Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • STW Detective Agency
  • eth3er
    Free Member

I'm a one man band electrician and did a rewire on behalf of a builder who has run off owing me £1000 of an agreed £1650. The contract was verbal. I am small and this has basically put me against the ropes. It's now four weeks after I finished the job.I am on good terms with the lady whose house I rewired.

I'm trying to take him to small claims court but I don't have his address. I have his van registration though and I'm assuming it has to be registered to his house. Does anybody know how I could go about getting his address so I can close this nightmare?

MrNutt
    Free Member

DVLA?

earbyphil
    Free Member

Eth3er
    Tell us your location, or location of suspected van man and we will keep an eye open.

iDave
    Free Member

if you get his address, there are quicker ways to get your money than going through the small claims court

cranberry
    Free Member

Do you not have a mobile phone number – get a mate to call him for a quote for some building and be there when he comes round.

nbt

I'm trying to take him to small claims court but I don't have his address. I have his van registration though and I'm assuming it has to be registered to his house. Does anybody know how I could go about getting his address so I can close this nightmare?

As suggested above you can get it from the DVLA, you will have to pay a fee and explain why you want it though

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you know if he's a sole trader or a limited company?

Xylene
    Free Member

post phone number, google number does it appear anywhere else.

check his name on facebook etc – presume you know it and the area you/he lives in.

use phone book and subscribe to 192.com to get electoral roll

eth3er
    Free Member

Thank you very much, will be on the phone to the DVLA in the morning.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Whatever you do.

Dont put that reg no. into one of those online car insurance sites where you would put the name of the owner in and then it would ask you if you wish it to auto populate the rest then get the address info and own him with bombers.

nudge nudge wink wink.

Good luck.

MrGreedy

Companies House can also be useful for this kind of thing (not sure if it includes sole traders though, presumably that's why Onzadog asked).

coffeeking
    Free Member

DVLA is the best option (and legal) here I think. You just need a reasonable reason to request the info, and it's just an admin fee.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks MrGreedy, I clearly didn't finish that thought fully! That is indeed why I asked.

scaredypants

I am on good terms with the lady whose house I rewired

doesn't she know the geezer's address ?

miketually
    Free Member

doesn't she know the geezer's address ?

Or name or phone number?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

In my opinion he's done this before, probably knew that the verbal agreement left you in a weak position. When you eventually find him, and hopefully get your money owed, drop a word to vatman

mrchrispy

you lot are crap…..do i have to do everything myself?

own him with bombers and wee in his shoes!

konabunny
    Free Member

DVLA website is (possibly intentionally) not very helpful on this. You have "reasonable cause" to get the registered keeper's details because you are preparing to sue him.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_180097

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘STW Detective Agency’ is closed to new replies.