Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 221 total)
  • STW Fat Club 2013 -(Riders, not the bikes)
  • zilog6128

Also I seem to put on weight every time I go out for a long ride – which I think is liquid surrounding damaged muscles to aid recovery or something according to the interwebs. Takes a few days for it all to go again!

This isn’t something I’ve heard about before! Not saying it’s not possible though. Another explanation might be if you are using carbohydrate drink/gels or eating jelly babies, etc on your ride as this will also cause your body to store more water. Either way it’s probably not a bad sign as it shows you’re not getting dehydrated!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve still not lost any frikin weight!

I do look better in the mirror though, still hoping for a sudden collapse and I’ll lose everything quickly.

Alex

Just a nadge over 12st now. Had a bit of a boozy/treat weekend and put half a pound on. Back on the wagon no! Going to get harder tho…

Sam

I seem to have crept back up to where I was when I started…. I’m blaming the weight training. Feeling much stronger on the bike and body fat seems lower so I’m OK with that for the mean time.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Never used energy drinks/gels so it isn’t that! I as wondering what was going on and there was an article somewhere talking about muscles absorbing/storing/using water in someway to protect/rebuild.

Could be wrong though, but it is the only explanation I can find to putting on 1kg+ overnight following exercise with no increase in calorific input!

mattjg
    Free Member

there was an article somewhere talking about muscles absorbing/storing/using water in someway to protect/rebuild.

I’ve no idea if that’s true but it sounds feasible to me. Today my legs are stiff from 3 days riding – in effect I overused them, injured them, now they are being repaired and will hopefully come out stronger.

It seems viable to me that the body would use fluid to protect them, as it does with an injury.

rOcKeTdOg

32lb gone so far, reached my target weight but finding the low cal routine easy so might carry on as i think eating more to maintain it would depress me.

Alex

Yeah it;s funny that RD, I think 1800 calories is fine. We’re cooking good, fresh tasty food and I’m not really going hungry. I never seem to go over 2500 even when I hit the wine/beer on fri and sat. I’ll probably relax a bit if we have a summer and I fancy a beer in the week, but right now I’m sticking with it.

Said before, the thing I keep coming back to is treats are treats. You definitely appreciate them more by eatin them less.

SamB
    Free Member

I was down to sub-80 kg before I went skiing. A week in the snow plus a whole load of cheese means I’m back up to 84kg.

It’s almost certainly all muscle 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Yep Alex, I’m staying under 1620 cals a day, treats are for when I’ve exercised to cover it, but i know it’d be so easy to lapse into the old routine of eating everything and anything and falling off the wagon, I’m now 13st 6 and never want the moobs of a 15st 10 bloke again!

mattjg
    Free Member

I was down to sub-80 kg before I went skiing. A week in the snow plus a whole load of cheese means I’m back up to 84kg.

Chapeau. Didn’t you even walk from the ticket office to the lifts? 😉

Alex

I’m now 13st 6 and never want the moobs of a 15st 10 bloke again!

– lol, yeah. I knew the weight was coming off when my HRM kept slipping down my chest. On the holiday front, I intend to lose 2 more lbs that I want too so I can put them back on on a 5 day riding holiday with 5 other beer monsters…

cazum
    Free Member

are we going to trim the speadsheet of the people that done a week or two then gave up! ????

i feel this is helping thats 8.4kg i have lost since we started this 🙂 about 1/3rd of the way there lol

mattjg
    Free Member

Well it seems the 1.5kg I ‘gained’ on Monday’s weight in has gone, so there may be something in the theory of the body retaining some water or other mass to repair after a big weekend riding.

_tom_
    Free Member

Almost 2 weeks into keto now and I think I’ve settled in to not eating many carbs. I just love that bacon fried in butter then eggs scrambled in the bacon fat/butter is considered a healthy meal on this diet. Having my first carb up this weekend is going to be glorious, though.

Alex

I put 1/2 a pound on over the weekend but i put that down to booze and chocolate 😉 But after last night’s ridge I was down to 167.5 lbs which is about 2lbs off in a DAY. Don’t trust it tho, so going to stick with my thurs weigh in. I’m keeping up to date with the spreadsheet.

rj2dj
    Free Member

Weight loss isn’t linear though I suspect. On top of this, what time of day, how hydrated you are, etc. would all play a large part in what you would weigh on the scales.

