Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sturmey Archer 3 or 5 speed hubs
  • grantus
    Free Member

So the Alfine hub seems to be fairly popular but I haven’t seen much, if anything about SA gear. Is it because it’s unsuitable for offroad riding?

Just thinking because an 8 speed alfine is around 1.6kg whereas the SA is around 1kg, IIRC?

Any users?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Having owned a few SA hubs, and seviced far more, I’d say they’d be fine for offroad use.

‘Course, this depends on your definition of offroad use: towpaths, fireroads and singletrack where you keep your wheels planted would be alright; I’d be a little more cautious before recommending a coaster-braked 3-speed for slopestyle.

Lack of disc mounting and the way that mud can easily get into the internals probably puts most folk off.

DaRC_L

Just finished the build and shakedown of my 3 speed DISC SA MTB bike 🙂
    It’s been running fine – I took it for a hike/bike round the local mudfest that is Wolstonbury and it’s been running fine.

I like the 3 gears and it’s perfectly suitable for off-road riding.

So my Fuquay frame now has disk mounts (courtesy of Dave Yates) and the 3 spped SA DISK hub, it’s a true mud-Fuq’er…
    ooops I’ll stop now I’m starting to evangelise

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grantus
    Free Member

Nice one.

I was thinking about it for a singlecross – having the current flip flop wheel for double fixed and a separate wheel for a 3 or 5 speed freewheel.

Reckon it could be a relatively cheap way of having the one bike do fixed for road and hub geared for longer distance hill road rides and also mild offroad and cross riding

Any chance of a pic of your bike mate?

Not sure if i’d stick it on the hardtail as some riding can lead to hub deep bog trotting although I still run V brakes so no disc option wouldn’t be a problem for me.

Thanks

simon1975

I’ve got a SA 3 speed hub and shifter somewhere – free to collect from Nottingham! I should put it on the classifieds really I guess. Don’t want any money for it. Actually I don’t even know if it works!

DaRC_L

hmmm pics I’ve got one on my phone but adding it a thread would – well tonight is boys night, then I’d need to set up an account to host it

or you could send your email addy to my email addy (in profile) and I’ll send it over.

grantus
    Free Member

Bugger! Up in Central Scotland!

sobriety
    Free Member

Simon, i’m about to get an old 3 speed SA racing bike, so your hub would be really useful for spares, as a bonus, i’m in nottingham too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sturmey Archer 3 or 5 speed hubs’ is closed to new replies.