Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • STW Fashion Police. Especially the Ski and Snowboardists.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I need a new helmet but I dont want to spend much. I have found a POC one for £50 but its blue. I can’t decide if it will look OK with my kit. I have a black jacket with blue highlights and 2 pairs of trousers one blue the other green. Pictures of the exact gear are below.

I am on the fence, I just can’t make my mind up.

downgrade
    Free Member

This has got to be a wind up right?

unknown
    Free Member

I’d like to think this is wind up, but a mate of mine bought new skis, trousers and jacket to match his new ski helmet. He’s perfectly normal in other walks of life too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JPR
    Free Member

This wouldn’t be a problem if you’d bought the rest of your kit in black like you’re supposed to.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Seriously… Your asking fashion advice on stw.
    Most of the people on here take style tips from Jeremy clarkson. Or look like they’ve been dragged through a hedge.

Lester
    Free Member

doesnt go with the green trousers,
    however, if your goggles were green

mind you i cant imagine the green trousers going with anything 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The RULES
    For chaps
    Helmets shall be black, or dark grey at a pinch. White is illegal.
    Goggles shall work with helmet and, if required, have colours that work with the rest of the outfit. However, black straps/frame with a shiny gold lens is, of course, teh orsumz.
    Jacket shall be monochrome, ideally black, or as with helmet, dark grey. However, if jacket be black, helmet shall be dark grey and vice versa.
    Trousers shall be a single colour, but that colour shall be LOUD.

So, overall, you’re doing well. But that helmet? No. Unless, of course you are a….

Lady skiist/boarderist.
    Helmet shall be whatever colour madame likes. Either way, it shall have nice accents on it that match either jacket or trousers. Which themselves shall complement each other.
    Goggles shall match the helmet.
    Jacket shall be nicely fitted, in whatever colour madame likes. It shall have too few pockets, ensuring that the chap has to carry all manner of stuff around with him.
    The trousers shall be a nice bold colour, or white. Lady skiists are allowed white trousers, but only if they’re both good enough and the right shape to get away with it.

Definite no-nos
    Helmets with integrated visors.
    Helmets with bluetooth built in so you can take that oh so important call on the lift. It’s not important and you both look and sound like a fin de la cloche.
    Black/black on a chap, or white/white on a lady.
    Men in white gloves. Stop it. Just stop it.

jaymoid

Looks good, goes well with the blue trousers, not quite so well with the green, ce le vie! I think its good to look distinctive on the slopes, there’s a million people with black trousers and red or blue jackets so best to stand out so your mates can find you.

Not sure where those rules above were made up, kinda restrctive. I like snow gear, you can look cool in it, I maintain it is impossible to look good in bike gear.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure where those rules above were made up

In my study.

🙂

CountZero

CFH, those rules should be mandatory. Nice work, sir. 😀

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Find some nice green stickers for that blue helmet and you’re on a winner 😀

jaymoid

Presumably mandatory because the implications of wearing white gloves and/or a helmet with a built in visor manifest themselves daily, on piste, with horrendous consequences?!

Better to just wear something that fits and that you are comfortable in. Worst case scenario is you wear something loud and draw a bit of attention to yourself but you dont have the steezey skillz to pull it off.

All my gloves are black, one of my helmets is white, the other two are black, one of which is a bern one with a peak.

Maybe the only real practical rule that applies to helmets is try not to be a gaper, as you will have a cold forehead.

Rio

First rule of skiing – if your gear all matches either you’re trying too hard or you don’t intend to go further than the first cafe. If you do decide to go for the matching outfit don’t expect to line up with the hard men and women waiting for the first lift out of Argentiere, or indeed anywhere outside your resort’s easy slopes, without feeling like a bit of a prat. Having said that the helmet wouldn’t be my first choice but at least it’s a light colour and gains some cred from the POC logo. Black helmets fry your head in the sun and are best kept on the table next to your drink. Nothing wrong with the green trousers but the blue ones with the blue helmet would look as though you’re trying too hard unless you can effect an obvious duct tape repair on them. All IMHO.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Asking about fashion with a dare to be seen in it on the slopes jacket!! Lol start again from the helmet down!!!

leffeboy

If you can ski/board well then it doesn’t matter as whatever you wear will be teh orsumz and will immediately be a new fashion. Otherwise possibly best not to try too hard

DezB
    Free Member

I hope the OP was being silly with this thread. If not it’s just, well… silly.
    Do you notice what other people are wearing on the mountain? Or care?

scuttler

First rule is if you’re better than everyone else come as you are.

