Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

SOB looking good, Gashton just tried to pick a fight with him too the daft prat

wrecker
    Free Member

Dave Ewers is a strong lad eh?

anagallis_arvensis

Orc hooker needs to hook

wrecker
    Free Member

Orc hooker needs to hook

Orc 9 needs to stop putting in straight!

Kryton57

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Orc hooker needs to hook

Keep,it clean. Webber is better than that, must be a game plan to put the effort on the Irish pack.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Chris Pennell. What a player, and what a loyal bloke too! He easily merits playing in ERC games, not in the English Championship.

nbt

Wolfhounds vs Saxons on Sky Sports tonight worth a watch, if I can convince Mrs Kryton to let me take over the TV

Enjoying the match via a streaming site. As a league man I’m not finding it the best union match I’ve ever seen. I’m surprised to see Burgess playing to be honest, he’s been OK but nothing special since moving to Bath, I think he’ll improve with time but at the moment he’s still learning and it shows

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How is the World Cup Winner in Waiting playing?

Kryton57

Yeah, Burgess shouldn’t be there. He needs to develop and earn his stripes. Media hype over.

anagallis_arvensis

must be a game plan to put the effort on the Irish pack.

what to lose all the scrums, can the 1sts try that next week please!!

s a league man I’m not finding it the best union match I’ve ever seen.

its all effort and no quality so far, both teams look like strangers, unsuprising

Tom-B
    Free Member

Burgess has been pretty crap cfh. He’s done an excellent looping pass to touch, an offload to no one and got in Dickson’s way a few times!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, not well, then?

Still, he’ll be ace, won’t he! I mean, look at that other great cross code success England brought in with great fanfare far too soon – Vainokolo. Currently struggling to get a game somewhere in a nearly forgotten club in France.

I feel sorry for Burgess really. Waaaay too much hype, and totally unrealistic expectations about his ability to play rugby. Rather wish he’d been able to try a season of lower home profile rugby before coming back to the UK. Perhaps even trying to do a SBW cross code season in Oz. Either way, he’s been put up on too much of a pedestal.

nbt

Dunno who he is but the irish seen to have tasked one guy with marking burgess and he’s doing a good job. Been a couple of cracking tackles from the Irish in general

wrecker
    Free Member

How is the World Cup Winner in Waiting playing?

Looks completely out of his depth so far.
    Saxons suffering up front; pretty much 5 back row players in the pack.
    Is this the refs first ever game? useless!

nbt

Is this the refs first ever game? useless!

Now that is one thing I struggle with, coming from league, I often have no idea why the ref has made a given call

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Shane Byrnes love child hooking for the Saxons

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is that a ninja edit I see?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What you talking about 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I often have no idea why the ref has made a given call

I wouldn’t use this game to learn the rules!

wrecker
    Free Member

GET IN!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well a win for the Saxons despite being unable to win their own scrums or lineouts.

Kvesic played well and Simpson looked electric when he came on. Christian Wade got one touch and took his try well. Somehow SL thinks he’s England’s 6th best winger…..

Burgess is nowhere near being a union player just yet.

wrecker
    Free Member

Agree on Kvesic and Simpson, and Slade went well. Ewers was a monster, how he got up (he didn’t even go all the way down!) from that charging headbut is remarkable.
    Good win for the Saxons against a very experienced Wolfhounds side in Cork.

sadmadalan

Thought that Henry Thomas was the best England player. Suspect he will be getting game time in the 6N

DanW
    Free Member

Henderson and Jones were looking good. Some fair performances in the pack I guess but not really an easy game to shine in and so many players coming back from injury. SOB wasn’t storming but you can see his natural strength even when far from full fitness. I love watching Isaac Boss play too- such a smart rugby brain to open up a gap from nothing from time to time. Earls was looking slippery but all too often pulled out schoolboy errors- great to see him run but no change from normal.

Chris Pennell. What a player, and what a loyal bloke too! He easily merits playing in ERC games, not in the English Championship.

Agreed. Pennel and perhaps Wade were the only Saxons looking close to ready for a first team outing. Daly had moments of showing his talent but wasn’t really shining throughout. The biggest let down (compared to fan/ media expectations) has to be a toss up between Burgess and Yarde. Not at all great! You’d have thought Burgess would have loved to line up against D’Arcy and Earls from a physical point of view but was easily contained. Not surprising for 60 days of Union but hey. Not sure on Thomas. As a back it is hard to appreciate the subtleties of a good individual forward performance but I can’t help thinking he is living on a reputation that isn’t justified at this level

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I thought hendo and Pennel were the best players from each side.

