Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)
  • STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016
  • makkag
    Free Member

Im Staying on the The Montrond/Morzine border opposite the Ridge Hotel so have to get back that way so would be happy to share a taxi bus if with the op if the decent is worth it !

extremenik
    Free Member

Staying over in Samoens from 4-12 August with miss’s and x2 daughters, if any of you guys fancy coming over for some of the singletrack, I will be riding alone.

I’m used to riding bikepark stuff in the Alps but find myself now to be an overweight 50 year old and fancy some good singletrack but don’t fancy getting stuck out in a back valley on my own.

Would be happy to give people a lift up to Lac Joux Plan after to get home, or even meet there to get the run down into Samoens.

weeksy

I’m on my holidays, if it costs me a few euro to get back to meet Mrs Weeksy I really don’t care.

Would it be viable for her to collect me from there or better for us to head back to morzine?

dirtyboy

Extremenik I’ll give you a shout closer to the time, as your out around the same time as me

extremenik
    Free Member

Dirtyboy-no problems, will look forward to it!

weeksy

Getting closer now, just a month until we head to Burgundy. Then down to Morzine for the day 🙂

Looking forward to meeting up with you lads.

weeksy

How’s the plans then guys ?

Who’s looking at meeting up on the morning of the 15th ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Just arrived at the Marmotte d’or in Montriond . We were making good progress so pushed on to make it for last orders today instead of an overnight en route.

Disappointingly the road from Tanninges to the praz de lys Road bridge is still as ropey as ever. They’ve patched a few strips but some of the apex are going to be hairy for the TDF descent.

We’re planning on watching the race on the final descent near the plateau de nyon since we will have kids and no desire to jam ourselves in around the joux plan.

I’m still hopeful of being up for a ride on the 15th. Stitches will have been out of my finger for a week so should be ok to ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

looking over the balcony on to the road at the Montriond end of the base of the Col de Joux vert climb and there’s a constant stream of cyclists setting out to attack it. Great to see, but a little too much rapha for my liking 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ll be out there until the 20th.. email in profile, however I will be on the downhill bike as the capra is staying in the UK

weeksy

Don’t worry Stoner, i won’t be doing Lycra 😉

I may have my Les Gets jersey on from 2014 though 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weeksy I am still planning on being there, have not booked accomodation yet but plan is to arrive afternoon of 14th, ride on 15th and maybe 16th then move on.

Enjoy the TdF Stoner, remember to post in the stage thread !

weeksy

Brilliant lads… Can’t wait now… i’m just hoping not to get even fatter and slower before i go as a few weekends of not much cycling coming up.

Better news is that the drive over will be nicer too as I bought the comfy Mondeo 🙂

Still need to work out a plan though for what Mrs Weeksy and our boy are going to do while we’re out on the trails

jambalaya
    Free Member

i’m just hoping not to get even fatter and slower before i go as a few weekends of not much cycling coming up.

I am a bit worried about holding you all up 😳 I hate doing that so if it looks like that I’ll cut out a bit early and head for the lunch stop

The new car is perfect for this sort of trip. Stoner can help I am sure on ideas, drive up to Linderets “goat village” (bit touristy) then drive over for an ice cream and view of Mont Blanc from Joux Plane (top of TdF climb on this Saturday’s stage), lunch with us, afternoon at Morzine pool (not sure whether its gets more sun am or pm) ?

weeksy

I think most of us worry in that context, “will i be quick enough up hill”, “will i be holding them up donwnhill”, “will i be able to do the trails they do”

But as with most MTB group rides, you find your place in the group quickly, both uphill and down hill, you work out who you want to be behind and who you want to be in front of.

I’d say on average i hold my own both up and down, but when the going gets jumpy and gappy, i’m WAY out of my depth. I’m just a hang on kind of rider instead of a flair riders who flies in the sky.

Ambrose

I’m getting a bit excited about this too, and also need to stake my claim to be the slow one at the back. Please be nice to the bloke in the Hawaiin shirt.

Can someone remind me again, where and when are we meeting?

makkag
    Free Member

Todays going to be my fist outing on a bike for 5 weeks after fracturing spine so I’m staking my claim for the back as well

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

What a comedy group

Frodo’s finger
    My two broken knees
    Your back

After the ride we’ll all have been blinded by Ambrose’s shirt

It’s bit like that joke about whether you have to be able to run faster than a bear, no just faster than your friend

Weeksy the only gaps I’ll be hitting are the ones I didn’t see – the Les Gets 4x track is laugh though

makkag
    Free Member

stereotypical middle aged men with ailments .. done 2 solid hours today and whilst a bit sore should be ok in three weeks . had to have a word with myself however as they have just rebuilt a small jump line in my local spot and without thinking i rode the first two jumps as its on a trail .. then thought what the fluck are you up too and walked away with my head down from all the cool kids !

weeksy

Torico.

