• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • STW Dadsnet …. Which rucksack style carrier?
  • letmetalktomark

Our little man is now nearly 10 months old and is too big/curious to be carry in a chest mounted carrier.

So for days out with the dogs where we don’t want to take the Bugaboo I would like to get a rucksack style carrier.

It would be useful if the bag could be worn by myself and Mrs LMTTM.

Seen the Deuter one and like the look of that but am really open to suggestions and recommendations.

This is the Deuter one:

jam-bo

We have the macpac vamoose. Seems good so far. bought S/H on ebay.

meehaja
    Free Member

I got a tomy one I think, s/h for a tenner. See if you can try one first, some kids hate them and those posh ones are pricey!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gunz
    Free Member

We used a Littlelife one which was ideal and quite comfy with a proper rucksack back system etc.
    Colleague is looking to buy it at the moment but if she decides not to I’m flogging it for £50 (new £130) if you’re interested.

TooTall
    Free Member

We had a Little Life – pretty good and well worth getting 2nd hand.

The wee buggers get very heavy very quickly as they grow! They also find your head more entertaining each trip.

winstonsmith

little life one as well – works well with our 10 month old. definitely get one 2nd hand as they are expensive and generally not used that much so condition is still good.

Earl_Grey

I second the Macpac Vamoose. Brilliant bit of kit – not cheap but they seem to retain their secondhand value well.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Got a Macpac Possum. Bought 2nd hand. Pricey new. Very rugged.

mangoridebike

we’ve got that deuter one, both our kids were happy in it. It is now no longer needed by us and we were talking about selling it last night. If you’re interested let me know, although postage may be a bit of a hassle. email in profile

jfletch
    Free Member

IMO that Deuter one is a bit OTT. We have the model down, a kid commfort II and would recomend it. Comfy to wear and we have not complaints from the little one.

Although she would struggle to put it into words!

trb
    Free Member

We’ve got a macpac but I can’t remember which one right now. Very good, confortable to wear with a slidely adjustable thing for tall people and short people…. and for sale!

To be fair it’s very big. It’s more of an “all day outing up snowdon” type pack rather than a “1/2 hr walk round the field with the dogs”

little trb #1 got bored in it after twenty minutes and howled until I took him out
    little trb #2 loved it and would happily sit in there for a couple of hours.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Little life traveler here, £30 from ebay. I’d suggest going for one with a large pocket and not much else as you have to take it off to access the pockets if you are on your own. Also they get heavy very quickly. I had my son out on Sat after not using it for a couple of months and he felt a lot heavier!

The traveler now seems to be called cross country:

http://www.littlelife.co.uk/html/child_carriers/cross-country-s2.html

EDIT – the harness is very adjustable and fits my Mrs as well

biker66
    Free Member

I had one of those old steel framed Karrimor ones off ebay. Then I bought an expensive deuter one.
    The advantage of the deuter one was the sunshade and rain cover. All the extra padding and straps were negligible. A little bit more comfortable but more sweaty. Used it for a backpacking trip in Asia.
    Went back to the karrimor one , but this time using the straps correctly and it was really much better ( although baby was 3 now and not falling asleep in it) …
    I sold the deuter one and won’t sell the Karrimor one. It’s much lighter, easier to clean, smaller so easier to carry on a plane. I’m sure you could rig up some kind of sunshade/ umbrella type thing.
    The deuter ones do have good re-sale value though.
    In fact , this is the one I had http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-karrimor-baby-carrier although I paid 20 quid for mine off ebay

bullheart
    Free Member

MacPac Vamoose – ace bit of kit. Very very tough, lovely features and really well put together.

A few of them on eBay recently – I got mine three months ago for the princely sum of £5.50! Brand new, just a little dusty from storage!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Another happy Little Life customer here. We’ve got the Freedom:

http://www.littlelife.co.uk/html/child_carriers/freedom.html

Ours has been in regular use since our little one was about 7 months old. Comfy and very adjustable. He’s now 3 and although he’s now happy to walk himself we still use it occasionally – an example being yesterday in the Lydford gorge. Water was pretty high and it was a bit too slippery and tricky for little feet so we popped him in the carrier for the difficult bits.

He’s getting a bit big too carry in it for more than a couple of hours now but when he was younger we did proper full day hikes with all our kit without any problems.

ransos
    Free Member

Littlelife here. Very good, lots of adjustment and a good sized storage pocket. That said, carrying the nipper up steep hills is getting harder and harder!

We took our baby to a good outdoor equipment shop so we could try her in a couple of different carriers – I suggest you do the same.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for what Ransos said. Cotswold were really good and let us try out all the carriers they had in stock.

jam-bo

I got mine three months ago for the princely sum of £5.50

really? I watched pretty much everything going and paid about £60 which seemed the going rate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Macpac here. Great item.

