Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • STW foodies – vegetarian glutton free recipes required
  • binners

No… this isn’t a wind up

Got some mates coming over for the big 40’s weekend in Rammy tomorrow. Mrs Binners is doing tapas. She used to work for a certain well known Spanish restaurant and her tapas is AWESOMZ!

However… we will have a couple of veggies with us. I know…. I know…. but they weren’t veggies when I met them 😉

Just to add to the meat free quandary, one is also gluten intolerant. This has meant that our usual array of dead animals will have to be substituted with something less blood-soaked. And sausage rolls are clearly a non-starter.

Now I know there are a fair few kebab-dodgers on here…. help me STW… you’re my only hope

Oh…. to put things in context as to our level of knowledge of vegetarian cooking I have just been asked the following question… “WTF are you supposed to do with polenta?!”

Answers…,. I have none

Fanks in advance, you lovely bunch of bunny-huggers 😀

vondally
    Free Member

Polenta, ready mixed or instant? Solid block or grains?

Solid block turn into chips by roasting in oven till crispy serve with pesto or tomato pasta sauce with green salad.

vondally
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

For gluten avoidance – Anything you”d usually make for pasta works just as well with a mix of potatoes and chickpeas

My fave recipe for cooking for a mix of veg and non veggie guests is two versions of this recipe – you do all the prep (of which theres very little) a day or two ahead so it a bung-in-the-oven on the day. For the veg version I swap the chicken for huloumi and big chunks of portobello mushrooms and give it a little less time in oven.

vondally
    Free Member

Also try courgette noodles, tracks sell them ready spirialized.

Use as noodles or pasta.

Broccoli with tofu, cauldron foods have a marinated one. Heat oil add onion or spring onion, ginger chilli and then tofu fry for a few minutes top five minutes whilst your broccoli is cooking ( frozen is Fine) then mix together with soya sauce and fresh herb of you choice.

binners

Cheers Vondally – they’ve just received a big thumbs up 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh…. to put things in context as to our level of knowledge of vegetarian Italian cooking I have just been asked the following question… “WTF are you supposed to do with polenta?!”

ftfy 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

vegetarian glutton free recipes

Very small portions would seem the easiest solution

binners

😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You do have my sympathies. Vegetarian AND gluten free means that the list of ingredients is tiny:

Gluten Free Food List
    The following items can be consumed liberally on your Gluten Free Diet (go organic and local with your whole- food choices wherever possible; flash frozen is fine, too):

Healthy fat: extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, grass-fed tallow and organic or pasture-fed butter, ghee, almond milk, avocados, coconuts, olives,nuts and nut butters, cheese (except for blue cheeses), and seeds (flaxseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds).
    Protein: whole eggs
    Vegetables: leafy greens and lettuces, collards, spinach, broccoli, kale, chard, cabbage, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, artichoke, alfalfa sprouts, green beans, celery, bok choy, radishes, watercress, turnip, asparagus, garlic, leek, fennel, shallots, scallions, ginger, jicama, parsley, water chestnuts.
    Low-sugar Fruit: avocado, bell peppers, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, squash, pumpkin, eggplant, lemons, limes.
    Herbs, Seasonings, and Condiments: You can go wild here as long as you watch labels. Kiss ketchup and chutney goodbye but enjoy mustard, horseradish, tapenade, and salsa if they are free of gluten, wheat, soy, and sugar. There are virtually no restrictions on herbs and seasonings; be mindful of packaged products, however, that were made at plants that process wheat and soy.
    The following can be used in moderation (“moderation” means eating small amounts of these ingredients once a day or, ideally, just a couple times weekly):
    Non-gluten grains: amaranth, buckwheat, rice (brown, white, wild), millet, quinoa, sorghum, teff. (A note about oats: although oats do not naturally contain gluten, they are frequently contaminated with gluten because they are processed at mills that also handle wheat; avoid them unless they come with a guarantee that they are gluten-free.) When non-gluten grains are processed for human consumption (e.g., milling whole oats and preparing rice for packaging), their physical structure changes, and this increases the risk of an inflammatory reaction. For this reason, we limit these foods.
    Legumes (beans, lentils, peas). Exception: you can have hummus (made from chickpeas).
    Carrots and parsnips.
    Whole sweet fruit: berries are best; be extra cautious of sugary fruits such as apricots, mangos, melons, papaya, prunes, and pineapple.
    Cow’s milk and cream: use sparingly in recipes, coffee, and tea.
    Cottage cheese, yogurt, and kefir: use sparingly in recipes or as a topping.
    Sweeteners: natural stevia and chocolate (choose dark chocolate that’s at least 70 percent or more cocoa).
    Wine: one glass a day if you so choose, preferably red.
    Here’s a sample shopping list:
    Shredded Coconut
    Kale
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Free Range Eggs
    Avocado
    Mixed Greens
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Berries (in moderation)
    Onions
    Garlic
    Bell Pepper
    Black Pepper
    Goat’s Cheese
    – See more at: http://www.drperlmutter.com/eat/list-of-gluten-free-foods/#sthash.izpIjbls.dpuf

maccruiskeen

You can do nice flavoursome side-dishes using pretty much any tinned bean (butter beans, cannalini, flageolets and borlotties all work well) – cook some chilli, garlic and rosemary (or thyme or both) in oil then tip in a drained tin of the beans, cook them through then add a big glug of red wine vinegar at the end. Flageolets will give you dish which is thick and almost dip-like in consistency. Butterbeans pop and go crispy.

vondally
    Free Member

Portabello mushroom grilled ….big mushrooms so get so olive oil and drop of baslamic vinegar mix together spread over mushrooms under grill, not too close or they will flame, turn over when one side is done ….serve with fresh herbs…slice them if tapas and have a side of dips say something like Greek yogurt with fresh mint.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Spanish tortilla/frittata, patatas bravas, sweet potato chips with houmous for dipping, green salad, lemon polenta cake for afters

vondally
    Free Member

Good call on frittata, shop bought or do your own

binners

Cheers guys! This is all great! The patatas bravas was on there already, as it’s one of mrs Binners specialities. She’s also found some gluten free pastry (no… I don’t know how that works either) so that’s opened up a few more possibilities

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Whilst I commend your kind treatment of the afflicted, it may be better to treat them with the contempt they deserve! Ready-made falafels and salad rabbit-food? Some foreign bread that has no glutens and some of that humerus dip? Minging, but they’ll pretend to like it whilst eyeing up the real food on your plates!

If you really want to send a message try lentils devils beans of some sort? Maybe sneak some grass fed beef in there? 😈

*Apparently you can make chocolate brownie cake out of beans too. Hopefully Brexit will sort that out before it invades my larder a second time. *brrrp*

drewd

I was bought up to eat just about anything, however my wife is vegetarian by choice and gluten free for medical reasons. There are some great suggestions already, here are a few more.

Roasted peppers stuffed with rice
    Risotto
    Spaghetti Bolognese using Quorn mince and gluten free spaghetti(actually tastes ok).
    Vegetable stir fry with rice/sweet potato noodles
    Onion Bhajis/Vegetable Pakoras (use gram flour)

Obviously stuff like roasted veg, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, quiches made from gluten free flour or pastry etc. There are loads of free from ranges in supermarkets that might be an easy way to fill out a meal too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘STW foodies – vegetarian glutton free recipes required’ is closed to new replies.