• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tang.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • STW Cookists: Crumble Conundrum
  • maxtorque

So, when making a crumble, these days, does one go old skool with a deep dish and thick top, or spin a more contemporary version in a shallow dish with a thin, sprinkled topping of crumble???

#firstworldproblems

😉

beej

Deep dish, thick top.

Or try a chocolate betty topping – dark choc, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, melted butter and golden syrup poured over the top. You can google the details.

EDIT – My kindness knows no bounds tonight. It’s the topping part of this:
    Betty

seavers
    Free Member

Deep dish thick top.

I don’t usually stew the fruit before hand but cook it slowly. Fruit has a bit more bite to it. Recently had a stewed version my mum cooked, was lovely but now I’m torn. If you are going thin defo stew.

Does everyone stew their fruit?

brakes
    Free Member

thick and invest time in making the crumble mix by hand, rubbing between thumb and forefinger. plus shitloads of sugar on top.

teasel
    Free Member

My mouth’s watering.

Bastards…

emsz
    Free Member

thick top of crumble. obvs 🙄

MoreCashThanDash

Who the heck makes thin crumble tops? Wierdos!

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you’re going thin on top then you might as well go the whole hog and cook them separately.

pictonroad

Put some crushed walnut in my crumble on the rhubarb at the weekend. A success.

TomB

Incorporate some porridge oats in the crumble top, yum yum

oldnpastit

Chocolate apple betty….Mmmmmm.

mogrim

Who the heck makes thin crumble tops? Wierdos!

I’m guessing stoner, probably. Guy doesn’t know how to make a pie, either.

Thick top, thick bottom.

More controversially: custard or vanilla ice cream? I’m thinking custard in winter, but…

mikey74
    Free Member

Thick crumble, thick base. Add chocolate chips and a little orange juice to the crumble,

Thin crumble is for idiots.

trevron73
    Free Member

A thin top or indeed thin base thin top is the ’29 er equivalent – A SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM THAT DID NOT EXIST go thick or go home ,

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Crumble topping should be thick–otherwise it’s a mere ‘crisp’ and has no business calling itself a ‘crumble’. Ground almonds are lovely in crumble topping and apple and raspberry is the best crumble fruit combination ever.

chvck
    Free Member

I am quite a weirdo, I even agreed with Stoner on the pie topping (I have since re-evaluated that opinion) but it’s definitely a thick top.

maxtorque

Ok, we ended up with a happy medium. Kinda not thick, not thin, with plenty of oats to make it less stodgy!

Verdict: lurvelllly!! 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I see there are still a few inches of the dish exposed above the top of the crumble. Crumble FAIL!!

The crumble as a whole should fill the full depth of the dish. It’s the law.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thick top but not so thick it can’t be violated by thick jammy gloop from the filling below.

Tonights was thick and deep spiced apple but due to a shortage of yogurt I had to suffer double cream

scaredypants

apple and raspberry is the best crumble fruit combination ever.

FFS! that is exactly the sort of mealy-mouthed newspeak that is blighting our once great nation

have at thee :

benji
    Free Member

Thick and with cubes of marzipan in there as well, yummy.

Next big decision is with custard or vanilla ice cream.

andytherocketeer

thick bottom, thick top, and since mine’s quite a deep Le Creuset pot, maybe an inch max between crumble and rim.
    never stew – just fruit in, sugar in (adjust for taste), cinnamon if it’s apple, crumble on top, cook.
    custard AND icecream 😉

ElShalimo

Never try the “healthy” option of half oats, it’s shite.
    Just doesn’t taste like crumble, it’s like a weird Muller corner hot weird shite thing. What’s the point? Crumble is supposed to be unhealthy, it’s a feccin dessert and the bestest comfort food in the world!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Rubharb a shot of amaretto some ginger grated no sugar on the fruit and definitely no stewing!

I like oats but its hardly the healthy option when the sugar and fat content is so high. Muscovado sugar sprinkled on top.

leffeboy

nowadays it’s got to be de-constructed, crumble in a little heap at the side surrounded by fruit coulis

…like heck it does – I go for tomaso and violation every time, and oats

tang
    Free Member

I agree with the above. I don’t want to be short changed on either layer. How about accompanying dairy based stuff? I’m less fussy here, in order of preference:
    Custard
    Cream
    Greek yogurt

However, ice cream can do one.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘STW Cookists: Crumble Conundrum’ is closed to new replies.