Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • STW Dadsnet – help!
  • Pook

Pushchairs/travel systems/all that jazz

I like those 3 wheeler things.
    I’m tall so need a moveable handle. My wife is clumsy so we need a nimble bit of kit. Said chair/buggy/thing needs to go on a bus. We don’t have much storage space…the baby’s due in Feb.

Any advice?

Moon on a stick content? I literally have no idea!

kimbers

baby jogger city mini
    much tougher than the mamamas and papas/phil & teds crap

quick 1 hand fold is much easier too

steers great (i walk it every morning a mile with 1 hand, bike in the other)
    takes maxi cosi car seats and you can get a carry cot attachment, available too

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZRBcx1O8[/video]

Scamper
    Free Member

Always thought 4 wheelers were more stable and these days, don’t really loose anything in terms of agility to the three wheelers.

Depends a lot on your budget – £100 or £1000? 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

scamper – I guess up to £400 ish. Any advice on ‘travel systems’??

Kimbers – cheers. Love it how the Baby Jogger City mini is described as ‘not suitable for jogging’ though! :o)

project
    Free Member

I like those 3 wheeler things

totally unstable, tip sideways, when getting on a bus, the longer ones that look like sledges are ideal for shop lifters as they can be pushed fast when you run,

jam-bo

jane slalom r with the lie flat car seat work well for s.

Kryton57

On our second kid with a Quinny Buzz 4 and peripherals. Folds flat in the car boot, sturdy, has lasted well and if you keep the seats/cots/carriers clean they and the attachements sell well on EBAY.

cakeeater
    Free Member

360 nipper, highly recommend. Lightweight for getting in the car etc.
    http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/pushchairs/3-wheeler-pushchairs/9421-outnabout-nipper

Scamper
    Free Member

My concept of a travel system is the buggy base which can then fit an upright chair from a few months old, and a moses basket thing before. You then want to be able to ideally fit the first car seat on the buggy too. Furthermore, if you go down a proper isofix base for the car make sure it fits the next car seat up too. Think about storage too.

Easier to pick your next frame set.

Kryton57

Scamper, you just described the Quinny we have and I mentioned above.

bigG
    Free Member

Quinny Buzz users here too. It’s great. Fitted in the back of her polo pretty easily and did everything else you’d want from a travel system.

athgray
    Free Member

We just got a second hand Out and About 360 Nipper. Really light and nimble compared to our previous pushchair.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Jane matrix light

transapp
    Free Member

Had a bugaboo chameleon to start, First with the maxi cosi seat / pram thing, then moved to pushchair settings. Very good to push about, however it never was easy to get in / out of the car etc.
    Moved to the baby jogger city now. Genius bit of kit, really easy to move about and folds away as fast as you can pick it up but doesn’t have a height adjustable handle. 6′ seems about top limit for the driver!

joemarshall
    Free Member

We had a Quinny buzz. I’d not recommend it. First frame totally died, second (replacement) frame was quite rickety by the time we put it in the loft (when she was 1 or so). Don’t buy one if you live anywhere with any bumps (we live on a cobbled street), or want it to walk anywhere other than flat city streets. Pain to fold too, and once they start going rickety, they only get harder to fold. It unfolds really easily, but whilst that looks lovely in the shop, the only point where you’re in a hurry is when you’re folding it because there’s no room to get on the bus or whatever.

For buses, a sling is a million times easier. We had a Moby Wrap sling to start with (hippy big piece of cloth thing), then a Connecta something once she started escaping the wrap. Also brilliant for country walks, where any pushchair is rubbish (unless you love carrying them over stiles).

Be aware that most people seem to buy a new lightweight pushchair at about 6 months, something like a cheap Maclaren. Once they don’t need to lie flat, any old thing will do, and they are way more practical than a massive beast.

althepal

We have this-

Maxi cosi Lola-up/streety (not quite sure which one..
    Travel cot is light but sturdy, car seat goes on with adaptors and then in six months or so there’s a pushchair type thing that goes in either forward or back- facing.
    If there’s nothing attached can be folded and taken out with one hand.Fits fine in our focus boot but also in polo boot of in laws.. Has some storage space underneath which is hampered slightly by frame but have been happy with it. Currently being used for DS2 (as they say on mumsnet..).
    All in cost with adaptors for car seat was about £450 I think. Quite happy with it, plenty manoeuvrable and will prob be sold or passed on for someone else to use once we no longer need it.

funkrodent

Where to begin. Harder than buying a bike! Had the Chameleon for number one. Superb piece of kit, really well put together and well thought out. Proper cot that the baby could spend the night in (and often did) and then really good pushchair. Compatible with car seats, and great for all terrains due to it’s large pneumatic wheels and interchangeable direction. Good to fold once you get used to it and totally bombproof. Way ahead of anything else out there BUT this was five years ago. Not cheap either, but if you can pick one up for 3-400 2nd hand, certainly worth considering. Got a Phil and Ted’s when number 2 arrived 18 months later.really versatile, genius design that lets you take 2 really easily, worth considering, particularly if you envisage another one quite quickly. Test drive a few and avoid ones with small, solid, plasticky wheels and mainly plastic frames.

hoodie
    Free Member

Get a second hand buggaboo.

hora
    Free Member

First reply is the correct answer. We’ve had ours over 2yrs and it fits in our boot!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pook, I picked up £1050 worth of Bugaboo plus every gubbins you could possibly need for less than £400 on fleabay. There are bargains to be had.

