Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • STW fashion tips needed – wearing a suit at work.
  • mieszko
    Free Member

Let’s start with some good news, I got a job at PwC as a Consultant in the audit department starting 1st of September. It will involve wearing a suit on a regular basis. I bought a suit for my graduation and interviews recently. M and S Sartorial, 100% wool, single breasted etc etc (best I could afford as a student). I’m planning to buy another suit soon but I need some tips on how to wear it, what goes with what etc. I have never worked in a corporate environment before or had to wear a suit to work.

1. Do you walk with the jacket unbuttoned or do I only unbutton the jacket when seated? (I will be wearing a tie if that makes a difference) I read somewhere that only the top button should be buttoned when standing/walking is that correct?

2. I will need a bag of some sort. I have an Osprey messenger bag (black and gray) at the moment which I really like, I wanted to buy the Flapjack model as a treat but my brother told me I’ll look like a tool having such a bag and wearing a suit. Do I need to buy one of those leather more fashionable bags or something else to carry paperwork around?

3. Can I wear a baselayer t-shirt or tank top under the shirt or is it a no no? The suit is pretty warm so I thought that a wicking top
    would help a bit.

4. If I buy a lighter coloured suit (grey -ish or similar) can I still wear it in autumn/winter or is it another no no?

I’m currently wearing the safe option so: white shirt, black tie, black belt and black shoes.

That is all my questions at the moment. Any more tips welcome.

RealMan
    Free Member

Suitcase?

Riofer
    Free Member

I expect PwC will give you a laptop and a bag to carry it in so no need to worry about buying one

theotherjonv

I always wear a suit to work. Decent M&S is good for everyday, Austin Reed a bit better, and I have a handmade one for special.

Don’t underestimate decent shirts: could do a lot worse than Tyrhwhitt who’ve always got offers on. I like their slim cut ones even though I’m not slim, don’t like to have masses of fabric billowing.

On shirts – I was once told that white shirts go with black tie, morning dress and for funerals. Don’t know if that’s true but i always prefer an understated but coloured shirt (pale blues, subtle checks, etc.) Again, Tyrhwhitt ftw.

Ties – I rarely wear one, but as long as it’s not ridiculously garish / comedy, and matches the shirt, and isn’t made of carpet (unless you are a maths teacher) or other unsuitable fabric, I reckon it’s fair game.

Shoes and belt should match. I don’t see an issue with brown shoes nowadays but CFH will be along shortly to sneer.

And yes, leave the bottom button of the jacket open for the cleanest look, at least according to the tailor that made my handmade one. I wouldn’t know for sitting down as unless it’s a very formal do / dinner I’d take it off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buttons – Depends on the jacket, but normally, buttons done up when standing, undone when sitting. How many buttons to do up depends on how many buttons your suit has!

Bag – Buy a big Timbuk2 courier bag. I use it for work and travel. Takes a rolled suit and enough clothes/kit for two days away. Pack a wire coathanger so you can hang your shirt in the shower (Hotels often have those ‘fixed’ hangers which make hanging things hard. Hanging a shirt in the shower when you’re done is a great way of smoothing out some creases (Assuming you’ll be travelling!) Also a Timbuk2 Courier looks less like a “steal me, I’ve got a laptop in me” bag, which is what you will be given….!

Base layer – No, not really. Americans wear vests, but they’re Americans. Wash yourself and your shirts often.

Colour – Grey is a superb all round starter suit. Don’t go too light on the grey though, no one wants to look like an estate agent. Then, as you can afford it, buy a couple of suits per year and I would recommend a shirt per month. Suits, stay with what you’re looking at for now, as they’re great value for money. Shirts – Well, you could go mad looking at them so the question is, what shape are you? (Certain shirtmakers are better for certain shapes!)

Good luck!

MrNutt
    Free Member

go to Thailand and have a lady boy knock you one up, you’ll soon forget about your suit issues and you could spend the rest of your life living underneath a beach hut.