Tracey

Blue will be fine

redthunder
    Free Member

This is a real First World Problem [FWP] innit 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I was being a bit daft asking on here, but at the same time I have really been struggling to find a helmet that doesn’t make my head look like a massive dome and isn’t silly money.

I don’t have any skills to speak of, I can just about get down the hill in one piece on skis. However my ankle hurts too much skiing so I am giving boarding a go this year, I could ride a blue but that about my limit at the moment. The want for not spending loads on kit comes from this being only my third time away hense the D2B jacket and blue trousers, the green ones were cheap on sport pursuit. My gloves are black with white Oakley print and I have two pairs of goggles, black on black crowbars and black/green o-frame with persimmon lens.

I picked up the helmet on the way home to get my wife’s opinion and she seems to think it looks just fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t expect boarding to be any easier on your ankle than skiing.

Long toe turns can be agony on a weak ankle.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Pro-tec B2 snow. Shouldn’t be more than about £40 and comes in black. Let me know of you need anything else I’m in Scotland now at my folks and have 20 years of snowboarding kit knocking about.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Snowboarding does still hurt my ankle, well it did at the snowdome, but it’s more of a sustained pain where as skiing is sharp and stabbing. It’s the right turns that really kill my ankle when skiing.

Andy I have a pro-tec ace helmet that I have used the past couple of years, they just don’t fit my head. I think I have everything I need now to be honest mate unless you can think of something I haven’t mentioned on this thread.

nealglover
    Free Member

Snowboarding does still hurt my ankle, well it did at the snowdome, but it’s more of a sustained pain where as skiing is sharp and stabbing. It’s the right turns that really kill my ankle when skiing.

Did you have decent fitting boots ?
    A boot should really be giving the ankle full support (with half decent technique being used)

My left ankle is totally shagged, but I had a proper custom boot fitting and it’s been fine since.

I_Ache
    Free Member

No mate just rental crap from the snowdome. My problem is the joint surface on the talus is pitted, and the problems that has caused with lack of movement has stiffened up the muscles. I have been recommended to ask for a stiffer boot when away I will also be using a insole to help with the support.

passtherizla
    Free Member

What size feet are you?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Size 9 mate.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah balls… Got some got some really stiff salomon synapse boots from when m ankle
    Was shagged that would have been perfect…

I_Ache
    Free Member

No worries mate the hire shop we use in Morzine is pretty good and Salomon ski boots really don’t fit my feet so I bet boarding boots won’t either. Thanks for the thought.

mindmap3
    Free Member

You’re over thinking it mate…no matter how bad your gear clashes, it’ll never look as bad as some of the fluro all in one suits that the locals will be rocking!

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve been snowboarding for 20+ years. I’m pretty advanced at free riding (beginner freestyle tho!) and couldn’t give a s**t if my gear matches.
    At the minute
    black helmet
    Turquoise nike acg jacket (£50 in the sale)
    Dark green nike acg pants that are fit for the bin
    White and black boots/grenade gloves
    Bit of a mis match but I’m very easy to spot.
    To me what looks far worse than non matching kit, is the noob that’s spent a fortune, looks like Travis Rice and can’t get on or off the chair lift!

Digby

@ l_ache … your suggested/proposed colour scheme will work fine I reckon

… and has the advantage of being visible on any photographs of you throwing down some moves etc and also in flat light situations (unlike the grey/black/grey/black ‘colorway’ (sic) that I’ve been rocking for years!!)

Just as long as you avoid the ‘rucksack in resort*’ faux pas you’ll be fine! 🙂

* permitted if you are using the lifts to gain height before heading into the backcountry but superfluous when cruising the groomers (and also dangerous & annoying for other chair users)

I_Ache
    Free Member

mindmap3 – Member
    You’re over thinking it mate…no matter how bad your gear clashes, it’ll never look as bad as some of the fluro all in one suits that the locals will be rocking!

The difference being the locals have the skillz to pull it off.

I was slightly worried about looking a bit ATG with the POC helmet and some Oakley gear but sod it.

Now if only I can download talent like on the matrix.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The first question is “does the helmet fit” ?“

Those POC ones always look a bit hot too. Not so good for hot days or going off piste.

lilchris
    Free Member

mindmap3 – Member
    You’re over thinking it mate…no matter how bad your gear clashes, it’ll never look as bad good as some of the fluro all in one suits that the locals will be rocking!

FTFY 🙂

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Like Dark Side biking rules.

Black on legs (which make your big thighs look proportionate); any bright or outrageous jacket colour (you do want to be seen by MR, don’t you?) and, correctly, a black helmet (absorbs heat energy from sun better than light colours). Good if jacket matches boots – I like orange.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘STW Fashion Police. Especially the Ski and Snowboardists.’ is closed to new replies.