Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • STW Cliche alert -> Audi A3 Sportback tow bar advice please!
  • timmys

I’ve just bought an A3 Sportback and was after any advice/experience people may have for fitting a tow bar for a cycle rack. The guy I bought it off was telling me something about buying a rear valance off ebay and cutting a chunk out of it rather than buying an official audi one with a removable section or something – anyone know anything about this? (It’s the s-line valance).

PF Jones seem to be the big boys when it comes to tow bars – would people recommend them?

From what I’ve read on here I’m thinking of going with a Atera Strada DL 2 bike rack – I don’t suppose anyone knows if it would fit in the boot of an A3 Sportback (non-quattro)? Would be very useful if I could store it in the car boot when not in use.

easygirl

I’ve had a couple of towbars from of jones
    Knowledgeable and efficient I’m my experience

timmys

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Fat-boy-fat

Got the same car and bike rack (although the 3 version). Get the tow bar done professionally. The wiring loom for the A3 is a frickin nightmare, especially if you’ve got daytime running lights (should be standard on the s line?).
    If you get it done professionally, you should be able to get a removable tow bar where they cut a bit out of the valance that you can’t even see (it is on the bottom side of the valance).
    Your rack will easily fit in the boot but you might need to fold down your bike seats.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

used pf jones for a removal witter towbar jobby on a mondeo with rear parking sensors – they were very good

nearly went for the sportback myself, and i do have a strada atera 3 rack (1000×720) and it is just as wide as the DL2 (1000×520) and it just fits into the rear of a mondeo hatchback boot – which are pretty big, so get the tape measure out

they do lock to the towbar though

jam-bo

I have westfalia removable towbar on the older generation a3. didnt have to cut the bumper and the towball bit fits in the spare wheel insert.

timmys

Thanks for the help everyone. I’d certainly get it done professionally rather than attempting it myself!

I assume the detachable tow bars have some kind of locking mechanism to stop the rack and bikes being half-inched too easily? The fact they detach downwards, which is also the direction of force from the weight of the rack/bikes, makes be a bit nervous, but I’m probably over-thinking it!

I’m slightly lost with the electrics side of things too, I hope a universal kit would be appropriate rather than the audi dedicated kit as there seem to be a £125+ price difference. From what I can see the advantages of the dedicated kit seem to more applicable to ‘proper’ towing of a trailer/caravan etc.

timmys

Bumpage!

I contact PF Jones this week asking about dedicated wiring vs. universal kit, and a few other bits and bobs, and wasn’t very impressed with the reply that was simply copy and pasted off their website; “dedicated electrics are recommended for vehicles under warranty”. Would people concur with that advice?

blueraven
    Free Member

I have recently had a Westfalia tow bar fitted to my new (to me) BMW and went with all the official kit, it is more expensive but you have comeback if there are any issues with warning lights, parking sensors, etc.

I also went for the Strada Atera 3 bike rack and have been delighted with it so far, really easy to use one you have worked out a configuration that works for your bikes.

One thing to note regarding the electrics is that if you want the reversing lights and fog lights on the rack to work you will also need to fit a 13 pin socket which also adds to the cost (+£50) rather than the standard 7 pin one that most places fit. I was a bit shocked at having to spend ~£1000 on the tow bar and rack but dont regret it.

timmys

Yeah, in my head I was budgeting about £300 for the tow bar and similar for the rack but the tow bar looks as though it’s going to be around £700 on it’s own!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘STW Cliche alert -> Audi A3 Sportback tow bar advice please!’ is closed to new replies.