Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • STW dentists
  • theotherjonv

I had a rear lower molar taken out yesterday – first extraction in 48 years and while not as bad as I’d imagined (and a blessed relief after the toothache) the tooth did break on pulling and it took a fair bit of excavation to get all the roots out bit by bit. So a 50 minute job in the end.

Anyway – as the pain starts to recede with nurofen and parrotseatthemall coping nicely, and a quick shine of a torch in my mouth reveals a nice cap of grey white granulation tissue. And I’m eating lukewarm mush and soup and rinsing regularly with salt water like a good boy. Because the idea of dry socket terrifies me. I have therefore 2 questions…..

How fragile is this granulation tissue cap; I’m trying to keep stuff away from it but occasionally my tongue can’t help itself. Obvs I’m not scrubbing it / near it with a brush but am I likely to dislodge it if I’m careful, or is it likely to be well stuck to the sides after 36 hours, give or take?

And second; I have a filthy cold; apart from (obvs) not doubling up on the paracetomol content, any reason not to take a cold remedy / decongestant?

Ta…..

theotherjonv

bump for the daytime dentists

nickc

it’s quite rare. swishing with water and coughing and sneezing won’t help ( and smoking). 3-5 days is the normal period that it could occur

theotherjonv

with this cold, coughing and sneezing aren’t avoidable. Don’t smoke, not swishing with anything, just bathing the area in lukewarm salty water after eating.

I did read that it’s mainly uppers that are an issue with coughs and sneezes where the sinuses can be connected…. so fingers crossed.

crewlie

Sounds like you’re doing everything ok. First 24 hours is where the main risk is. Don’t worry about sneezing with a lower extraction. Can’t think of a reason not to take cold remedies, other than the dosage issue, which you’re aware of. You’re right to be careful, dry sockets aren’t fun.
    I don’t practice anymore so my advice is completely non professional:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘STW dentists’ is closed to new replies.