Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • Stoner
    Free Member

A_a, unfortunately we won’t be seeing Sam tonight. Sadly for all.
    http://www.warriors.co.uk/news/8494.php

anagallis_arvensis

Well thats thoroughly shite for the lad.

anagallis_arvensis

Burgess still a back then!

England 50-man training squad:

Forwards: Dave Attwood (Bath), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Calum Clark (Northampton Saints), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Alex Corbisiero (Northampton Saints), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Nick Easter (Harlequins), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Matt Kvesic (Gloucester), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Rob Webber (Bath), David Wilson (Bath), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Tom Youngs (Leicester).

Backs: Chris Ashton (Saracens), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Sam Burgess (Bath – can also play in the forwards), Danny Care (Harlequins), Danny Cipriani (Sale), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints), Kyle Eastmond (Bath), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath), Alex Goode (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath), Jonny May (Gloucester), Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), David Strettle (Saracens), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester), Anthony Watson (Bath), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester).

Looks strong.

duckman

Not that strong,12t is still in it,and also,Burgess isn’t a back. Can’t see how they can pick him over any of the rest of the back row or Dave Ewers at all.

anagallis_arvensis

Ouch, poor Gav.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Brizzle 28- 29 Worcester. Briz went six ahead with 4 minutes to go but Worcester touched down in the dying seconds. Must have been a pressure conversion..

tiggs121
    Free Member

Stronger than we can muster up here Duckman!

Is the Bristol v Worcs an aggregate score thing?

wrecker
    Free Member

Word has it that gavs proper ****ed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Henson has a fractured shin & is out of next week’s game. Ryan Jones has wrecked his shoulder and is also out.

Worcester’s advantage now I think, a win away and a home game to come.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

duckman – Member

Not that strong,12t is still in it,and also,Burgess isn’t a back. Can’t see how they can pick him over any of the rest of the back row or Dave Ewers at all.

Agreed.

The real weakness is the coaching team – Rowntree excepted.

wrecker
    Free Member

Meh. Marco mama is a fair replacement for Jones. Not sure who’s going to fill for gav though. Prob Tovey or mosses but id love to see Luke eves have a big final showing. Can’t believe they’re letting him go.

duckman

Tiggs,I wouldn’t trade either of our middle two for 12t,for me he epitomises everything that is wrong with Lancaster. 12t is a player who fits into the rigid system that they play and keeps getting picked because he is incapable of independent thought. What’s the betting they bring him on instead of Cipriani at 10 at some point?
    Wrecker; take that back! Nobody can fill in for Gav. #prayforAA

IdleJon

Entertaining game last night but a few thoughts drifted through my head as I watched..

Was it terrible defence and tackling on both sides or a handful of extremely talented players vs normal defences? (Vuna, Morgan etc) Certainly there were some big impressive hits but also plenty of missed tackles.

Bristol have three Welsh outside halves, at various points in their careers. I find that incredible. These were 2nd tier teams and the amount of capped, GS winning players on show was hard to believe. Money talks.

Once again, for 2nd tier teams the crowd was impressive. Equivalent Welsh teams struggle to muster 1000 people but then they don’t have Gav on the field.

And finally, I’m glad to see he is still impressively orange.

And yes, all this is jealousy! 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

He looked fairly pale when he was stretchered off. Who are these three welsh outside halves? Robinson had a few caps, Morgan hasnt played 10 for Wales has he and how many tests has Gav started at 10?

Morgan is a great player ball in hand but is no 10. Robinson or Gav would have been better. Morgan should have been a 9/wing like that Glasgow fijian fella.

IdleJon

You know what I mean a_a.

Stoner
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy and I have sore heads this morning. Superb game to watch. DD is bound to bitch about the reffing, and he got booed off a bit unfairly imo at the end. But the win wasn’t stolen from Bristol, it was earned by worcs in one of their hardest working games of the season.

Real shame to see the pretty boy stretchered off. His kicking was impressive. Ryan lamb’s was awful.
    The pack won the first half and if lamb had managed to put any of his kicks over they would have put the result out of doubt by the 40th minute.

As it was, the game stayed close and competitive for 80.

Worcs pack scrummaging and esp rucking was the best of the season. Finally.

Some of the backs tackling was v shonky though.

Got tickets for the boy and I for the return at home. Can’t wait. The away win by such a small margin is pretty meaningless really. Winner next week takes all.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sale sign former All Black Bryn Evans on a 2yr deal. Apparently Dan Braid gives him glowing references, don’t know much about him past his wiki page.

wrecker
    Free Member

Morgan is a great player ball in hand but is no 10. Robinson or Gav would have been better. Morgan should have been a 9/wing like that Glasgow fijian fella.

He’s a 15 IMHO.

Fair result really. Had Lamb made his kicks, the result would have flattered wuss. The Perenise binning was a travesty and barnes was at best guessing come scrum time but with the exception of the Perenise thing I don’t think it affected the result.
    Bris had the territory and possession but that shonky defence was exploited well by wuss.
    Good game though.

