Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • STW drummers
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just started back playing again after a seven year break, and mrs Mitch both startled and amazed me by taking me to the drum stop in Sheffield this morning and buying me a new kit! ‘Tis a Truth custom 3 piece kit in satin green. I am overwhelmed!

lodious
    Free Member

Nice! I’d love to have a real kit, but have to use electronic drums for space/noise reasons.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I now have a second hand yamaha 5 piece for sale! ( though I’ll probably keep it at the rehearsal rooms for practising) – I daren’t let the new one out of my sight!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mssansserif
    Free Member

Roland electric kit for me, not actually played on a real kit for ages.

Flats and drums don’t really work 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

Odery Fluence 6 piece here, Mapex Black Panther snare, Istanbul Mehmet cymbals. Had an Alesis electronic kit too but couldn’t get on with it. Like playing rubber bricks

Kit lives in rehearsal room along with backline, vocal PA and two other bands’ gear. Such a relief not to have to worry about the neighbours OR moving the kit between practices

moniex
    Free Member

Premier genista for my oldest who is a drummer. 7 pc, set up as 6 pc.

Bought secondhand off the bay, but had not really been used. Lived in those lovely furry cases until we bought it. Came with lots of expensive cymbals and a trunk of hardware. Some of it I still don’t know how to use….

It’s in his bedroom :0)

And yes, I gave a go now and then! My uncle was a jazz drummer, must be in the blood!

Sonor
    Free Member

Guess what kit I have?

Ok, Sonor Force 2000 6 piece kit from the early 90’s, pearl/legend free floating snare in steel or wood, Pearl Chad smith signature snare, Remo piccolo snare, pearl drum rack and Sabian AA/AAX cymbals, fifteen of them to use in various set ups.

All sitting in the corner of the loft room as I haven’t played for a bit 😥

But my nephew is learning to play Drums at a great place in West London, and they want me to help choose an electronic kit for him. 😈

stimpy
    Free Member

Early 90s Premier XPK 5pc in midnight blue woodstain, Sabian XS20 cymbals and a B8 china with a double kick pedal here, all neatly boxed at work as I don’t get time to play either.

Electronic kit would be ideal for keeping at home but +1 john_drummer – like playing rubber bricks 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

I understand the mesh heads are more like acoustic drums, but you need to spend a wee bit more for them

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just been nicking stands and suff from my old yamaha kit, so far so good, but my cymbals look a bit meh at the side of the new kit. Also, none of my old cases fit the new shells (bass drum is 22 x 20, rack and floor tom are strange sizes with rims mounts) – looks like yet more money needs spending!

john_drummer
    Free Member

http://Www.drumshop.co.uk – have a good px deal on new Istanbul Mehmet cymbals. The Radiant range are very nice. http://Www.thomann.de also do them, often cheaper even after postage. Very quick too.

I have 14″ Onurhan hats, 15 & 16 Radiant crashes, 10 Radiant splash, 16 Radiant china, 16 xPerience xCast flake crash and 20 xPerience Xmetal ride. Much nicer than my zildjian z-custom and Sabian AA/AAX that I haf before

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I had a Mapex M Series.

Sold it for drink, drugs & a Pizza Hut buffet sometime a decade ago.

Now I fumble around life, desperately waiting to be reunited with the percussion throne.

While staring at a rehearsal room wall.

*cries to sleep again*

john_drummer
    Free Member

I had an M Birch kit before this. Very nice. Top quality hardware

mssansserif
    Free Member

If you are prepared to be skint have a go on a good full mesh pad Roland kit TD9 upwards.

Feel vs noise for home practice they are awesome, just silly money for what is really a toy (but this is singletrackworld)

Sonor
    Free Member

I understand the mesh heads are more like acoustic drums, but you need to spend a wee bit more for them

Yes, had a very long play on a Roland TD-30KV V-Pro Electronic Drum Kit at Andertons in Guildford. Fantastic drums…for five and a half grand! 😯 Want soooo much…

My sister has a small house with close neighbours, so it has to be an electronic kit for the nephew…initially.

And I don’t have fifteen cymbals, only fourteen. They are Sabian AA: 10″ splash, 10″ China splash, 14″ fusion and regular hats, 14″ thin crash, 16″ bright and rock crashes, 18″ crash ride, 20″ rock and regular rides, 20″ China.

AAX: 6″ Splash, 8″ Splash and 16″ metal crash.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Premier kit which I bought back in the 70’s, with a 20″ bass drum, which along the way I have had recovered and have added to endlessly (including having some small double headed toms custom made for me by Premier). I now have more stuff than I will ever now use (oh for the days of endless racks of toms!!). For most gigs I now use a 4 piece kit but occasionally add another floor tom. I have loads of cymbals which are mainly Paiste 2002 or Signature, but I have a few others which get dragged out depending on what I need. The really odd thing is that I haven’t played using sticks for years now; I use Hot Rods or Lightening Rods. Even when they are down to their last few bits of dowel they are great for quiet theatre work.

