Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • STW Builders- French/ Patio Door Installation
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone got a rough idea of costs??
    Moving in next month and thinking of getting it done before our move..

nickjb
    Free Member

What is there at the moment? An old french window, a normal window, a wall?

wwaswas

just had some quotes.

ours was to replace a window with a door but;

Quote 1: remove brickwork below window, fit french door etc. £1800

Quote 2: fit french door to hole I’d made: £1100

I went for;

Option 3: buy door myself, £585, cut out hole and fit door to it. This requires building regs as it’s a non-FENSA installation.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a pair of replacement doors and they cost £1000 (not double glazed but they are made from Iroko). Fitted them myself to save some money.
    Softwood doors maybe about £800-850 plus any work required to create the hole?

ebygomm
    Free Member

We paid £800 18 months ago for removal of brickwork below window and fitting a french door. Had quotes more than double that too

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What is there at the moment? An old french window, a normal window, a wall?

Good point, well presented..

Just a window at present.

Oh, and the radiator will need removing too..

wwaswas

if you widen the hole you’ll need to get a new lintel. the theory is that if you just take the brickwork below the existing window away then you’re not causing any structural stresses beyond those already in place.

One thing – check with your local authority on insulation values – this seems to be the main reason for the building regs bit that any replacement doors or windows have ‘acceptable’ levels of insulation – I’m getting a certificate through with mine that gives the values.

brassneck

£1500 to knock out the bottom of a window, supply and fit uPVC doors.

Worth every penny in our case.

br
    Free Member

We’ve just opened up a window to be a door – no additional width.

Labour to open up – £800.

Standards, made-to-measure hardwood/double-glazing door and all labour – £900.

If it’d have been brickwork the labour to open up would’ve been £250 – but it’s a 3′ thick stone wall so required the removal of about two cubic yards of stone/morter etc, and new pillars building up either side.

We could’ve saved £200 going for a standard door, but we want it to look the same as our other doors.

twoniner
    Free Member

This is not my house but we just had a similar set of doors put in but ours have opening windows at the top of each end section.

Beforehand we had a door to the far left and the rest was a massive window with a small wall section about 2 ft high.

We had the door, window and small wall removed and the big un fitted for a tad over £1600. What a difference it makes to the livingroom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘STW Builders- French/ Patio Door Installation’ is closed to new replies.