Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • STW Causing browser crashes
  • Spin
    Free Member

Regardless of which device or browser I use STW is responsible for more crashes than every other web site I visit put together and has been for some time.

Is it just me?

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, it’s ju

onehundredthidiot

Me too. Including advert that hides behind others and wrecks formatting. But cant be accessed. Id answer the survey just to make it stop. But I can’t.

teethgrinder

No issues on mobile on Chrome.
    No issues on laptop on chrome (with certain add ons)
    Constant issues on work pc with IE – always getting ‘this site is not responding’ and IE windows freezing.

avdave2

Mine crashed opening this thread 😕

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I can’t use STW on my work pc, it just kills it. It’s something to do with the advertising.

It’s the only site. I’ve given up trying to access STW from work. Its the only notionally “work safe” site I don’t bother trying to access anymore.

CountZero

Trying to access STW at work was a royal PITA, because of warnings about various adverts or content; we’re fire walled up to the eyeballs for security reasons, (Gambling Commission/Payment Card Industries), and there’s the image posting issue causing crashes in Safari/iOS, but other than those two, unconnected, problems, STW doesn’t cause me too much grief.

scotroutes

Never had a browser crash with STW. Android/Chrome, W7/Chrome, W8.1/Chrome, Linux/Chrome, W7/IE, W7/Firefox

Kunstler

Android chrome crashes when there are photos posted in threads. No issues on the PC.

jekkyl

Yup on the works pc with ie, it’s like crash bandicoot without the bandicoot and with more crashes.

GrahamS

I notice those saying they get crashes are not P members, so could be related to adverts?
    I don’t see any crashes in normal use on Firefox.

But there is also a known issue on iOS which causes Safari to crash if you use the URL or IMG buttons.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My iPhone does it to the point I had the phone changed under warranty. The new one also does it. Took me a while to realise it only happens on this site.

fooman

Chrome seems ok because less ads are served to mobile style browsers. On a pc I use Firefox with JavaScript turned off (with a plug in) for less ads and no crashing.

djglover
    Free Member

Can’t use the site at all on IE at work, just freezes the browser.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Never had an issue with crashes on mobile, tablet or PC – but when it’s the occasional ‘re login’ time I do think wow, that’s bright!

duckman

Yup,freezes up more and more.

Drac

Can folks give a few details of when it happens, your operating system and browser. I’ll point the tech bods at this thread. Ta.

djglover
    Free Member

It has been happening on Ie 9 which we are forced to use at work for as long as I can remember. Happens every time.

I can use it on all my other devices no problem

nemesis
    Free Member

I get it on Android with opera mini browser if I’m not logged in which would suggest it’s advert related as usual…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I think it’s deffo “old IE” related.

I use Firefox at home and have no issues, other than once in a while crazy formatting,but work pc is stuck I think in IE9, and STW kills it.

I tried last on friday, a quick glimpse at the forum, (I’d not tried for a while) and I simply got the “Something on this page has stopped internet explorer from working”, and was stuck with a dead window I could not close, till I logged of the pc at the end of the day.

GrahamS

Can folks give a few details of when it happens, your operating system and browser. I’ll point the tech bods at this thread. Ta.

The iOS one is unrelated but if the tech bods are listening: latest iOS (8.3), if you hit the IMG or URL buttons it crashes Safari pretty much every time. Seems to be a newish problem as it worked with older iOS versions. Oddly the quote button works so I’d guess it is related to the pop-up

Drac

Ooooh! So it does.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what I was coming to post, v annoying.

GrahamS

Those reporting issues on desktop browsers: I’m guessing the tech bods will also be interested in what version of Flash you have installed and any browser add-ons you have.

jam-bo

Whereas absolutely fine on mine. iOS 8.3 iPhone 6.

Stoner
    Free Member

*lights a candle for applebois everywhere*

MussEd
    Free Member

“The iOS one is unrelated but if the tech bods are listening: latest iOS (8.3), if you hit the IMG or URL buttons it crashes Safari pretty much every time. Seems to be a newish problem as it worked with older iOS versions. Oddly the quote button works so I’d guess it is related to the pop-up”

Same for me iOS 8.3 iPhone 5

Drac

Cheers Stoner it means a lot.

alpin
    Free Member

Newest android version here. STW often causes Chrome browser to freeze .Have to close tab and reopen STW in a new tab.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I thought it was just me hence not bothering to post before. Seems to have got much worse since last weekend. My work laptop running IE9 crashes after the first couple of views has progressively stopped loading the ads at the sides of the page. However, our home pc running IE11 has now stopped loading the ads too (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing) but also won’t actually fire up the site at all occasionally.

GrahamS

LOLZ.

*lights second candle for the droid collective*

mick_r

Fine at home on Chromebooks / Android tablet.

At work sometimes OK and sometimes continually crashes on old version of IE (will have to look which version). I always assumed the random nature was related to specific adverts causing the crashes.

Drac

Give them a lollipop Graham, oh wait that didn’t work out too well for them.

njee20
    Free Member

Whereas absolutely fine on mine. iOS 8.3 iPhone 6.

Weird, same combo here. Quote is fine, but not URL or IMG.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s like the Dave Channel on TV, only we now have..

STW deja vous.

And if you are lucky deja vous +1

But not on demand..

mucker

Moto G with lollipop 5.0.2.

STW usually takes two or three attempts to open now and if I open another tab for whatever else by the time I go back to STW it has become a blank Chrome page, I was experiencing a lot of intrusive ads last week and kept having to go back and reopen pages to allow me to read content.

These things only happen on STW.

CountZero

The iOS one is unrelated but if the tech bods are listening: latest iOS (8.3), if you hit the IMG or URL buttons it crashes Safari pretty much every time. Seems to be a newish problem as it worked with older iOS versions. Oddly the quote button works so I’d guess it is related to the pop-up

This.

leffeboy

Problems on a Surface but it does seem to be ads related. Doesn’t crash but does seem to lock up – painful as it looks like the login link doesn’t appear until after the ads

Fortunately it looks like you can just use singletrackworld.com/login to get straight to a clean login page

Couldn’t handle the site with ads switched on.

jam-bo

Just got the crashing on iOS but it’s only if you try and use a second set of tags in a post.

chrismac

Crashes on me at work to, its the only place I use Internet Explorer. I just assumed it was our lousy IT setup. Clearly not

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘STW Causing browser crashes’ is closed to new replies.