Harry_the_Spider

Go to Mothercare and have a test drive. We did.

Their own brand 3 wheeler with 10″ wheels comes inside your budget and ours has been bomb-proof.

hora
    Free Member

Will it be power washed of the sick etc grime? 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Our Quinny buzz fell to bits to. Something snapped in the fold mechanism, so as you went to tip the front wheel up by pushing down on the bars, the thing would start to fold a bit.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sling or front carrier plus lightweight lie flat buggy worked well for us. Buggy was £80, carrier about £40 I think. We hardly ever drove though so the travel system makes no sense for us.

Regarding the bus, key consideration would be how much room is there and would she be asked to fold. On our buses we’ve had to fold once in about 200 trips, but a small buggy means it’s easy to squeeze into the tight wheelchair space or the buggy bit.
    Have seen some larger buggys either fail to fit properly or simply denied the right to board.

steve-g
    Free Member

Another Quinny hater here, they are just not very well built and after about 6 months the whole thing feels rattley, the front wheel has zero grip so when your walking around anywhere with shiny floors like the supermarket the wheel never wants to turn, when you try and get it up onto a bus the single wheel makes it difficult to balance, and it has no storage space at all. On the plus side though, they do look nice.

We never used the car chair attachments to the buggy either, the furthest baby travelled in the car chair was from the car to the house so that was a waste of a feature.

I think the way it works is you have to spend hundreds on a big shiney impractical buggy to keep the Mrs happy, then after 6 months once shes had enough of struggling with it through doors, onto busses, getting it in the boot etc and baby can sort of sit up you go to argos and buy a 20 quid pushchair thats light weight, folds up easily, takes up no space, and you can hang shopping on and move the expensive buggy to the loft.

We have baby no.2 on the way and Mrs-g has bought the city jogger double buggy thing, if it wasnt that its about 2 metres wide it would be a goodun, I would recommed the single one of those as being nimble, lightweight, adjustable, and not too big.

hora
    Free Member

Missed this bit: Said

chair/buggy/thing needs to go on a bus

Lisa doesn’t drive so its entire use has been on the bus and trams. Lisa is size 8/petite and not strong so this was the reason why we went with the City Jogger- in addition it can be used for jogging? Which makes it very nimble for off kerbs, onto buses etc and very light. As I said if it can fit in the back of a Citroen C1 you can also use it when flying away on holiday as a travel buggy..

Friends have the Quinny and mrshora felt ‘left out’ as its a Yummy Mummy thing to have a Quinny (apparently). So you may want to consider that when shes at the baby classes/meets etc.

crankboy
    Free Member

Bugabbo bee for us ,, principal criteria fits in the boot of a panda . Has small wheels so rattles over cobbles and is useless off road ( little life rucksack thing for country walks ) the bee has all the travel system options including the car seat clips . We found those useful as little h could be transferred from car to push chair without waking him if asleep or having a wrestle when stroppy .

The bee also has adjustable height handle folds two handedly but is compact .

We now 14 months in have a McLaren as well not as comfortable for him but lighter for us for the bus etc.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

We did the same as funkrodent (bugaboo for 1 then was given an old phil n teds which was great for 2) and it worked for us… Also picked up a cheap 2nd maclaren for hols and that was fine for a toddler

But in general I think choosing a pushchairs is a lottery … see above, some like the buzz others hate it.

It’s not much help, but you’ll make your choice and get on fine with it or it’ll be nightmare and you’ll change your mind.

If you can convince your other half to go 2nd hand (apart from car seat IMHO) then you can change your mind/the buggy as much as you like and not lose too much doe.

bencooper
    Free Member

Have you decided you really need one? We never bothered, just used slings and carriers. So much easier to store in a small house, easy to get on buses, and far cheaper…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Micralite FTW

joeyj
    Free Member

We have the M&P Urbo with all the accsessories including the carry cot which fits on to the base as well as the car seat with isofix car base hardly been used if you are interested. Has an extendable handle so will fit. We have moved on to the Phil & Teds Smart which Mrs joeyj thinks is better. Both excellent but I prefer the urbo as it is better made.

senorj

We also have a bugaboo bee and accompanying maxi cosi travel system.
    The travel system thing is great,if expensive, I got the very heavy base thing that fits into the car – very handy.
    We chose that pram for city/small flat&car issues ,but as crankboy stated,it’s pants once the path isn’t paved.
    I can see us buying something for off road in the near future.
    Hilariously Senorita j wouldn’t let me have the pram off fleabay – it had to be new!! but now I think she’s changed her mind.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘STW Dadsnet – help!’ is closed to new replies.