Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STW Gardeners – What to plant next? WARNING- No BBB content
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have harvested the last of the peas from my little planter. The spring onions are coming out in the next couple of days. Carrots and Beetroot will be gone by next weekend.

I have tomatoes in the top planter bit which leaves me with a 5ft x 2ft planting area which is 2 ft deep.

Any suggestions of what veg to plant in there?

Don't like potato. Already have butternut squash, melon, pumpkin and sweetcorn elsewhere in the garden

Juicy_plum
    Free Member

I'm interested to hear what people suggest. I think you can plant winter greens such as kale now but I'm not sure what else.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Is it too late for LEEKS?

john_drummer
    Free Member

how about some chilli peppers? treat as tomatoes

woody2000

What about some salad crops? At least you'll get a quick crop, then you can worry about what to put in for winter 🙂

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Cabbage and greens?

Peas and beans next month maybe.

white101

My lettuce started coming out leaf by Leaf last week, green and crunchy, they don't take to long.

willard

Sprouts? We got ours in the other weekend and they are coming along nicely. With any luck they should be ready in time for Christmas.

Failing that, you could try radishes, they are supposed to be quick to grow, mature and harvest.

I'd say hold off on the chillis… If you are growing from seed, then they won't be ready any time soon, but if you are buying them in, you'll only have a short time to harvest until the weather starts getting a little cool for them. Normal peppers may be the same.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A body.
    You might have to cut some limbs off if its a tall person though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Won't get many cabbage/kale in the container. Will beans have time?

martyntr
    Free Member

As everyone else has said really. You have 3 options..

1) Salad Leaves/ Lettuce,
    2) Salad Onions (Lisbons are the best IMO)
    3) Spring Cabbage (my Durham early seeds are going to get planted at the end of the month and replace my Spuds when they're harvested)

WCA – How's your Butternut Squash coming on ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I was doing some sowing yesterday, putting spinach and beetroot in for the autumn.

If you want spinach, you'll probably have to go for spinach beet (not true spinach but more flexible and bolt-resistant, and still very tasty).

The beetroot variety I used is Detriot.

I've also sown dwarf french beans in modules in the greenhouse yesterday, with a view to planting them out in a few weeks and eating around september/october.

willard

We've had almost zero luck with our beetroot this year. Most of them failed to turn into anything resembling a beet, and the ones that did were tiny things.

Had more luck with radishes, but even then that seemed more like luck.

Our runner beans are currently the daddies of the veg patch. Producing stacks of fruit.

MoreCashThanDash

Drowning under a mountain of broad beans here – and some cracking potatoes. We've even managed our first ickle carrots as well!

izakimak
    Free Member

pak choi, i put some in last week and its up and coming on nicely, should be done in 6 or 7 weeks.

didmatt
    Free Member

What we've been planting at work (work for a market gardeners in East Yorkshire) latery is Spring Cabbage, Purple Broccoli, Curly lettuce. Can't think of everything else, but i'll try and remember when im at work tomorrow, they all look the same when you've got trays of 250 plugs, 16-30 trays of each variety! lol

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘STW Gardeners – What to plant next? WARNING- No BBB content’ is closed to new replies.