Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • loum
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@sputnik
    – those where the days when the ABs where mostly from NZ rather than the Pacific Islands

POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Starting to sound like you’ve been hacked by our usual resident Farage impersonator and his anti AB, bi-annual racism.

For the record, the All Blacks squad had one single “Pacific Islander” (your term) against England, Kaino, and he moved there when he was 4.
    The other 22 born and bred in NZ.

What about England?

Pigface
    Free Member

New Zealand IS a Pacific Island

being pedantic it is at least two Islands 😉

Kryton57

The one point second test loss in the summer concealed the fact that we were totally blown away during a 20 minute purple patch for the ABs and scored two late tries when we were 15pts adrift. We were thrashed in the third test and then, once again, a late score masked the fact that NZ were 10pts better.

This “late score”, “miss kicks at goal” “if” talk is all a rubbish. Its who has the most points at 80 minutes that counts.

So England scored late, so what?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

Some facts:

In the side that played Wales last weekend, 7 All Blacks had Polynesian names.

Kevin Mealamu – born Tokora, NZ
    Charlie Faumina – born South Auckland, NZ
    Patrick Tuipolotu – born Auckland, NZ
    TJ Perenara – born Porirua, NZ
    Jerome Kaino – born American Samoa
    Julian Savea – born Wellington, NZ
    Charles Piutau – born Auckland, NZ

So mostly Kiwis. One non-kiwi player. Anybody care to put England through the same analysis ?

(although I am not a racist, so if somebody tells me Tuilangi is from Birmingham I will stand corrected)

sputnik
    Free Member

That 74 team was more like the All Whites .

namastebuzz
    Free Member

@kryton 57 yeah I agree the score after 80 minutes is what counts as does Steve Hansen.

The point is that if you’re 8 points adrift with a few seconds left you’ve lost the match.

NZ scored a load of points in the last 15 minutes which won them the game against Wales. England scored a load of late points which did nothing to alter the outcome as the games were already lost.

anagallis_arvensis

All do england version:

Mike Brown hatched from the same egg as mr angry mike phillips therefore welsh
    Wingers, who cares they are crap and dont get the ball
    Baritt South African
    Farrel see Mike Brown Welsh
    Ford up north, lots of welsh players went north 20 years ago therefore most likely welsh
    Care drink problem scrumhalf M Phillips little brother
    Morgan played for Llanelli therefore welsh
    That Bath lock and the other fella can catch lineouts…not welsh
    Wilson looks like a fat adam jones welsh
    Gouging kiwi.. some pacific island
    Marler thinks he’s funny…irish

Tom-B
    Free Member

^brilliant 😆

Anyone else think that flashy may have taken to heart the ‘cfh bingo’ post? He hasn’t posted on this thread since…..if we’re going to scare off regular posters can we target a_a and pigface first please? 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (unattached), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
    Replacements: Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), James King (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Might just as well get Baldwin to throw straight to Matfield, that way he might miss him every once in a while.

Jarvis and R Jones on the bench is odd, they have spent ages trying to convert Jones to tighthead, hopefully he will go back to being a loosehead for good.

Dan Lydiate still playing for Hensons fav club, wonder where he goes next or what happens if he gets injured.

Kryton57

Well, England as per last week with Farrell benched and 36 at 12.

IMO, this is 36’s opportunity otherwise we go with Barrit 12 & Burrell 13 in attack, perhaps switch them in defence. Farrell & Ford to interchange depending on injury, subs and the value of the match I reckon.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just Hibbard and North you’re missing aa?
    Saints didn’t fancy another fine then?
    Saw Lydiate being discussed on the B*** board, along with Duane Vermulen.

anagallis_arvensis

Hibbard, James and Hook unavailable, North concussed. Bloody good job Gethin recovered. Not sure what has happened to Tipuric (Edit..Gatlands law again I suppose) I saw that about Lydiate, funny how they didnt think he was good enough! Baldwin is the big worry, his lineouts were rubbish v fiji and NZ. E Phillips is the better player IMO but he’s not as big so Gatlands law comes in, always choose the biggest player.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

RIP Jack Kyle, the greatest Irish rugby player ever.

I was lucky enough to meet Jack a few times and he was an absolute gentleman. A real loss to the rugby world.

From Ulster rugby:

Jack Kyle, widely considered as one of the greatest players to have ever represented Ulster, Ireland and the British and Irish Lions, has died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 88.

He was born in Belfast on 10th January 1926 and was educated at Belfast Royal Academy and studied medicine at Queen’s University.

He played for Queen’s, North and Ulster and made his Ireland debut during the second world war in a friendly against a British Army XV.

He won 46 full caps for Ireland, scoring 24 points including seven tries.

The highlight of his career was winning the triple-crown with Ireland in the 1948 Five Nations Championship.

Following a try against France in 1953, journalist Paul Macweeney, compared him to the Scarlet Pimpernel:

They seek him here, they seek him there

Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.

That paragon of pace and guile,
    That demned elusive Jackie Kyle.

He represented the Lions on their tour to New Zealand and Australia in 1950. He played in 20 of 29 games including all six tests.