Kryton57

No reaction to the England RWC squad announcement? Hmm yes I can see why…

Gashton’s back in and Farrel remains, Seems like Cips will play 10 against the Baa Baa’s so thats a big game for him to prove himself, same goes for Launchbury & Morgan.

DanW
    Free Member

he went to train and halfway through training the forwards kicked off with each other, full of fists flying scrap. The coach just stood looking at them and said “every week its the same I just cant do anything with them”

Crazy! This young prop that went on to do well at the top levels described it as “tough” initially but “it got better as he matured and got stronger” 😯 That is some way have to to fit in to a team!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kryton it’s a training squad, 50 names. Means very little. No surprises really not even Burgess or Ashton.

Kryton57

And there was me thinking we’d finally beat the AB’s by fielding 50 players… 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

Highlights now available

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA_1CMaKXK8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlw3yDTlIk[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Just seen this pop up on FB. Could be of interest to some here, looks like it could be good.

Kickstarter here;
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1931963386/the-stand-0/description

anagallis_arvensis

Your prayers are working, keep it up!

But Bristol head coach Sean Holley expects Henson to return to action.

“He’ll be back for the early part of pre-season. Gav’s really in great shape, he keeps himself in supreme physical condition,” said Holley.

“So I would imagine we’ll see a lot more of him yet.

“Obviously he’s really despondent. He wanted to play a huge part in next week but he’s got a broken fibula.”

wanmankylung
    Free Member

On the subject of Warriors – how’s Simon Cross getting on?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What a boot from Pienaar SUFTUM

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh well…would have been nice to see the best team in Ireland get to the final. 😀

tiggs121
    Free Member

A great if slightly undeserved win for Glasgow! Never seen that coming.

anagallis_arvensis

I dont think you’re allowed to go back that far for a knock on nige!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Very poor kicking from Keatley kept Ospreys in it till the death. Poorest performance from Nigel I’ve seen in a while – he missed quite a lot out there today. I’ll take the result but if that try at the end had stood, I’d still not whinge about the ref – too much of that goes on in this thread. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

match organiser may appoint an official who uses technological devices. If the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal involving a try being scored or a touch down, that official may be consulted.

The official may be consulted if the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal with regard to the scoring of a try or a touch down when foul play in in-goal may have been involved.

The official may be consulted in relation to the success or otherwise of kicks at goal.

The official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure if a player was or was not in touch when attempting to ground the ball to score a try.

The official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure when making a decision relating to touch-in-goal and the ball being made dead if a score may have occurred.

Or in Nige world you can go ack ten phases to look for a knock on you missed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought the ref could go back further than that these days to eg forward passes like the French one that Steve Walsh spotted last year? They’re guidelines up there ^^ aren’t they? Not laws.

anagallis_arvensis

Well he effectively ran the clock down for Munster with the Ospreys effectively having no chance of scoring. Then at the end of the game he blew up even though the knock on ocurred with plenty of time for the scrum. He removed any chance of the Ospreys winning the game.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s a superb spin on Nigel losing the game for Ospreys. 😀 I’m sure Welsh fans would hate to have won it with the ref missing such a blatant infringement anyway wouldn’t they?

anagallis_arvensis

Its hardly spin its what happend. Would have been a farce for the try to stand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I suppose it is what happened, if, effectively, you think that Ospreys may have won the game with a scrum against the head inside the last minute.

Anyway, fair result on the day AFAIC. If Keatley had had even one kicking boot on, the game would have been out of Ospreys’ reach sometime early in the second half. My money would have been on Glasgow for the final, but they were poor against Ulster so it could go either way. I wouldn’t begrudge Glasgow a title – they’ve been entertaining this season.

anagallis_arvensis

Yes, I suppose it is what happened, if, effectively, you think that Ospreys may have won the game with a scrum against the head inside the last minute.

They most likely wouldnt have done but Webbs earlier try showed they had some chance as it was they had no chance at all.

It was a fair result though. Ospreys really missed Lydiates defence in the second half.
    Nicky Smith could be very special in a few years time. Gethin mkII.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aye agreed…he does look good. I thought Munster showed a bit too much respect to Ospreys’ ruck at the breakdown. I’m more used to seeing them contest rucks a lot more, but it was clearly a tactic from the start – based on the ref choice do you think? Or based on having lost to them twice already in the league and wanting more men to defend? Ospreys had a lot more pace out wide (IMO). They clearly didn’t make a concerted attempt to win ruck ball unless it was really there for the taking which is unusual for them. Their penalty count was quite low. 😀

Zebo looks like he’s carrying a bit of timber doesn’t he?

anagallis_arvensis

Zabo got mullered by Hassler didnt he! Walker is looking sharp too. Wonder if Johns might be an outside bet for the Wales world cup squad.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.