Houns

Worth a watch of this if you can find it online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012cnww

nickf
    Free Member

Let’s start with some good news, I got a job at PwC as a Consultant in the audit department starting 1st of September. It will involve wearing a suit on a regular basis. I bought a suit for my graduation and interviews recently. M and S Sartorial, 100% wool, single breasted etc etc (best I could afford as a student). I’m planning to buy another suit soon but I need some tips on how to wear it, what goes with what etc. I have never worked in a corporate environment before or had to wear a suit to work.

Well done. Get used to having no sleep.

My advice is based on us as a client – FTSE250, non-City, IT services. Some places are a lot more formal than us, others wear jeans. We’re a ‘suits’ organisation, but not fastidious.

1. Do you walk with the jacket unbuttoned or do I only unbutton the jacket when seated? (I will be wearing a tie if that makes a difference) I read somewhere that only the top button should be buttoned when standing/walking is that correct?

Don’t worry, everyone expects you to take your jacket off as soon as you get to work. I’ve never seen them buttoned unless it’s the partner, and even then he tends not to.

2. I will need a bag of some sort. I have an Osprey messenger bag (black and gray) at the moment which I really like, I wanted to buy the Flapjack model as a treat but my brother told me I’ll look like a tool having such a bag and wearing a suit. Do I need to buy one of those leather more fashionable bags or something else to carry paperwork around?

Again, my PwC partner uses a rucsac, but use what you like. As a junior, no-one will care. Honestly. Just get something practical ‘cos you’ll be lugging a laptop and files/papers around.

3. Can I wear a baselayer t-shirt or tank top under the shirt or is it a no no? The suit is pretty warm so I thought that a wicking top would help a bit.

As (1) above, take the jacket off. You’ll look like a muppet of you’re trying to be over-smart. T-shirts under a formal shirt tend to look a bit duff, but I’ve seen it done, though not with any elan.

4. If I buy a lighter coloured suit (grey -ish or similar) can I still wear it in autumn/winter or is it another no no?

No problems

I’m currently wearing the safe option so: white shirt, black tie, black belt and black shoes.

That is all my questions at the moment. Any more tips welcome

Pretty much any colour shirt is fine, and depending on the client, ties are optional.

I told the audit team here that we don’t wear ties as a rule, and that if I saw them all looking overly suited and booted I’d feel uncomfortable. They’re relatively dressed down as a result. Some City firms will expect more formality.

Brown shoes/belt in the City are no longer a shooting offence, but I’d certainly notice. Best avoided, I’d say.

rondo101
    Free Member

Three-button suit: only the middle should be done up. 2-button; then only the top. Never, ever, do up the bottom button. 4 button suits are for people that only wears suits to court. As to when you button it up or not is down to personal preference.

Laptop bag = bag. PwC will provide this.

Base-layer t-shirt . If you’re worried about sweat-marks, go for white or white-striped shirts.

If you’re buying a new suit, avoid light grey for your first. It’ll make you look a bit like a car salesman. Charcoal grey, black pinstripe or blue pinstripe will fit right in with accountants. Buy two pairs of trousers for longevity, but you should own at least 3 suits ideally.

Belt & shoes should match.

Never, ever, wear matching coloured shirt & tie. For accountants, you should be looking at white, blue & white oxford stripe or blue shirts with red, maroon, yellow or pink ties. Avoid comedy ties at all costs.

mieszko
    Free Member

Thanks MrNutt, always an option.

Theotherjonv I am looking at the Tyrwhitt website and the shirts on sale look good. Will have a proper browse later.

Captain, I’m 5’10, 42 chest and 16″ collar so not really slim fit, however I will fit in a slim fit shirt 🙂 Skinny fit on the other hand is like cling film.

Thanks for all the advice. I might get the Flapjack after all 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

For accountants, you should be looking at white, blue & white oxford stripe or blue shirts with red, maroon, yellow or pink ties.

I’m an accountant. My staff (over 100) are pretty much all accountants. Our auditors are (obviously) all accountants. Not one of us subscribes to your sartorial tips!

Do you actually know any accountants?

rondo101
    Free Member

Plenty; I work for a FTSE100 financial institution.

edit – although my firm probably falls into your “fastidious” approach to smartness & my advice probably comes more from finance than accountancy. There’s no way we’d get away with not wearing a tie.

uwe-r
    Free Member

If you are on a limited budget get nothing that stands out. If you buy some jazzy number people will realize very quickly that you have only one suit (and potentially you are a nob).