Ben_mw

We’ve got a Littlelife Voyager S2. It’s brilliant.
    We went from the Babybjorn front carrier to a Deuter Kid Comfort (1, I think), but didn’t get on with it due to the rain cover not being very good in the wind – it just sort of opened up and flapped around, letting the rain in, it also restricted little madams’ arms which she wasn’t happy about. (The first 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile of any walk we do from the house is very, very exposed – think watching the rain/snow/hail pass in front of you, but going uphill)!
    We got the Littlelife from Little Trekkers in Barnsley, they’ve got a really good selection that you can try. From memory, the Macpac ones (which is what I thought I wanted) had a very good harness, but the seat and childs harness wasn’t as good as the LL. I think that they may also have had different back lengths that meant we couldn’t buy one that would fit me and my wife, but that may have been a different brand.
    I’m sure there was another brand available but again felt the bit where the child sits wasn’t very good. They also do Deuter. If you’re in the area they are worth a look.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack (but thanks also for suggestions; I’d already mostly decided on a LittleLife so comments helpful). However, until its time for a LittleLife, we’re looking for a carrier for 0-12months-ish. Uncharacteristically, mrs deadly, after some encounters with some friends with richer brothers and sisters, who bought them a Stokke MyCarrier, is mad to get one. To be fair, I’d normally be the one to splurge but we’ve bought nearly everything second hand. Is there any reason (other than the ridiculous price) not to get one?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

DD it looks a good piece of kit but is mega expensive. We had a second hand Baby Bjorn one which was very secure, but you only get a few months use from it. They can go into the rucksack from about 6 months from memory.

igm

DD – for our second lad at that age we used what was effectively a very long fleece scarf. Very comfortable, soporific beyond belief, light and easy to stash. Then daddy’s shoulders.

Like others on here, our Littlelife rucksack style carrier, complete with raincover will be going on eBay soon – unless someone wants to make an offer – email in profile.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I fear the decision’s already been made though. 😐 tbf to mrs deadly, she’s let me buy everything apart from car seat second hand. The poor thing has been wearing maternity hand me downs and jeans from eBay. I think she’s having her own way on this one. 😳

Plus, they sell for not much less than rrp on eBay when you’re done with it anyway. It’ll get used at least twice a day for dog walking by one of us – I don’t really expect her to wear the big back pack thing quite yet. 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

[sales pitch]
    We have an expensive BushBaby one that had very little use for sale. Cost us somewhere around £200 (has suspensions and everfing!), so would hope for close to half price if anyone is interested. Anyway, drop me a line…
    [/sales pitch]

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I have a Macpac Vamoose that I am now selling if you are interested?

therag
    Free Member

Sold ours on eBay YESTERDAY 🙁 £15
    They have them now & then in lidl.
    They are great until about 18 months I found, but then too heavy and the constant ear pulling got the better of me. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

However, until its time for a LittleLife, we’re looking for a carrier for 0-12months-ish.

We used the Littlelife from 6 months.

bigG
    Free Member

Littlelife Voyager S2 here. We bought the big one with the removable backpack so we can get everything we need for a day out in one pack. You also get all the extras included with the Voyager so no future expense.

Our little one has been in it from nine months old, she’s now 20months old and still goes in it. Amelia loves it, she can see everything thats going on, and can snooze when she’s bored or tired.

Very comfortable on the back because of it’s adjustable back and similar strap design to some high end rucksacks I’ve used over the years.

Great investment.

See below for pic of happy child excited about seeing pandas, while being carried around by dad. Beware that kids will use your ears as reins to steer you and encourage you to move faster, or maybe that’s just my child.

theflatboy
    Free Member

just going to pop this here to remind me to check this thread in a few months. 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    really? I watched pretty much everything going and paid about £60 which seemed to be the going rate

Honest! Additional cost was a tenner to go and collect it from near Chatham. Fella wasn’t very happy mind…

transapp
    Free Member

Bought a littlelife S2 as well, I really don’t use it much (city boy!), but glad I bought it. Moving to the country in about a month so I think I’ll use it a fair bit more. Check out mumsnet / gumtree classifieds as well, they do crop up

ac282

We were given a bush baby elite. Its great for us but I’ve not tried anything else….

The only thing I would say is that it seems a little short. I have the back system on its longest setting and I’m only 176 cm tall.

bruk

Friends gave us a Macpac which is great. At just over 2 and over 13 kg he is pretty heavy to hump now and the advent of the balance bike means he doesn’t need it as much but still useful as you can strap the bike to the bottom bit of it when he gets too tired

As well as steering by ears mine has started practice for horse riding by kicking me giddy up style to make me go faster/run.

If I had been paying for it I would have tried several on for size though the Macpac fit great.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘STW Dadsnet …. Which rucksack style carrier?’ is closed to new replies.