Is just up road from bar Robinson and Rhodos bar. Just down the hill from the square towards church/river.

9ish to 9.30 tops.

weeksy

Mrs Weeksy ain’t feeling it. Women!

Who’s taking me to burgundy then if I break my legs?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plan A – don’t break yourself
    Plan B – we’ll think of something if necessary 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wheres my comment gone? I’ll say again, it appears to be a bit pedally for the DH bike so I’ll have to pass

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would expect limited pedalling, mostly marked bike trails and if we do the off-piste after lunch I may well be pushing up the 200m climb anyway.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ll just rock up and see what’s cooking maybe. Im happy to take anyone off and mooch the DH tracks if they’re not feeling it. Show them some off piste* etc

Edit * what’s left of it.

feltmountain
    Free Member

I’ll be in Morzine over the first week in August, not done any proper riding in 9 years so should be interesting!
    Added my name to the spread sheet thing 🙂

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ok, so I have somewhat lost track.

To refresh;

I am in Morzine from Saturday 30th July till Saturday 6th August with friends, happy to be social but it is our kids fist time so will be tailoring the days to suit their stamina/confidence etc plus we are planning some other activities, rafting etc.

So from the Saturday 6th August up to and including Tuesday 9th my son (16 and capable) and myself (old and incapable) are very much up for a more out there type xc ride taking in some of the lesser visited spots. I am near incapable of using a GXP file or anything similar so would be very happy if anyone could show us around. We are in a van so can travel to meet up or we have a spare seat if that helps.

The plan is to camp somewhere those few days so any campsite recommendations would be good, we are set up so we could just pull up a set up anywhere but showers are always a godsend.

After that we are going to get over to Pila for a couple of days before I take my lad over to Les Arcs for the afternoon of the 13th as he has a few days with Trail Addiction prior to volunteering on the Trans Savoie.

I am then camping in Bourg St Maurice from 13th to the 20th on my jack so anyone out there then it would be good to meet up for rides/beers etc.

Hopefully some of those dates work for people….

Roll on Friday and fingers crossed for a trouble free ferry crossing!!

therag
    Free Member

Was there last week, found a lovely little trail to avoid the brake bumps starting from going straight over the first switch back on the panoramic trail of chatel. A long, single track path all the way down to the goat village. Highly recommended.
    Also if you can get someone to show you col du cu, it makes a great escape from the crowds.

weeksy

I’ve swapped my bike from the DH weapon 😉 to a more gentle 180mm Pivot Mach 6 carbon for the day. I think the DH bike would have been too much for me in honesty.

Full face, check
    knee armour, check
    body armout, check
    Snowcard insurance, check.

I think i’m all good.

we are getting drunk at lunchtime to make the afternoon a bit more exciting though yeah 🙂 I’m sure i’ll jump more after a few tequilas

😉

ahsf
    Free Member

@ Mbnut I should be about Bourg st Maurice them dates and will most properly meet your son as I am helping Ali and the team on the Trans-savoie too ( I live in the area).I could possibly ride Morzine as its been a few years since my last ride there and will be racing in Samoens on the 6-7th (mud tyres at the ready).

tymbian
    Free Member

5 of us will be there from 12 – 19th. 4 being Morzine virgins. I don’t mind meeting up on the 15th. My email is in my profile…I don’t mind Pedally once I’m at the top and travelling horizontally.

weeksy

2 weeks!

Bring it on. I’m excited

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s all looking good. Not ridden for obvious reasons but finger improving so may go out in the next day or 2.

The town is feeling good. Post TDF high

dirtyboy

I’ve arrived, going to grab a lift pass tomorrow and do a few shakedown runs on the pleney

peaslaker
    Free Member

My days added to the spreadsheet. Bit sporadic and looking like I’ll miss the 15th on current plans… which could change. I’m based in central Morzine for weekends and the back end of the month.

Ambrose

I’m really sorry folks- I might have messed up the spreadsheet. I think I have returned it to its correct state, can you all check please.

Sorry 🙁

See you all soon.

tymbian
    Free Member

There’s a spreadsheet?

ade9933
    Free Member

Hey Guys – great thread. I’m out in Les Gets till the 12th & well up for a meet up. Couple of days I can’t do due to riding with the kids, kids birthdays & wedding anniversaries etc but otherwise I can be pretty flexible.

I can easily ride over to Morzine on the first lift or meet 1/2 way – whatever…

Anyone around?

I’ll be on a bouncy 160mm bike which is more capable than me on the downs and pedals upwards too but is also happy on chair lifts so I’m up for whatever- any break-bump dodging routes would be great. Samoens sounds fab.

Ade

ade9933
    Free Member

p.s. I have a pass for tomorrow (Thursday) a.m. if anyone is about.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘STW Get-together, Morzine, Aug 15th 2016’ is closed to new replies.