Start simple, buy a suit every year in the sales. After a while you will start to get a good wardrobe going.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are going to wear a suit then you must wear a tie and top button buttoned up.

never brown shoes with a suit ( unless its tweeds), not a black tie unless its a thin knitted one or its a funeral

wrecker
    Free Member

Remind me never to take fashion tips from that guy ^^^^

IanMunro
    Free Member

I am looking at the Tyrwhitt website and the shirts on sale look good

FWIW They’re a bit like DFS when it comes to sales 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

if you’re just starting out, buy two suits as an absolute minimum (dark grey and navy for example), buy 5 shirts (white, blue, maybe a stripe, just make sure they fit) and a few ties (if you stick to nice plain ties you can’t go far wrong). you’ll buy a few shirts over the years, so just find a brand that fits and last well. Zara make some good shirts for younger buyers which are cheap, last well and are modern without being too on trend.

with this as a minimum, you can look like you’re wearing a different outfit every day.

as for shoes, i wouldn’t buy brown. just get a nice pair of simple black lace ups (avoid anything pointy). if you can only afford one pair at the moment, get them resoled with rubber soles before winter kicks in. trust me, you don’t want to be wearing leather soled shoes every day in wet weather!

as for wearing your jacket buttoned up or not, it really doesn’t matter. about 90% of the people i work with don’t button up their jackets. personally, i find it odd when people walk about the office with their jackets buttoned up, but that’s just me.

if you can afford it, buy a nice suit (doesn’t have to be expensive, just one you feel really good in) which you only wear to external meetings. it can really help your confidence when you are starting out if you leave your house ready to go to a meeting knowing that you look your best.

i’d avoid black suits and black ties, i’d wear that to a funeral or magazine launch.

the MOST important bit of advice that anyone could give is that you wear something you feel comfortable in. It doesn’t matter how good the suit/shirt/tie, if the guy wearing it doesn’t like the way he looks in it, it will show. Just wear something that you like the look yourself in the mirror. take an attractive girl friend with you, they will generally keep you away from anything horrific. 😀

don’t dry clean your suits unless they get dirty or at most once a season. it’s better to buy a cheaper suit, dry clean it less and then bin it than an expensive one you dry clean every month but keep for years.

try scented ironing water on your shirts. i can keep your jacket smelling fresher for longer.

as for base layer – avoid. if you have problems with sweaty pits, buy Driclor, it will change your life!

avoid wearing anything expensive to a typical office day. no one will really notice and you’ll only get your lunch down it 😀

I’d like to think i’ve got a fair bit of real world experience when it comes to stuff like this. I’m a corporate lawyer for an international law firm, I work with your buddies in the accounting Big 4 every day, my girlfriend is a buyer for Harvey Nichols and my father and uncle (along with a couple of friends) founded one of the largest menswear stores in the world. What I may lack in legal expertise, I make up for in style 😉

above all, congratulations on your new career. relax and enjoy the ride.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As it’s Summer, a few short sleeved shirts will come in handy.

peterfile
    Free Member

As it’s Summer, a few short sleeved shirts will come in handy.

not working as a consultant for PwC though unfortunately.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just in case nobody else tells you. Never buy short sleeved shirts to wear with a suit, there’s no way to make them look good. Oh, and learn to iron properly and how to polish your shoes 🙂

TM Lewin has a sale – 5 shirts for 100 quid. Good deal.

rondo101
    Free Member

TM Lewin has a sale – 5 shirts for 100 quid. Good deal

Another company with a DFS approach to sales. They do make quite nice shirts though. Avoid their “luxury” line as they’re a PITA to iron.

yunki
    Free Member

get a neck tattoo… some piercings and start letting your hair develop dreadlocks.. cultivate a healthy man pong and wear a string vest and cargo shorts… german para boots for the feet..
    accessorise with a dog on a string and an ever present can of special brew..

this way you can escape..

GJP
    Free Member

Never ever were a short sleeved shirts for work FULL STOP. Nothing does more to undermine the thin veneer of corporate professionalism.

