Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • STW Classifieds
  • monotokpoint
    Free Member

I think it should be compulsary to include photos in classified (FS) adverts on STW. It's so annoying having to email and wait, sometimes days, for a photo of something you could have otherwise made a decision on in a few seconds. It's a rule to do so on BikeRader adds, why don't we have it here (I suspect this has already been asked)?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Because then it would be like Bikeradar.

ollie
    Free Member

Because then it would be like Bikeradar.

In this case I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. It is annoying a s ****.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm all for that (and guilty as charged).

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Fair enough for used stuff, but does anyone need a picture of a brand new item,surely you know what it looks like if you are looking to buy it

Or do people really want pics to make the sure the seller actually has the item in their possession?

Tim
    Free Member

Tijuana Taxi – Member

Fair enough for used stuff, but does anyone need a picture of a brand new item,surely you know what it looks like if you are looking to buy it

Or do people really want pics to make the sure the seller actually has the item in their possession?

Not a bad idea – plus a pic can show if something actually IS new

chakaping
    Free Member

+1

And I'm usually happy to take someone's word if they say something is "mint" or whatever.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Yup fine Drac, although they were all brand new and boxed, so why you would need a pic is debatable. However if it were enforced as a rule that I had to insert images to post an add, I would have done.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

oh someone just said that

highclimber
    Free Member

having compulsory images for 'for sale' items is discriminatory against the Blind STWers!

MrTall
    Free Member

And don't forget those of us who have no IT skills (not to mention those who don't have a digital camera). I wouldn't know how to post a picture on here and would probably be unable to unless physically shown as i have no patience with or understanding of computers and how they work. People (who usually work in IT) fail to comprehend that there are people out there who don't have any IT knowledge and assume that everybody has a basic understanding of what they consider simple tasks.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Can be very hard to assess "new" condition from a pic unless it's clothing with tags still attached. A quick wipe over with GT85 puts enough of a shine on mechanical components, plus a seasoned seller will be careful about the angle that the photo is taken from etc.

I've no problems e-mailing for pics, or asking bods to e-mail me for pics.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

So this is a bad idea as it excludes those that don't have 'patience' with computers?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I only access STW from my phone, so can't link images at the moment, but alwaysmake it clear I have images available and can email to interested parties. I therefore wouldn't like a rule change on this.

Wouldn't lots of pictures create a bandwidth issue also?

It's so annoying having to email and wait, sometimes days, for a photo of something you could have otherwise made a decision on in a few seconds

Go buy from crc/wiggle then, if it annoys you so much.

monotokpoint – Member
    So this is a bad idea as it excludes those that don't have 'patience' with computers?

pot, kettle……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes, but having been stung a few times when good condition meant "it just about works but you wouldn't let your mum ride it" I wouldn't buy stuff without pics ever again.

The one thing STW classifides has going for it over BikeRadar, SDH, pinkbike etc is I dont get asked "would you swap it for my compltely shagged jump bike and an x-box?"

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Swift – Member
    Go buy from crc/wiggle then, if it annoys you so much.

What? Used?

Swift – Member
    pot, kettle……

Why?

hora
    Free Member

I think the ads should include photos and photos of the bike or parts in their current condition, i.e. just taken not when the owner first bought the bike or part.

I wont say anything else on the matter but I've fallen foul of this. Buyer beware and all that.

soobalias
    Free Member

if you dont like an ad without a pic, you could just ignore it.

power of the people and all that.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Monotokpoint, you complain that others haven't the patience with IT, yet your original point was you didn't have the patience to wait for photos…. Hence pot, kettle….
    I think it's all part of the experience, of you want instant gratification, buy new for more.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Me not having patience with the seller is not the same point as not having patience with computers that I was quoting, so no, it's not pot, kettle…
    Your second comment misses the point

soobalias
    Free Member

no it doesnt

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Maybe it's me paying more attention recently, just seems to be a lot of posts recently telling people what to do, if you don't like the post, leave it alone, simple as.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

I'm bored now

soobalias
    Free Member

that post displays the level of intelligence you demonstrated by starting this thread.

nearing a conclusion i believe.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I'm bored now

I'll take that as agreement then.

DezB
    Free Member

How about posters without any contact details – either on the post ([edit]advert) or in their profile?
    Ban them I say!

eg. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-lapierre-spicy-514-2009

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Yes I am unintelligent and I agree with you

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘STW Classifieds’ is closed to new replies.