Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STW Coffee-istas: beans for an Aeropress
  • Notter
    Free Member

I like my long coffees, use an Aeropress and for Chrimbo I got a lovely Porlex grinder. I’ve been using Lavazza Gran Filtro as my regular ground coffee and have only tried Waitrose Sumatran beans since having the grinder which is nice, but I know people here recommend buying from the likes of Hasbean due to the freshness of roast. So….

The below blend from Hasbean seems to be their only long coffee blend but I wondered if anyone had any opinions of it, or any other suggestions? Give me your knowledge and experience 🙂

Hasbean “Phil ter”

speedstar

I just buy the stock costco stuff. We like the costa-rican stuff as it’s quite a strong roasting although this should mean it’s less caffeinated overall. What I have found is using a metal filter allows more of the oils to come through so produces slightly more body. Taste is incredibly subjective when it comes to coffee so just try different brands.

warton
    Free Member

an Aeropress is a good way to get the best taste out of coffee, try different types of the single origin stuff from hasbean, the african stuff can be pretty incredible, very fruity, sometimes almost tea like, the south american stuff, as a rule, is a lot richer, more ‘coffee like’

Rubber_Buccaneer

Get a variety from hasbean and find what you like. I think the difference between freshly roasted coffee and supermarket stuff will be a pleasant surprise.

BadlyWiredDog

I had one of the Hasbean ‘In My Mug’ subscriptions for a while using the same combination of Aeropress and Porlex grinder as you have. They send you a different bag of coffee beans every week with some tasting notes.

It was actually a really interesting experience and made me realise just how varied coffee can be, some of it I liked a lot, other stuff I was less keen on, but none of it was undrinkable. Not the cheapest way of buying coffee I’m sure, but quite entertaining and the Aeropress really does seem to bring out the flavours well.

Notter
    Free Member

Thanks so far everyone. I agree the aeropress makes a lovely cuppa, even using pre ground. Since using the beans the richness of flavour however is night and day! I do use a metal filter but can’t say i noticed a massive difference to the paper (rinsed first) but either way it’s less waste.

I’ll try a few different single origin ones and see how we go. With beans kept in the freezer what’s the best “lifespan” you guys have found?

Coffee, mmmmmm….. 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks the aeropress is shite?

Thought I’d try one after hearing nothing but good from all directions.

Ok, I’m not – MissisRob was equally underwhelmed. Not a touch on a stovetop…

warton
    Free Member

don’t keep beans in the freezer mate, just in a cool dry place in an airtight container

chrisdw
    Free Member

How are they different to one of those plunger style caffetieres? Genuine question.

Enjoy the stove top. But interested to see how this compares.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Better than a plunger type because the filter does a better job and it is even easier to clean. Otherwise not much.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How are you making it Rob?

Best for me is inverted: 17 grams of coffee, water slightly off the boil. 50 grams of water to let the grains bloom, then 150g of water, stir well and brew for a minute. Rinse paper, fit filter, invert back onto mug and press until the hiss then stop. Touch of extra water if you need it.

I’ve got some Thailand Doi Chaang beans at the moment – I’m craving a cup just typing that out. No coffee past 4pm for me though.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just per the standard instructions – will give your method a go and see how I like it 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Very different style from a stove top, certainly not for everyone. Like a lager drinker won’t necessarily like bitter, even though both are beer…

Notter
    Free Member

@Rob – fair enough, it’s all a question of taste, and I think a stovetop will probably do better as an Americano or stronger shot as opposed to a (as I describe it) long coffee. FWIW I do like a good killer espresso after a meal, but during the daytime much prefer a mugs worth.

For the Aeropress I use pretty much as torsoinalake’s method, inverted etc., albeit with a metal filter, and for me it works a charm. Just interested in the varying flavours which will obviously be subjective.

Another one of those hobbies for us all 8)

stevious

Alternative suggestion is to see if there’s a coffee roaster local to you and pop along to see what they have. The Bean Shop in Perth seem to remember what I’ve tried and what I’ve liked even better than I do.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘STW Coffee-istas: beans for an Aeropress’ is closed to new replies.