If one of my team came to work in a short sleeved shirt I would send them home without further ado. Any confidence I may have had in their abilities would vaporize immediately.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, if he’s worried about sweating so much, surely a short sleeved shirt would help with, erm, ventilation, no? 😕

theotherjonv

also helps with being less constricted when undertaking difficult bus parking manoeuvres.

mogrim

If one of my team came to work in a short sleeved shirt I would send them home without further ado. Any confidence I may have had in their abilities would vaporize immediately.

Nothing says “Bus Driver” quite like a short sleeve shirt and tie 🙂

Not sure I’d send them home, though!

OP: get a couple of neutral colour suits, charcoal and a slightly lighter colour one to start with, and get some fairly understated shirts. Tie should match the shirt – if it’s a solid(ish) colour, it should be of a similar tone (dark blue with a light blue shirt, for example), otherwise the detail in the tie should match the shirt.

I personally wouldn’t start a new job at PwC with a loud colour shirt unless you’re very sure of yourself. Which is why I wore a fushcia shirt with a pinstripe suit today: nothing like blending in, in an office full of IT consultants 🙂

mogrim

theotherjonv, great minds and all that!

atlaz
    Free Member

rondo – I’ve fallen into the luxury shirt trap from lewins. I have an almost totally unworn white shirt which looks great but looks like a dishrag within about 30 seconds of being worn.

mogrim

White shirts are never a good idea, unless the headmaster won’t let you wear anything else.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bus driver? Oh right, I get you now. Gosh, that’s not very nice. Why is there such a problem with them? Is it because bus drivers wear them?

mogrim

Bus driver? Oh right, I get you now. Gosh, that’s not very nice. Why is there such a problem with them? Is it because bus drivers wear them?

It’s more that they look stupid – if you go to the trouble of wearing something as inherently stupid as a tie, go the whole hog and wear a proper shirt, too. If it’s hot enough to need a short sleeve shirt, it’s too hot for a tie.

Bus drivers wear them cos it’s a crap uniform, basically.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah well, it got a few bites 😀

EDIT: Five of you.

mogrim

Ah, trolled. But as my company’s commercial director insists on wearing pale green short sleeved shirts and brown ties, I feel justified in letting a little of my contempt flow out.

Squidlord
    Free Member

“Formal” short sleeved shirts – never ever ever ever bloody at all ever.
    T-shirt/vest under formal shirt – see above
    If you’re cold in winter a matching waistcoat is a nice look IMO. You wear braces with this, not a belt. Leave the bottom button undone
    Ditch a suit as soon as you get a shiny bottom or shiny elbows.
    Soon as you can afford it, have at least 2 regular/daily and one “best” suit.
    Different suit manufacturers seem to suit different body shapes better. Try on loads until you find one naturally fits you, then stick with them.
    Best advice I ever had about clothes was from my Dad – never buy a suit/shirt/tie that “looks good” – you buy one that makes you look good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m reduced to trolling about short sleeved shirts now. It’s purely a measure of my desperation. I’d say they’re the mocha pot of espresso makers (only joking). 😉

Pale green and brown…I’m sure that reminds me of a uniform.

*goes off to google*

brakes
    Free Member

as you will be one of a million auditor drones at PwC, you should wear something that will make you really stand out.
    why not go for a marine blue suit rather than navy blue?
    perhaps a rounded silver buckle on your belt rather than a square silver buckle?
    or to really set yourself apart, go for the 26-hole brogue rather than the 27-hole brogue?

anonymouse
    Free Member

The first rule of suit wearing is to find one that you are comfortable in. That means one that fits and one that you don’t feel conspicuous in.

The second rule is that the jacket only comes off in your own home. Not in the office, not in the car, and not when out for drinks after work. It’s a suit, not separates. It was made for both parts (or all 3) to complement eachother and be worn together.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Go omega Clooney on their asses! Chuck jacket off, undo cuff link/ button, one neat fold back just below the elbow and get to work!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s one advantage of short sleeved shirts. You don’t have to remember to wear those **** cufflinks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘STW fashion tips needed – wearing a suit at work.’ is closed to new replies.