I weigh myself every day, when I wake up after a pee, but don’t pay too much attention to daily variations – it’s more realistic to look at it on a weekly or average basis.

cazum
    Free Member

i weight myself every monday night before dinner that way its constant. also i use my myzone account at my local gym to record my bio-metrics every wed morning after my work out again so its constant

cazum
    Free Member

also remember that 1 pint of water is roughly 1pound….. so like 2 weekends ago i worked out i drank approx 20 pints of water over a weekend and wondered why i was like 112kg monday morning and then come weigh time at night i was 109.5….. (pissing like a race horse all day! lol)

wurzelcube
    Free Member

A moment of self appreciation… 6.6 kg lost so far (a stone in old money!!)

mattjg
    Free Member

yay wurzelcube

I am static on last week booooooooooh

Alex

About the same Wurzelcube. 167.0 lbs now. First time I’ve been under 12st for A LONG time. In some ways it’s getting easier just to have a healthy eating lifestyle, in some ways (mainly when I’m offered cake) it’s getting harder. Sort of feel I’m where I want to be now, but know if I go back to my old days, that stone’ll come straight back…

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I was static last week and saw 4lbs drop this week.

I know that feeling! It’s a lifestyle change – my downfall is portion control and anything along the lines of cakes / biscuits / puddings.

I want to lose another 3 or 4 pounds and then maintain it.

Bregante

Gone up a couple of pounds. I blame the wife for taking the kids away for a few days. A diet of curry, pizza and beer hasn’t helped.

cazum
    Free Member

🙁 put on about 0.5kg….. ffs really dont know where i went wrong last week!!!!

monday – gym 1hr
    tuesday – swim 1km
    wed – gym 1hr
    thurday – swim 1km + 2 x 1hr games of five a side
    friday – gym 1hr + 1 hr of bootcamp
    sat nothing
    sunday – 1hr of half pitch football

total burned calories for the week well over 6000….. (myzone HR belt was saying 5874 for the week but doesn’t count my swims) watched what i was eating no take aways no drink, no sweets

🙁 gutted

gonna be a hard1 5kg to move at this rate 🙁

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ffs really dont know where i went wrong last week!!!!

i’m puzzled myself at present after gaining a bit last week. admittedly i was under the weather after coming down with a bug on sun/mon but still kept intake down to 1500 or less, some days barely 1000… daly food is 2 egg omellet, half tin beans for lunch then dinner. heck, two nights all i had was lentil soup! my only indescretion was a few home made oat biscuits, difficult to calorie count but still i would say i was well under 1500 total. did’nt excercise fully due to bug but still managed an interval sesh on weds, surf on fri and run on sat before weigh in.

mattjg
    Free Member

ups and downs (and statics) are normal I think, bodies are complex things

and remember it’s still winter, you need to eat properly chappies, especially if you’re ill (weight loss can wait until after)

Alex

Marathon not a sprint and all that… Worse thing that happened to us was the dog hurt his leg and now can only do very short walks for a month. My wife and I have found ourselves going out walking anyway. It’s all very middle aged 😉 Dog also massively unimpressed!

Whether losing weight or not, I definitely feel better on the bike, cutting out the booze has improved sleep and occasional treats taste fantastic. As does a pint at the weekend. Also we’re cooking a lot more, all fresh, nothing processed (no horse for us!) – feels more like a better way to live than a diet.

Having said all that, the best thing I’ve eaten in 7 weeks was fish and chips from the local chippy washed down with a cold lager 😉

Alex

How’s it going all? This morning (although I’m a little skeptical as it might be dehydration after a long bike ride and then lots of rugby based beer afterwards yesterday) I was down to 165.2lbs. That’s from 184.5 on New Years Day. Decided might as well go for the full 20lbs as a new target which is a nice round 11 and a half stone.

nikk
    Free Member

Not been tracking progress on that spreadsheet or anything, but been following this thread.

I am down just under 1 1/2 stone since Jan 1st. Loosing a bit under 1/4 stone a week to this point, although seem to be slowing down. Down from 14.4 stone to 13 stone now. Never dieted before but so happy that weight can come off!

Basics is eat less, exercise more. I’m not counting calories.

Main things on a day-to-day basis are; Usual breakfast, bowl of cereal plus green tea. Try to keep portions down. No bread at lunch, just some oatcakes instead. Weight watchers yoghurt and piece of fruit. No fizzy drinks or chocolate bars, replaced with 1/3rd fruit juice topped up with fizzy water, and one small chocolate from the chocolate box per day. No biscuits or other snacks.

Evening meals stopped pasta most days, replaced with beans and veggie sausages, eggs etc 3 days a week. Other days have things like small baked potato, or quinoa with sauce. Smaller portions. No beer, maybe glass of red wine or a cognac.

