Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sturmey Archer hubs on a MTB
  • flashes
    Free Member

Does anyone use SA hubs on their MTB. I have SS and fixed but thinking a few gears could make getting to trails less spinny….the bike would be used for tow paths, woodland trails as opposed to really rarr muddy MTBing (I have other bikes for that)……

miketually
    Free Member

There’s a relatively recent thread on here that had lots of good contributions. Have a search.

flashes
    Free Member

Thank you. but I can’t find it? Can you remember the thread title??

ndthornton
    Free Member

If they are anywhere near as good as the Shimano Alfine they will be great. Iv been running one of them for ages on many different bikes including a full-suss

otsdr
    Free Member

I haven’t had the opportunity to ride a “proper” IGH (Alfine, Rohloff) only had a Nexus 3 and currently a 3 speed Sturmey Archer on commuter bikes.
    Both were kind of meh – some slop in the power delivery (would only expect this to get worse as you stack up planetary gears), overall feeling of fragility especially when shifting.
    Wouldn’t use any of these two on a MTB.

trail_rat
    Free Member

power delivery slop yes

pedaling through porridge drag that comes with the alfine and rohloff (that i have both of as well) no.

I am fitting a 3speed cassette hub to my xtracycle for a bit of extra gear range as with the motor on im limited to a single front 36tooth ring for climbing up hills – this means my top end us low as hell.

will let you know how i get on 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sturmey Archer hubs on a MTB’ is closed to new replies.