Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 3,879 total)
  • STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

Getting beaten by the best part of 20 points should be embarrassing, brave performance or not. The day Wales start accepting nothing but a victory might be the day they end 60+ years of choking against the ABs.

pk13

Ford has to start next week. Very poor overall. Well done Ireland.

anagallis_arvensis

Doof_doof. Chocking is whenbyou are the better side and lose. Wales had 15 player that could match the All Blacks. When Dane Coles tired Kevin Mealamu came on wales bough on Scot Baldwin, when Kaino tired Liam Messam came on Wales bought on an ineffective Tipuric and shunted the outstanding Warburton to 6 where he was much quieter. Thats the difference wales had 15 good players NZ had 23 outstanding ones.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The stats at HT were an obvious indicator of the final result. Wales had to (and did) work much, much harder to simply stay with the ABs. To their credit they did. But rugby is an 80 minute game. And that is why the AB are the best in the world at the moment. The other side has to work so much harder that the ABs will always have the superiority and mental and physical strength at the end – and as others have said a much better squad. Bringing on the B team players at the seemingly standard 60m doesn’t win matched, more often than bit it simply disturbs the rhythm etc.

Having said that these matches suggest that we should be on for a humdinger of a 6N. Even Scotland are upping their game. Ireland will have a lot of confidence and Wales and England just need to rid themselves of this self-imposed angst and simple play as they can do. Bring it on.

Good news is that the AB are peaking too early again!!!!!

Kryton57

The worrying thing is, the AB’s haven’t played all that well for this series. At least England have come out top of the home nations against them. [/troll]

Regardless of that, love this image and what it represents to our sport:

anagallis_arvensis

England pushed the all blacks because their bench isnt a huge drop off in quality like the welsh one is. Also the welsh lock pairing whilst being great at tackling rucking and general work rate are lacking at the lineout. Add Richie Grey or Lawes to that welsh team it would make a massive difference. Shame Ian Evans pissed off to Bristol as he’s Wales only good middle of the lineout jumper. Missing Ken Owens from the bench is a big loss too as Hibbards mad man act only lasts 50 mins.
    Glad to see Lydiate playing well again, although SBW did kind of play to his and Roberts strengths. Warburton has been outstanding in defeat v Aus and NZ, still rather have AW Jones as captain though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

While we’re still on this weekend’s details, just wtf were England doing playing in red? More marketing bullshit, clearly. Let’s leave that to soccer, shall we?

anagallis_arvensis

Hopefully the world cup group will be brilliant. If wales are picking from a fully fit squad they will really scare england who as these autumn tests show have a very over optimistic support/press who put the team under pressure.
    Ireland look red hot 6 nations favs atvthe moment a lot of good players and a very good coach.

anagallis_arvensis

Question for our resident ref. In the scotland game if a player knocked on and his team mate picked it up in front it was a pen. In the wales game it was a scrum. Who is correct? And do the refs tell the players beforehand or does it depend on how the ref feels that day? It could be an important decision by a player. When nz did it about 5 mins into the game you could hear Warbs ask for a pen and Barnes (who I thought was very good) responded no we’ll take a scrum. I reckon Sam was correct.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

The worrying thing is, the AB’s haven’t played all that well for this series. At least England have come out top of the home nations against them. [/troll]

Only cause we didn’t play them. NZ bosses reckoned it was too close last year 😀

How did the other home nations do against the big 3?

Seriously I’m really happy with where are at currently under Schmidt. You can see the development in our game and the structures he has put in place. We still have around 10 players to return from injury so it bodes well. We also have something you Welsh and English boys would love, a quality half back pairing. The best around currently.

Still work to be done on our set piece but that will improve.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

AA I always thought that was a pen

toys19
    Free Member

If wales are picking from a fully fit squad they will really scare england who as these autumn tests show have a very over optimistic support/press who put the team under pressure.

It was ever thus. Wales always do this looking shite in the autumn just so they can come back with vim and vigour in spring. I reckon Gatland does it on purpose..
    Lancaster could earn a thing or two from him.