Exercise 5 days a week. Mostly swimming and bike. Usually 1hr in pool doing 2+k. Bike is at least 1.5hr to 2hr ride, more at weekends.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Aaaah – a good bout of Malaria has saved me from a week of weight gain! Not been able to eat since Thursday (tropical diseases do have an up side) 😀

adyp
    Free Member

Peeps

I’m 3 months or so into a lower carb eating regime. It was recommended to me by a mate after I’d complained to him about feeling knackered all the time. About the same time I saw this book by Gary Taubes recommended on a thread here so bought it and read it…

Now, I’ve always poo-pooed low carb diets – I’ve run 5 marathons as part of my first mid-life crisis and the advice has always been carbs and glycogen are good so to read a reasoned account of why that ain’t necessarily so was..well..a bit of a revelation! It’s clearly written by a chap with a scientific background who seeks evidence for what he says, and moreover shows how there is very little evidence for the perceived wisdom of low fat/high carb regimes pushed by the establishment.

I then bought and read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Again a very engaging read with the overall message being that we’ve evolved over millions of years to eat meat, fish, fat, nuts, berries, foraged greens etc, to exercise mostly at low levels, to sprint every now and then, and sleep lots. We certainly haven’t evolved to eat grains and sugars that require a rapid insulin response to deal with them. The modern high carb western diet has caused many of us to become insulin insensitive and to “forget” how to burn fat stores as our primary energy source, and how to effectively deal with the food that we eat.

The message in both is that carbs drive insulin drives fat body fat production. Counting calories doesn’t work for weight loss long term. Exercise as the main driver doesn’t work either – it’s 80% food and 20% exercise.

So, mid november last year, I’m off out on a long hilly road bike ride with a very fit mate here in the french alps including an ascent up the Col de Plan Bois near Thones which is 13% for much of it. I haven’t eaten many carbs for nearly a month. In my head this has “bonk” written all over it but to my amazement no – I kept a HR below 80% and felt fine all day!!

I’m about 8kgs down, eat plentiful great food, and above all feel great. It’s perhaps worth pointing out here that weight loss really shouldn’t be the driver and we should be more concerned with body composition, but I can’t deny it’s nice to see the numbers falling!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Adyp, that sounds a much better plan than my tropical parasitic disease diet I have to say!

In all seriousness though, it is something I have danced around for so long, but failed to do anything about due to a bit of a bread addiction! I was, many years ago, an archaeologist and back then had wondered about whether we were eating the wrong foods for our evolutionary design. Going back to when I picked up said tropical disease I was living with a tribe in the Amazon and lost so much weight living on broadly the same diet they do (mainly as most of our carbs were eaten by weevils within the first couple of weeks!) which had me shedding a whole lot of weight and coming back in my best shape ever.

Really need so sort myself out and get back into a more useful eating regime I think.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can I be a late joiner please, just started a thread over there : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-road-to-recovery-starts-here-the-idontdiet

when I saw this one.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’ve just been on the Haagen daz

adyp
    Free Member

Capt. Kronos – so you know it works!!

BTW what malaria did you have? We’ve had a few chaps at work get it in Nigeria and sadly one of them died – scary stuff.

I managed to get a dose of “weight reducing” food poisoning in India just before Christmas. I did a lot of “driving the big white bus” and you don’t want to know about the other end.

As for the bread addiction, I too found that difficult to cut down on. I’m doing low carb not no carb, so a “proper” fondue is fine every now and then, and I did do “soldiers” with the boiled eggs this morning – but when I do I just make sure I really enjoy it then “beast” myself with exercise afterwards.

mattjg
    Free Member

Another 1/2kg in the right direction this week. Feeling the benefits on the bike.

jimster
    Free Member

Had a bad couple of weeks, all weight lost seems to have returned – TBH too bloody cold out to worry about shifting anything at the moment, especially as I’m working in a cold warehouse.

mazz
    Free Member

Went up over a kg in the previous week. This week managed to shift that (and a tiny bit more). Getting back on track. This takes discipline!

drifting_james
    Free Member

Well. with some help from the spreadsheet, and my fitness pal – I have managed to hit my new years resolution target. Many thanks all (and thisisnotaspoon for setting up this thread).

Now my next challenge is learning how to keep the weight off. So, I think I will be monitoring weight closely for a few weeks yet

J

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘STW Fat Club 2013 -(Riders, not the bikes)’ is closed to new replies.