I feel sorry for Burgess, the expectation and hype on him is immense and he’s only started playing the game at a decent level. Even Earls stepped him

wrecker
    Free Member

Wade touched the ball, what twice? Really not sure how you manage to get that, and Shane Horgan agrees!
    Slade, Thomas, Kvesic, Simpson and Ewers really did their chances no harm at all. Perhaps LCD too (line out notwithstanding). Itoge did OK, especially seeing as he’s only played 8 games of AP rugby.
    I’d put Simpson in ahead of Wigglesworth and Youngs, Kvesic instead of Clark. Ewers deserves a slot, we need a rock hard grafter like that.

anagallis_arvensis

Bbc reporting J Davies an injury worry for Wales

DanW
    Free Member

Wade touched the ball, what twice?

Seemed twice more than Yarde and probably twice more than the average English wing sees the ball in a Test 😆

Jokes aside, it was interesting to see Gatland’s comments that he and Northampton are desperate to try and get North seeing the ball more- not just for his size and obvious skills, but also for his general lack of involvement sometimes. Probably also designed to try and motivate North ahead of the 6N but it is difficult for wingers to get involved in the modern game

anagallis_arvensis

We can play him at 13 now Jiffy Junior is broken!!

DanW
    Free Member

Nah, Mini Jiffy will be fine …. hopefully! 😕

namastebuzz
    Free Member

it is difficult for wingers to get involved in the modern game

True but a lot of the better ones go looking for work and it often pays off.

Wade was on the left wing but got himself over on to the right for his try.

anagallis_arvensis

Interesting stuff, I have often thought the reason that welsh players have been so poor in france is down to how they peak ie not for club games.

loum
    Free Member

Interesting interview. It makes a lot of sense. They know what the target is, when it is , and how important it is. It is the total priority above all else, and using all the time available to make as many incremental gains before a future Big Target is just modern sports science. Look at Brailsford and Sky/ Brittish cycling results before then during last Olympics.

Not surprised that Haskell seems to think that Gatland’s entire focus is on Welsh preparation for the World Cup. he’s worked with him before, and trained under him. Knows what he’s talking about.
    I’ve been saying that since before the last Lions tour. Makes a lot of sense why there were so many Welsh getting prep and experience against Oz, what with their record against Oz and them in the same group. Need all the advantage they can find. 😉

loum
    Free Member

Going back to the Wolfhounds game, agree with BM that Henderson was prob most impressive on his team. Amazing effort after so long out. Thought Dominic Ryan put in a good shift too, for a seven playing at six. As someone above said “ Dunno who he is but the irish seen to have tasked one guy with marking burgess ” – pretty sure it was Ryan nearly every time.
    The one time he wasn’t there was when Burgess made some yards then got the offload away behind the gain line to set up the play leading up to the first try. IMO, that’s exactly what he was brought in for, and created the key score, so that’s a successful game for him whatever the haterz think. Some mistakes too, but so did most, and progress for a player on 500 minutes .
    Ewers looked best of the bunch for England. Could do a decent job as bench cover for 6 and 8 next week, Billy’s not always an 80 minute man at International intensity, (Morgan neither, TBH, even when fit). And if Haskell starts at 6 then that’s all back row injuries covered if he can switch to 7. Can see this happening as he’s more versatile than Easter/Kvesic/Croft.
    Simpson (?) did his chances no harm as impact nine as Barnes said. Made an impact.

anagallis_arvensis
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, after his AWESOME performance for the Saxons, Burgess moves straight in to the full England training camp.

😐

I get the feeling Lancaster is just hoping that some sort of run’n’wriggle hard man aspect will appear in the centre to stop Dr Desperate Dan running through the England midfield.

Kryton57

Good grief, we are screwed…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could be yet worse if you win, Kryters my old fruit. If that happens, all of a sudden, Lancaster will be a tactical genius and Burgess the greatest rugby* player of all time.

*Proper rugby. 😉

DanW
    Free Member

The conditioning thing from Haskell on Wales is really interesting- sounds tough on the players! I get the aim of this approach but I don’t think you can normally fault the Welsh for lack of conditioning- more lack of basic skills at crucial moments and a little nous, against SH sides in particular. Of course lack of conditioning makes errors more likely but I think it is more due to a lack of a plan B and any subtlety in the playing style. I do sometimes think they (Gatland?) kid themselves that SA/ Aus/ NZ/ etc aren’t putting as much effort in to conditioning and it’s a way to gain an advantage- doesn’t seem to be working as there are a lot of tough, strong, fit dudes that can actually handle the ball well and have a great rugby brain on top in these successful nations 😕

I’m sure they aren’t excluding the technical aspects but I think the good teams can more than handle Gatlandball- Wales have to utterly dominate ever facet of a game against the SH sides to scrape a win and somehow just matching them or being good in one area of the game doesn’t seem to be enough. I guess this equate to a lack of tactical genius amongst the coaches which is hardly an unique opinion about Wales 😳

Kryton57

Burgess isn’t in the team, he’s just having his ego stroked:

Sam Burgess, who made his Saxons debut in Ireland, will also be linking up with Stuart Lancaster’s squad in Surrey, but only for a couple of days to continue his union education – he will rejoin his Bath team-mates on Monday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.