Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • STW Cyclocross folk. Handlebar advice
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I loves my new bike but I hate the bars on it (Giant branded thingys).

I can’t use the drops on them and I find them too narrow. So what other bars are worth looking at? I have FSA Vero bars on my Defy and I really like them but, I’m not sure if something a bit more flared would be better suited for off road?? (I’m out of my depth in cross stuff).

Jamie
    Free Member

The anatomical bars on the TCX are rubbish.

Get some FSA Omega Compacts. I know they are similar to the Vero, but not sure if the Vero has any flare? Whereas the Omegas do.

Halfords do them, so could click and collect them if you’re in a rush. Otherwise, Tredz are the cheapest.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWM0KTdCOY[/video]

Cowbells are supposed to be ok, but quite hard to get hold of.

kcal

Salsa Cowbells I like – I’m no CX fiend but they are suitably flared to get a good hold of, relatively shallow.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Salsa cowbells

scotroutes

I love the Salsa Woodchippers on mine. The wide flare gives a really good dropped position when off road. I’m not racing though, this is more of a “rough road tourer”.

monkeychild
    Free Member

May check out the Omegas, as I can use my BC Halfords discount. From reading online the Omegas are a touch narrower on the hoods?? What size did you use Jamie? as you’re a similar size to me.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use 42cm. The measure 41cm at the hoods, and 42cm at the drops.

I really don’t think there would be any drama if I went to the 44cm. Only 1cm each side, innit 8)

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hmm, may go for 44; as I find 40 way too narrow.

Jamie
    Free Member

You could always order 42 and 44 flavours from CRC/Wiggle. Just to have a feel of them, then just Collect+ back the pair you don’t want.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘STW Cyclocross folk. Handlebar advice’ is closed to new replies.