Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sturdy Archer
  • tails
    Free Member

Is it fit and forgot? I’m looking at buying a paddywagon 3 This one

Think I’d like a bigger chainring and a basket or bag on the handlebars. Are there any similar bikes, surly cross check but it’s more money.

the00
    Free Member

I find Sturmey Archer pretty reliable, but their shifting quality isn’t great, so they’re much more suited to pooling rather than blasting.

The Kona looks nice, and the downtube shifter is probably a good idea.

kormoran
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

😆

tails
    Free Member

Haha! Oh dear my auto correct worked a treat there. I like the down tube shifters as it keeps the bars clear for a basket

the00
    Free Member

Curly bars also keep basket and grips/shift apart.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’ve got about 4000ish miles on one on my commute/general purpose road bike.

I swapped mine to running on oil and that’s it. been faultless. a slight ticking as you ride depending on gear you’re in. You need to back the load off to change down which is awkward but fine once you get used to it.

Done a couple of dunwich dynamoes and plenty of bad weather commutes.

i use drop bars and bar end shifter. You can honk out the saddle no problem and load it up fine. Plus sunrace improved the design to get rid of the old slip gear, they’re not like they used to be (in a good way).

finbar
    Free Member

Thread hijack, but I’ve got one of these I need to sell (with a ‘Sturdy’ Archer 5-speed hub 😉 ). It’s a medium which according to Cooper is a 57cm frame, but it’s quite upright so fits smaller than that suggests.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cooper-bikes-reims-2014-road-bike-EV158551

I’d be after £350 or so.

epicyclo

tails – Member
    Is it fit and forgot? I’m looking at buying a paddywagon 3 This one

Lovely looking bike in decent steel. Pretty lugged fork. It’s like an upmarket Pompino (that’s a compliment).

Perfect spec, the 3 speed hub is brilliant. Any shifting problems come down to poor cables, or maladjustment – it is critical to adjust them to the mark, and not to twiddle the adjustment until it “feels” right.

I must say I’d be tempted by Finbar’s bike too, but I am under a self imposed one in, one out, and I haven’t got round to the out bit yet. 🙂

tails
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m getting rid of my road bike as I don’t get on with drop bars.

Is Sturmey Archer better than the opposition like nexus and the hub gears SRAM make? I’m not really up on my bike knowledge at the moment.

I know absolutely zero about hub gears so any adjustments I make will be via YouTube videos, although I have got a fair few tools.

epicyclo

tails – Member
    …Is Sturmey Archer better than the opposition like nexus and the hub gears SRAM make? I’m not really up on my bike knowledge at the moment…

The Sturmey-Archer has a potential life of over 80 years if the examples I have are anything to go by, so yes.

SRAM is getting out of the hubgear market. Shimano stuff is good but disposable, no small parts.

convert

The Sturmey-Archer has a potential life of over 80 years if the examples I have are anything to go by, so yes.

Alas Sturmey Archer is the same company in only name these days. The brand name was sold to a Taiwanese company in 2000 so any experience of component longevity derived from lump of British steel forged before that are not too relevant.

epicyclo

convert – Member
    Alas Sturmey Archer is the same company in only name these days. The brand name was sold to a Taiwanese company in 2000 so any experience of component longevity derived from lump of British steel forged before that are not too relevant.

I have current Sturmey-Archer hubs, and if anything the quality is better. The shifting is slicker too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sturdy Archer’ is closed to new replies.