Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • STW Gardenists: What are these plants?
  • chambord
    Free Member

Just wondering what these are in my back yard – just going to look up info online to see what I need to do to them in early spring (Yes I am very much looking forward to spring).

Photos

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Not sure about 1 and 2, but number 3 looks like honeysuckle, and 4 maybe a type of bamboo.

willyboy
    Free Member

4 is bamboo, not sure about the others

chambord
    Free Member

I thought it might be bamboo but it is more like a bush and the stems don’t seem right – I might nip out and have another look in a bit though to double check.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Trees? I take it you’re an optimist, or the size of an action man

We had a number 1 but i killed it. Not sure what its called

2. Looks like a variagated umbrella plant but is outside and alive so it might not be

3 honeysuckle

4 bamboo

chambord
    Free Member

Trees? I take it you’re an optimist, or the size of an action man

Fixed the title for you 🙂

stealthcat

1 looks like it could be a fuchsia.

Rockape63
    Free Member

not a fuchsia it is a shrub….could be a Hebe?

chambord
    Free Member

not a fuchsia

Yeah definitely not a fuchsia as I’ve got one of those in a pot (Labelled 🙂 ).

Just went outside and everyone was correct it is indeed bamboo. I was going to cut it back but have been told by the internet its a bad idea until March/April.

john_drummer
    Free Member

2 looks like a Pieris. new growth is really lush & it flowers too. nice bush 😉

chambord
    Free Member

could be a Hebe

Does look a bit like a Hebe (According to google images). I found another one while I was rooting around which looks even more like that. Looks a bit sorry though so I don’t know whether it’ll flower like the pictures.

dropoff

1. Azalea
    2. Pieris
    3. Honeysuckle
    4. Bamboo

CountZero

2 is a baby Triffid, masquerading as a Pieris, to lull you into a false sense of security.

flowerpower
    Free Member

^^ dropoff has it I think

BUT 1 & 2 are quite poorly and need some TLC. They need an acidic soil, and if in a pot will need feeding. Get an ericaceous feed from your local garden centre and see how you go.

Diane
    Free Member

What dropoff said and flowerpower regarding feeding/soil ph

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The first two would be much better in the ground as long as it isn’t alkaline. Failing that I’d be trying to get them into bigger pots. If you can’t do that then scrape as much of the old soil out and get some food and fresh compost in there.

thepurist

Can’t be sure but the bamboo looks like it might be Fargesia nitida which is going through a flowering phase at the moment. If it flowers it’ll most likely die afterwards – nothing much you can do about it either.

I lost one a year or two ago and another started flowering last year so it’ll be dug up in the spring. I’ve seen a few other deaduns too.

chambord
    Free Member

Cheers for the help everyone. I’ll nip down to the garden centre this weekend and see if I can sort them out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘STW Gardenists: What are these plants?’ is closed to new replies.