• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • STW Dadsnet – what "travel system"?
  • TheFlyingOx

There seems to be a gap in the market for a 3-wheeler suitable for light offroad/jogging, complete with a car seat and in the region of about £400. I’m sure there must be something out there that ticks the boxes, but I can’t find it.

Any recommendations for either places I should be looking or prams themselves?

Cheers.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You have a small child and have the energy to go jogging?

TheFlyingOx

Hehe.

I have neither at the moment, but the intentions are there. It’s more a case of taking Ox Jr out and about in the Pentlands or wherever without rattling his/her nappy off.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think there are some more heavy duty buggies out there.. although not with an integrated travel seat. The problem is they grow.. and the seat that they fit in at 2 months may be cramped or outgrown at 3 years old.
    We ve had a Phil and Teds sport for 4 years and its been everywhere.. although its had a totally new seat cover on it and various new tyres and bearings its still going strong.. its probably done about 4k miles of beach, woodland and pavement. If your planning on having 2 with close ages its a great option.

tonyd

We have a Mountain Buggy Terrain in the garage which we got when our first arrived. Extremely tough and light, hammock style seat is great for off road, although that style is discontinued (no idea why). Don’t think you can fit a car seat to it though, and only really suitable for 3 months + IIRC. Mountain Buggy used to be a standalone company based in NZ but got bought up by Phil and Teds.

We actually ended up with a Phil and Teds too as number two came along sooner than expected and we needed a double. Ours is in great condition as little use, although the use it did get included hiking over the North Yorkshire and a fair few tow path 10k runs.

We’ve been meaning to Ebay it for ages, if it’s of any interest drop me a mail (in profile).

Pridds

We have a Jane slalom r which can come as a full travel system with strata car seat. Good, light duty off road capable buggy that we still use and she’s now nearly 2. Not sure about the jogging bit but it would be up to that but it is fairly heavy, might be abit more than £400 but they hold their value ok for selling on afterwards

mudshark
    Free Member

I got a Quinny Freestyle XL system for £85 from Ebay in as good as new condition. Great offroad. The Speedi SX is more robust though.

Harry_the_Spider

This

We have the older version and it has done 5 years and 2 kids.

Pieface

IMO the travel system element is not a deal breaker. I’ve maybe used the feature twice in the last 2 months. Mostly put her in the pram as it has better weather protection

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

We are waiting on a Mutsy Evo (and Maxi-Cosi Pebble car seat), they only came onto the market about 4 months ago. We went for the carrycot as well so this puts the price up a bit also, it’s meant for light off road use, nothing like a Mountain Buggy but we hope it will allow us to off road a bit. We liked it cos in folds much smaller that most (60x65x30 i think)
    TBH I am planning on carrying little HD in a sling/baby bjorn if we go out anywhere that rough!!!

yetidave
    Free Member

we have a Quinny Speedi SX which we are taking to a Jack & Jill sale in Livingston tommorow…Also a carrycot which came with it, all you would need is the car seat and the adapters to suite.

Carrycot and buggy for under £100…

mefty
    Free Member

Jane are good, ours is just about to go on ebay, both car seat and buggy, if you are interested email me.

TooTall
    Free Member

Three wheeled not so good for stability – 4 wheeled better for about town. Your little one should be over 6 months before you start battering around the trails with them. We had a Mothercare 4 wheeler that could take the Maxi Cosi baby seats, but we’d probably go for a Baby Jogger City were we to do it again (and if I were shorter for the slightly lower handle). It looks like they don’t do the ‘original’ big-wheeled Baby Jogger any more – we have one for big adventures and running with – unbeatable.

TheFlyingOx

we have a Quinny Speedi SX which we are taking to a Jack & Jill sale in Livingston tommorow…Also a carrycot which came with it, all you would need is the car seat and the adapters to suite.

Carrycot and buggy for under £100…
    Dude, you have a deal. The missus was looking at one of these today.
    Where’s the J&J sale held and what time will you be there? Can you hold it for me please?
    Andy Oxley

salsa
    Free Member

Try a Trek Rocket, 20″ wheels not a baby seat but a harness, converts to a baby trailer we used ours for 5 years it went everywhere, forests, mountains, back of bike, would recommend one anytime

yetidave
    Free Member

Where’s the J&J sale held and what time will you be there? Can you hold it for me please?

Andy, you have mail.

TheFlyingOx

Hmmmm. Nothing yet although I was in the middle of a email purge 5 minutes ago, so it might have been subject to a bit of “friendly fire”.
    I’ve emailed you on your profile address.

yetidave
    Free Member

#goes off to check work e-mail…!

TheFlyingOx

Oh, and cheers for the other suggestions STW Dads.

anagallis_arvensis
    mudshark
    Free Member

Three wheeled not so good for stability

Um well not noticed any Reliant Robin type issues with ours!

tonyd

A decent three wheeler is very stable, and if you’re going to do a lot of off road I’d recommend a fixed front wheel. The front wheel on out Phil and Teds locks but still rattles around on the rough stuff, the Mountain Buggy however with a fixed wheel will go over pretty much anything. It is a bit of a pain steering a fixed wheel around town though as you have to lift and shift to adjust your line, or drag the front round. Horses for courses.

mefty
    Free Member

The Jane also has a button to fix it or it can wobble – it also has a disc brake – I am not sure this has ever been used! We took ours over ploughed fields quite happily and also fitted down the aisle of a London bus.

They are very good – a lesser known brand but “won” the Which test when we were looking apparently.

Appreciate this is all rather too late in the day as OP seems to have a deal.

redted
    Free Member

You need one of these:

Its got 2 qr bike hitches, Baby sling, head restraint for when they are a bit bigger, suspension, very stable.Loads of storage and protection. I’d do it for £375 posted. Email in profile.

ac282

That is a great deal. We love ours….

Dyffers
    Free Member

I’m 4 months away from the due date for our first baby, but provisional reading about ‘travel systems’ has commenced.

Nice to see the STW collective came up with the same two I’ve been drawn to, Phil and Teds or Jane Slalom.

The Jane looks like it’s going out of production though. Can’t think why; it’s the only one I’ve found that I can get a car seat with, instead of dropping another £100-and-something on a Pebble seat. 🙁

hora
    Free Member

This:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews185717.html

http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/pushchairs/3-wheeler-pushchairs/9394-baby-jogger-city-mini

We’ve had ours 2.5yrs. It folds down SMALLER than a holiday travel buggy as well.

Awesome. Ontop of this buy a car seat that stays in the car. Sorted.

Genius pop up/drop system.

Of course you may be the type who needs to pretend to passers by in the street that you are rich and can afford a 1k system.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘STW Dadsnet – what "travel system"?’ is closed to new replies.