Pigface
    Free Member

toys I think you are giving us too much credit 😆

bigblackshed

Another couple for our Resident Ref.

England game. Line out prior to Brown’s try at 45 minutes. England pack bind up for a maul but Samoa do not engage. Ball carrier is at the back. Is that not obstruction by England?

The “high” tackle that resulted in a yellow card. The tacklers arms were not around the neck or head, or wrapped over a shoulder. Why is that a high tackle? I heard Woodwood’s explanation but his opinion is even more one eyed than Andy Nichol’s.

wiggles
    Free Member

While we are asking questions…

In Wales v nz game nz had advantage and kicked the ball welsh player caught it so they came back for a pen. Then later Wales were playing the advantage kicked nz cathch and ref says advantage is over and nz play on.

Does it vary depending on what the pen/advantage is for?

anagallis_arvensis

Knock on advantages over after any kick it seems. Pen advantages only after a gainline break.

Kryton57

Ben Youngs dropped. Wow, what exactly did he do wrong?

Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone else get the impression that the england camp is not a happy one?

Could be just wishfull thinking 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Ben Youngs dropped. Wow, what exactly did he do wrong?

What makes you think BY has been dropped? He’s in the training squad as per the release today.
    Loose-head props
    Joe Marler (Harlequins)
    Matt Mullan (Wasps)

Tight-head props
    Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
    David Wilson (Bath Rugby)

Hookers
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
    Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)

Locks
    Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
    Graham Kitchener (Leicester Tigers)
    George Kruis (Saracens)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)

Back rows
    Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
    James Haskell (Wasps)
    Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
    Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, captain)
    Thomas Waldrom (Exeter Chiefs)
    Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

Scrum halves
    Danny Care (Harlequins)
    Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
    Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Outside backs
    Brad Barritt (Saracens)
    Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
    Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens)
    George Ford (Bath Rugby)
    Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints)
    Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Back threes
    Mike Brown (Harlequins)
    Alex Goode (Saracens)
    Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
    Semesa Rokoguduni (Bath Rugby)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
    Marland Yarde (Harlequins)

jambalaya
    Free Member

I wonder what the NZ result will do to Wales. Hard to imagine their confidence about being able to close out against a top side will have been done any favours. I was cheering for them to get the win but the line out failed at a crucial time and as others have posted the bench isn’t strong and at the end they where out of their feet as the ABs took it up a notch.

Didn’t watch England as had other plans, glad Ford seems to have done well. He must must start against Australia !

anagallis_arvensis

With Hibbard out for the SA match Baldwin best be practising his lineout chucking this week.

Kryton57

What makes you think BY has been dropped?

It was in the Sky Sports headline today along with Waldron’s call up, but I see its been amended now.

ads678

Tigers have confirmed the signing of Aaron Mauger as head coach next season! Amazing signing. God knows we need someone to tell the backs how to play again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BTW a colleague just got two tickets for Wales/Australia RWC group match as they came up on sale today for those that missed out first time

namastebuzz
    Free Member

didn’t watch England as had other plans,

You were lucky. They were terrible. Nearly 20pts up with half an hour to go and no more scores? If they play the first 15 minutes against the Aussies as they did on Saturday they’ll have already lost the match.

Mike Brown appears to have attended the Owen Farrell school of charm and graduated magna cum laude plus his ability to drop a pass in a try scoring position is improving steadily.

How on earth did Scotland get Vern Cotter? I know it’s early days but he could be the first coach in recent memory who’s reputation might be enhanced by coaching Scotland.

Why didn’t England get him???

wrecker
    Free Member

Tigers have confirmed the signing of Aaron Mauger as head coach next season!

Is that the end of cockers then?

his ability to drop a pass in a try scoring position is improving steadily.

😀

I have no idea why, but the form of far too many players is on the floor. Care lacks his usual edge, Brown is a shadow of himself, the normally dependent Wood is a liability, Billy V has gone missing and the less said about Farrell the better!

tinybits
    Free Member

Tigers have confirmed the signing of Aaron Mauger as head coach next season! Amazing signing. God knows we need someone to tell the backs how to play again.

