Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • STW docs and/or herniated people (Warning: Embarrassing Bodies content)
  • svladcjelli
    Free Member

Question:
    Has anyone felt that the hunched-over straining while dragging a road bike up a long, steep hill has contributed to them tearing themselves a hernia?
    And has anyone found any exercises to specifically target these useless abdominal muscles that are meant to keep your insides inside in order to stop (or at least lessen the likelihood of) hernias?

Background:
    I do have an appointment to have a doctor poke me later in the week about this but curious to know if anyone here has had something similar to this, and what you did.

I’ve had an inguinal hernia before, one on the left just around the inside-top of the thigh. When that happened the doctors said I have the same weakness in the abdominal muscles in the right side so will be liable to get a hernia over there too.

Now I haven’t torn myself another hernia yet, but I have occasionally had bits of my insides try to burst through, showing up as bumps the diameter of a small Wagon Wheel (i.e. the new ones). Doctors have also examined this in the past and because I have always managed to just massage these bumps back in and carry on with life they’re happy to wait until I actually rip something.

Anyway, I was road riding up some hills on Sunday. Did not feel any tearing pain during the ride. But after getting home and while getting ready to step into the shower I saw not just a wee bump of intestine trying to poke through, but a 6-inch long, 3-inch wide banana-shaped protrusion from the right side that came up and across below the stomach. Even though I was able to shove it all back in I am thinking this is not a good development. Nor is the fact that it still aches now, two days later.

Thanks in advance.

IHN

I too have had inguinal hernias on both sides. They’ve both been repaired now, so I have a form of bionic groin 🙂

However, I do get what feels like the hernias felt like when I do a lot of riding, but I’m pretty sure it’s just a slight groin pull. So, I too would be interested in any exercises that strengthen bits down there.

alric
    Free Member

Same,which exercises?
    I used to find the pressure worst at the end of the day, or the top of the mountain, when I sat down.
    When I was getting changed after.
    long ride , for example, in a sitting position, I could get a golfball size lump in stomach, and have to lie on my back for a few minutes until it went back
    Was very scary

teasel
    Free Member

I’m on the mend from a recent(ish) op and have been given some exercises to help strengthen the femoral/groin area (NHS physio). I could take a photo and put it here if you’re interested. They have definitely helped to give back some solidity in that area cos I started lifting again this week.

By the gods, the worlds lightest squat almost killed me. Never again will I wait so long before getting back to it…

sb88
    Free Member

Jesus. I’m getting back on the deadlifts and planks.

Hope it improves chaps.

DrP

well straining and heavy lifting can ‘promote’ a hernia.
    so it makes sense that gurning your way up a climb would also do the same.

If you find you are also getting a rectal prolapse, an old DH saddle from the 90s is a decent enough size to ‘jam it back in there’…

DrP

svladcjelli
    Free Member

Teasel, if it’s a photo of the exercises rather than your groin then yes indeed I will be very grateful to see it. Much appreciated, thank you.

And thank you too DrP for putting that image of something else to watch for in my head. As wonderful as these human bodies are, they can sometimes feel quite fragile machines.

I did have another “I wonder” moment, this time about that kinesio tape stuff. Was wondering if maybe there is a way to strap myself up with some of that to try to help hold bits in (the doctor couldn’t find any tears or holes). But can’t quite think of how it could be done other than going right around the leg/hip.

teasel
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot to check back.

LOL @ pics of my groin, you saucy sod.

But seriously, I’ve just tried taking some shots and the images aren’t coming out clear enough to be useful.

I’ll attempt to describe them instead.

All start from the same position – laying on your back with hands by your side, knees up, feet on the ground. All movements slow and controlled

1. Hands onto thighs. Slide hands up thigh to knee and hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

2. Lower one knee to the ground and back up to middle. Repeat 5-8 times per leg.

3. Pillow squeezed between the knees, buttocks clenched. Lift bottom off the floor and down again. 8-12 times. 3 sets.

4. Lift both feet off the ground so thighs are perpendicular to the ground, shins horizontal. Dip toes as if dipping in water and return, slow and controlled. 5-8 times each leg.

Remember, these are all very light and designed to strengthen the areas commonly associated with hernias* – femoral area/upper groin/lower abdomen as well as upper inner thigh.

I moved back to light weights after about 3 weeks of the above.

If this isn’t clear enough just post again and I’ll painstakingly draw around the outlines of the images so they’re able to be picked up by the camera.

*According to the physio. Before anyone starts abusing me for the accuracy (or not) of that statement.

woody21
    Free Member

I had two inguinal hernia’s and a spigellian hernia – all repaired now. I still get the odd twinge now and again

teasel
    Free Member

Here ya go. They’re in order of the above descriptions:

The first image is a little misleading because the text suggests the movement with palms on thighs not behind the head as pictured but I thought I’d post it anyway to give a general idea.

HTH

svladcjelli
    Free Member

Brilliant, thank you very much Mr Tea!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘STW docs and/or herniated people (Warning: Embarrassing Bodies content)’ is closed to new replies.