I intend buying a Roland electronic kit fairly soon as I need to start practicing more than I do and my neighbours aren’t too keen on hearing my acoustic kits through the walls and/or floors, despite the fact that there are various ACM drummers in the area who don’t seem to care who can hear them!!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

(with my old Zildjian Z Custom ride)

10, 12, 14, 16 toms. 22×18 kick (undrilled). Black Panther “The MAchete” 14×6.5 stainless steel snare

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Any good tips for a homemade practice pad?
    They were too expensive 10 years ago and still are now.

Drums might replace bikes this winter. I’ve been bitten all over again.

john_drummer
    Free Member

They were too expensive 10 years ago and still are now.

really? practice pad or practice kit
    http://www.drumshop.co.uk/buy/rebound-practice-pad.htm

wordnumb
    Free Member

I don’t suppose any of you STW Drummers know where’s good to sell drums online? Drum track world classifieds sort of thing, anything rather than ebay hell. Ta.

NZCol

What are you selling ?

nbt

Missed this one. NO idea on good classifieds for selling but I’ve picked up all my secondhand bits from Gumtree or Ebay.

After a ten year layoff I picked up a kit from Ebay so we could play a few numbers at the works christmas party. It went well and we enjoyed it so we carried one with a small line-up change. I upgraded the hi-hats to some Pearl Wild 500 (same as the ones I used first time round) and the ride to a Paiste 302. I added a cheap “broken” stand from Ebay that took me about 10 minutes to fix supporting a Paiste 200 12″ splash that was quickly replaced by a Sabian ProSonix 16″ crash. I then got a cybmal stacker for the splash before realising how crap an idea it was

Over summer I upgraded the “Percussion plus” kit for a Premier Cabria kit in natural wood finish with a set of Sabian B8 Cymbals that I picked up off Gumtree.

The drums are great but the tom holder failed a couple of months ago, the metal cracked on the top around one of the wingnut tension bolts. Having picked up a single tom holder to replace it, the other side failed on Tuesday as the threads stripped. Managed to pick up a tom stand last night though off Gumtree so will be setting it up and getting more pics later

More pics here for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/ShbLN#gVMpotT

john_drummer
    Free Member

There’s a for sale forum on http://www.Mikedolbear.com

wordnumb
    Free Member

NZCol > What are you selling ?

Having spent the morning photographing them I’m not sure I can quite bring myself to part with them yet… Black Yamaha Beech Customs (10/12/15/22) – the proper ones rather than the lesser ‘absolutes’. A Yamaha fibreglass 13″ snare which looks black until a light shines through it, which turns it gold. Some K Custom Zildjians, New Beat hats. An enormous Remo djembe. Bunch of guitar effects. Maybe some amps.

I made the mistake of playing the kit straight out of storage and it sounds monstrous.

wordnumb
    Free Member

There’s a for sale forum on http://www.Mikedolbear.com

Thanks. I’ve looked at his site before, seems a little quiet.

john_drummer
    Free Member

That’s what I thought when I was selling my cymbals earlier this year. So I sold on ebay, one at a time when I’d sourced its replacement.
    A mix of Z Customs, AA, AAX, ProSonix and one Paiste Alpha is now a nice set of Istabul Mehmet hand hammered cymbals

wordnumb
    Free Member

John, did your cymbals sell quickly on ebay or was there lots of relisting?

(sorry to keep bumping this thread, I’m just really torn about selling stuff I’ve invested so much time and energy into)

john_drummer
    Free Member

once I figured out what to start the asking price at they all went within a week, only the Alpha did I need to relist at a lower price.

basically look at the price of new cymbals on reputable UK websites, divide that by two & then add a tenner. e.g. a £130 crash new I’d put up used for £75. Costs about a tenner per cymbal for postage as well

I also sold my old kit on Ebay. Mapex M-Birch 2007ish model, 22×18 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13 toms, 14 floor tom & 14×5.5 snare, plus a Yamaha Absolute Custom Nouveau 16×14 floor tom; hi-hat stand, double tom stand, snare stand, single pedal & two of my less robust cymbal stands & bags with knackered zips. I got £350 so reasonably happy with that. Considering I’d thought about PXing the shells for a new Mapex Saturn series shell pack & got an offer of £120 from my local musical instrument superstore, I thought £350 was a reasonable sale. And so did the guy who bought it. He happened also to be local so negligible delivery costs

john_drummer
    Free Member

this is a better picture of what I’ve got now (apart from the colour)

this is the colour but not the configuration

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hey up John – just got a Facebook message from Drum Stop saying they’d just taken an Odery kit in part ex – not you was it?

john_drummer
    Free Member

no, I’ve only had my Odery kit since October-ish. I sold a Mapex M Birch kit to make room for it.
    What model Odery?
    InRock is the cheapest, then there’s Fluence, then Eyedentity (equivalent to Mapex Saturn IV I guess), and then there’s Custom – equivalent to top spec DW stuff

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

It’s the eyedentity John. No price up for it yet. I think it’ll be a looong time before I even think about a new kit, still very much in lust with my Truth.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I would’ve liked an eyedentity kit but couldn’t get the 2 up 2 down config off the shelf 🙁

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘STW drummers’ is closed to new replies.