That’s the best bit of news I’ve seen from Leicester in a long time!

Is that the end of cockers then?

I don’t think so, Cockers is the DoR, and Mauger would replace Matt O’Conner who went to coach Leinster. Mauger was bloody excellent for Leicester when himself and Murphy were taking care of coaching the backs. Crusaders don’t look too shabby either!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Lancaster covers both briefs, revealing recently that he spends 40 per cent of his time on media and commercial duties, another 40 per cent on other management matters, and 20 per cent on coaching itself.

Mentioned in a telegraph article. Think how good we’d be if it was 100%! 😯

Nobby

The “high” tackle that resulted in a yellow card. The tacklers arms were not around the neck or head, or wrapped over a shoulder. Why is that a high tackle? I heard Woodwood’s explanation but his opinion is even more one eyed than Andy Nichol’s.

Don’t know what the TV coverage said but it was called as ‘dangerous play’ which has a wide definition these days. He did go to the video ref for confirmation before showing the card. The tackle itself was heard from some distance away too. 😯

Rule 10.4

BlindMelon
    Free Member

It was high because his shoulder hit Fords chin and he made no attempt to wrap his arms around him.

toys19
    Free Member

Good news for England fans everywhere, Farrell has been benched in favour of Ford & 36. I have long waited for this day. (Well it would be better if he had been sent home but it is a start.)

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/24/owen-farrell-dropped-england-billy-twelvetrees-george-ford-rugby

Kryton57

Whoop! Whoop!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yay…..36 is just what we need! Jebus!

anagallis_arvensis

Its not quite deck chairs and Titanic as they are all good players but I dont see any of them taking England to the next level. What did that big fast centre from Northampton do to get dropped, him at 13 Barritt at 12 and healing vibes/prayers to Tuilagi would be my thoughts. Seems odd that Eastmond showed some nice touches was given a couple of games and then sent packing. It seems to be an england problem that they have too many good players and cannot decide on their best ones, although the pack has a nice settled strong look.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yay…..36 is just what we need! Jebus!

I’m really not a fan of twelvetrees but he’s the best of a bad bunch at the moment.
    Who’s at OC? Please tell me it’s Burrell.
    I wouldn’t select Eastmond AND ford, it’s one of the other IMHO. They are both around 13st, it’s too much of a gaping hole.

Australia will be without their injured centre Tevita Kuridrani

At last some good news.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent news and long overdue.

@aa Tuilagi will be back, he’s a threat to any team.

Kryton57

What did that big fast centre from Northampton do to get dropped,

Hand injury – but he’s available now so I’m not sure why Lancaster isn’t playing him as this is a “must win” game. He’s big, he’s fast and he scores – ??

tinybits
    Free Member

What did that big fast centre from Northampton do to get dropped, him at 13 Barritt at 12

Except that Burrel is a 12 and Barritt is a 13. Shame as Burrel is by far the better player and is going back to his club again, while we see Barritt playng out of position and failing to get a pass away again!

Eastmond showed some nice touches was given a couple of games and then sent packing.

Wasn’t it concussion? edit: Turns out it’s not, was in the training camp.

Interestingly from a Tigers perspective, 12T was sold on from Leicester as he was never going to get game time against Flood and Ford. Then Ford moved on from Leicester while Flood went to France and suddenly we see what could have been an all leicester 9,10, 12 & 13 (if Tuilagi was fit), yet Leicester couldn’t conjour up some good attacking back play if they were playing against the local under 5’s tag rugby team!

anagallis_arvensis

Except that Burrel is a 12 and Barritt is a 13

Funny because Barritt has played with Tuilagi before is Tuilagi a 12? and Burrel played at 13 last six nations. Neither look especially wedded to either 12 or 13 to me

anagallis_arvensis

Eastmond played for Bath last sat, maybe he wanted to play outside the great Gav instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 3,879 total)

The topic ‘STW 2014/15 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.