After retiring from club rugby in 1963, Kyle embarked on humanitarian work in Sumatra and Indonesia. Between 1966 and 2000 he worked as a surgeon in Zambia.

He returned to Northern Ireland and settled in Seaford, County Down.

He was inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame in 1999 and in 2002 he was named the greatest ever Irish Rugby player by the IRFU.

anagallis_arvensis

Following a try against France in 1953, journalist Paul Macweeney, compared him to the Scarlet Pimpernel:

Did someone mention me?

RIP Jack Kyle, sounds like he was a great player and a great man.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is anyone really going to try and play Burgess in the scrum? He should make his debut today for Bath

Tom-B
    Free Member

He’ll come on at centre tonight apparently. Have there been many successful switches from league to union as a forward? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Was Gibbsy not a prop?

DezB
    Free Member

Burgess warming up on the line… Bath are pretty comfortable, so good time to bring him on… should be interesting!

wrecker
    Free Member

Not looking so comfortable in the second 20. Care looking good, but the quins back line are butchering chances with “safe” play. The best Quins running has been done by the hooker. It’s like watching england.
    Very unconvinced about the claims of eastmond and joseph for england.

tinybits
    Free Member

He’ll come on at centre tonight apparently. Have there been many successful switches from league to union as a forward? I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Brad Thorne has done OK…… However, I agree, far easier to learn a less technical, more running role in either format.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have there been many successful switches from league to union

Nope. 😀

Watching the Cardiff game at the moment. Am becoming a fan of artificial pitches! Looks good, seems a fair, fast, but secure surface for both teams.

wrecker
    Free Member

Devoto has dropped 7 pts now. Gav wouldn’t have dropped 7 pts 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Harlequins pack more hollowed out than blutones picolaxed rectum.

Entertaining to see burgess on the pitch.

Currently enjoying watching bt sport on my chromecast as directed by my phone. Tech seems to be working faultlessly.

wrecker
    Free Member

Burgess on. looks good so far 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Burgess is playing centre isn’t he? Replaced the full back.. definitely not a forward anyway!

wrecker
    Free Member

Not so far. Ford still thinks he could be!
    Quins pack should be ashamed of themselves. Dreadful.

anagallis_arvensis

Captain that pitch at Cardiff is good. The new Mill Stad hybrid pitch still looks shit but does seem much better too.

anagallis_arvensis

“It’s taken me about four or five days to recover from the weekend,” the inside centre said of the battering he took in the 34-16 loss in Cardiff.

“It was car-crash stuff on the weekend.

“I take anti-inflammatory medication before most games now just to reduce swelling in knees and ankles and so forth.

“It numbs most things during the game, but when the affect of that wears off.

“Usually the day after a game you feel alright, it’s the day after that, Monday or Tuesday, it’s pretty horrific!”

Asked whether he worried about his body, the 28-year-old said: “Yes, sometimes, but I have to enjoy the present, that’s what it’s about, I’ll worry about that when my career finishes.

“Certainly for the big games now I load up on a few drugs and that allows me to play on the weekends, so I’m pretty happy with that. Yeah, it’s tough but I’ll be 100 percent on Saturday.”

and he’s a Dr too!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How did Burgess play?

Secret hope that you have Burgess and Tuilaga in the centre with fast wings who can come inside and a fly half who knows how to coordinate this. Could just be the missing link to get England firing for WC15.

Strong pack, solid centres and finesse in the back three – and a kicker. Simple game really!!!

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, a doddle. Only we’ll have fazlet in the team and nobody outside of him will ever get the ball!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Has anyone read about the homophobic abuse that Nigel Owens received at Twickenham during the Eng v NZ game? I really hope that shit like this isn’t migrating from football terraces to rugby. I have to say, the cameras at both Twickenham and Millenium Stadium seem to have picked up on countless people in the crowd screaming abuse a reffing decisionsover the Autumn…..for me the big appeal of rugby, apart from the fact that I love the tactics of the game, is the mutual respect of players and crowd a like. Homophobic abuse, booing kickers etc all needs to naff off imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30254064

anagallis_arvensis

Come on Mr Baldwin, aim for Matfield get AWJ

anagallis_arvensis

Lacey being a bit rubbish.

Stoner
    Free Member

Tom, it was disgraceful. Can only hope it’s fairly isolated. N Owens gave the after dinner speech at my club dinner a few weeks ago. Funniest evening I’ve had for years and what an amazing singing voice he has. His stories about Austin Healey were hilarious.

Not one of his tales that night, but I ve heard he once admonished a hooker with the lovely put down : “I’m straighter than that line out”. Legend! 😀

Kryton57

England look a different team. Great shot of the Aussie coach losing his rag in the changing room. If England stay awake Aus look like they will fade – must apply pressure now and not leat an easy score in.

Kryton57

Aargh. Like I said…

anagallis_arvensis

I hate that. Makes my acl ache just watching. Hope he’s ok.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oof that replay of de Villiers knee makes me squirm. Not surprised he howled like that

anagallis_arvensis

Didnt see the replay, had my eyes shut.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

End of his career says orthopaedic wife.

The medical term used was he’s fu#k3d

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.