if I did the trip solo?

Stoner
    Free Member

Vinney, if jambalaya can sort his shit out in time I think wednesday will be my last chance to get out before we start thinking about packing up and winding our way back to Albion. There would be room in the van for the three of us to get back from Samoens.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ambrose / Makkag YGM

jambalaya
    Free Member

Vinney, if jambalaya can sort his shit out in time I think wednesday will be my last chance to get out

There is much truth in this ! In my defence we have been “on duty” to make sure my 88 & 80yo parents in law are ok and get to/from the Normandy coast ok and its good news really they wanted to extend their trip.

@vinney let’s try and make a plan to ride it together then. So you arrive sun and leave when ? We’d leave one car in Samoens. I think the cheapest way to do it solo aside from road riding back to Les Gets/Morzine via Taninges which is about 25k with 400m climbing or tackling the climb back to Joux Plan which is 1000m up would be to find a taxi from Samoens to Joux plan that could take your bike. We took a taxi with a trailer from Samoens all the way back to Morzine 60€ for 3 of us.

I’d like to do Stoner’s Col Basse route too – I’ve done the Ecrenanz – Esserts bottom bit before. That ride is easy to do with the lift system plus pedaling/pushing up. Could do both in a day’s mainly off-piste riding.

vinnyeh

Here in Morzine finally after hellish journey, leaving again Friday.
    Jambalaya/Stoner are you still interested in doing this?
    Wednesday would probably suit me best, but can be flexible over date/time.

Stoner
    Free Member

Hi vinny.

Im afraid we’re probably heading back on Wednesday now. I’m taking Jr riding greens tomorrow and then we have the joy of cleaning the flat and packing in Tuesday so it doesn’t look like we’ll get a chance to ride. A few others in this thread may well be around though.

Today, Ambrose, makkag and I rode the bourgeoise. Has to be said it was v tricky after recent rain. Clay on the top was slippy, off camber roots on the rest were slick and just wanted to throw you off the hill. A real challenge. Would love to have another go when bone dry though.

So family Stoner are wrapping up for summer in Morzine. It’s been fantastic this season. Predominantly great weather. Some massive walks and great to ride with some new faces. Same again next year?

Ambrose

‘Today, Ambrose, makkag and I rode the bourgeoise. Has to be said it was v tricky after recent rain. Clay on the top was slippy, off camber roots on the rest were slick and just wanted to throw you off the hill.’

Too right! Some of those drops really, really worried me. I’d not really want to do the ride again unless it was properly dry. I am an old fashioned sort of bloke who likes his wheels to grip the ground at least some of the time 😉 An excellent ride though, superb.

weeksy

Same again next year?

Hell yeah, why not. We’re doing a slightly different trip next year, but we will be planning 1-2 days around Geneva way, so no reason at all we can’t integrate one of them days into being a riding day in Morzine for me.

makkag
    Free Member

morning all lovely day in the PDS this morning – yesterday was a fine adventure with great company but as mentioned bloody tricky when wet!! im here till friday so may have one more day pass to cash in if people are around . Never done the col du coux if anyones up for it .

I will be here mid august again next year fingers crossed there will be an overlap.

Ambrose

Dean- it was a fine day indeed. After beasting myself on the Bourgeoise and then a bunch of Les Gets and Pleney runs I was dead beat- so I stayed up late watching vids and drinking vin rouge. And then rode Col de cou today, complete with a plate of cheese and meat from La Laspisa in my tum, like a big bloaty football.

It was great, the breeze at the top was most welcome after the ride/ push up to the col. There are a couple of erosion gullies to look out for on the descent. And no exposure!

Ambrose

Dean- my phone seems totally unable to save your number. I’m hosting friends who would like to take you up on your offer of the pass. Can you let me know price etc please.

Ambrose

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bourgeoise. Seems I may have to redfine my description of myself as a mincer then 😉 I confess I’ve only ridden it in the dry and the cow path at the top is a modest pita in the dry, enough to rattle your teeth out, the descent is a pleasure.

Stoner’s prediction about me not getting my sh.t together is sadly prescient as still here in Paris 😐 Perhaps I should change my username to Mr Useless. Ambrose sorry not to get to meet up this time, La Laspisa is a great little place.

Weeksy if you are going to be in/around Geneva for 2017 and want some suggestions let me know. A good biking and sailing friend lives in Nyon and I have spent quite a bit of time around there. Only an hour to Morzine/Les Gets 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Had a great ride with you guys on the 15th.
    A big thanks to Stoner for taking the time to plan the route and even transfer the route to a map..ice cream and beer 2000m up next to a lake 23km ridden and all but about 100m of the 2000m of ascents via chairlifts and cable-car..2000m of descent s..fantastic..I’d do this again in a heartbeat..

Scamper
    Free Member

Love that GR5 route down off Mossettes, stopping there for a drink of course!

tymbian
    Free Member

We went down the other side earlier, turned right for a steep singletrack descent to a cafe, a small black run down to another lift then took the lift up for a vicious twisty red through the trees..
    My favorite descent..

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers tymbian. Good to me your gang.
    I even got a pic too 🙂

and here’s a pair of likely lads (Ambrose L and Weeksy R)

and a fine view of the Swiss side from the top of the Crosets Red descent. That one:

…down to another lift then took the lift up for a vicious twisty red through the trees..
    My favorite descent..

And here’s makkag and Ambrose on the Bourgeoise. No view that day, looking straight into the murk. But things brightened up once Ambrose had dug out his Hawaiian.

weeksy

Plans are falling into place for me and 2 of the lads to hit Morzine for first week of July next year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Enjoy the birthday trip too !

wysiwyg
    Free Member

In other news they’ve decided to close the super m and mossettes lifts a week early. Hope no ones enroute atm

Stoner
    Free Member

unfortunately I’m still tied to school holiday dates so even if I smuggle Stoner Jrs out of the country and away from school early (as we didi this year to get to the TdF), It’s usually end of week 3 beginning week 4 before I can get to Morz.

weeksy

Our dates are decided by me really, i was thinking that it makes sense to go as early as possible as the trails will be in the best condition then ?

I’m still likely to do a day in Aug though as we’re still passing through the area for the wifes birthday weeklong extravaganza

tymbian
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, what still amuses me is being at the cafe by that lake everyone sipping a cold one when Ambrose comes around the corner holding a phone to his ear and asks ” does anyone know anything about capital gains tax?” Funnily enough 2 financial advisers in our group..who’d of thunk it?
    Another pic..think this was returning back up to Mossetts lift

weeksy

I’ll bet if he’d asked about building a citric server farm we’d have had a few answers too

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

Doubly sorry to have missed it.

Ambrose

Hiraeth- (‘longing’ in Welsh) is calling me home to Wales but I have had a superb time here in Morzine. I met some great people, did some great rides, then broke some great forks. The hire bike was a bit of an eye-opener too. 650b, marvelous.

And Jo is always open for a bit of tax advice…

tymbian
    Free Member

Setting off on the 15th

tymbian
    Free Member

Ambrose – you’ll let me know where your based in Wales..I’ll give you a shout on a future road-trip and grab some trail time…

weeksy

Me and the lads have just booked 5th October at bike park Wales, but also up for a new thread for a day at Afan etc.

Ambrose

tymbian, I’m in Garnant, a sleepy hamlet at the south west end of the Brecon Beacons. Sort of between Swansea and Carmarthen. Nearest town is Ammanford. Give me a shout when you’re coming this way.

Viewing 35 posts - 201 through 235 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016’ is closed to new replies.