Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • stupidly challenging physical events (with no practice)
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

For some strange unbeknown reason on Saturday night i decided to run a marathon. I got a map out and planned a 26 mile route starting at my dads house in hebden bridge and going up over to Studly Pike around a big loop and back. I'm planning to do it on tuesday this week. The stupid thing is the most I have ever run is 10km before and that was at the Alice whatsit's run last year. Since then I have run round the school football fields a few times.
    what are the chances of me killing myself and is it just me who does stupid stuff like this?

a diagnosis for my condition would be appreciated

meikle_partans
    Free Member

yes it is just you
    you are a hero
    thankyou for opening our eyes to the craziness that is possible when you step outside the box

big-chief-96
    Free Member

i'm glad i helped you out

iDave
    Free Member

nice one. thing like that are life affirming

little tip – wool sports socks and you don't need to be good at running, just good at not stopping

big-chief-96
    Free Member

just socks then? it'll be a bit chilly 😯

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

My first ever bike event was a 24 hour solo race. I signed up while in casualty waiting for the x-rays on my wrist. 8 weeks for the cast to come off, 8 weeks to the race. Equally stupid but nice to look back on.

Go for it!

SirJonLordofBike1
    Free Member

lol brilliant, I'd be interested in how you get on with that, entering a marathon sounds like a hassle nevermind the training – not sure it's safe though? anyway if you do goodluck & let us know what happens mate

IanMunro
    Free Member

You'll be fine!
    Looking forward to the report on tues.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

i'll have pics as well hopefully. 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

If you take your time and even run/walk you might be alright.

I bet you could do it but it will be tough and you risk injury.

Was running 10 miles no prob but to go to 20 miles without training would hurt or risk a pull.

Wait till you can 15 miles no prob.

iDave
    Free Member

the first time i ran half marathon distance, i kept going, then reached marathon distance and kept going – 100km total.

these things can be done if you want to do them

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Go for it. I love doing stuff like that. It makes life fun.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

the aim is to keep running…. i'm not fussed about the time as long as it's not ridiculous

zaskar
    Free Member

Then fuel up and take your time and enjoy.

higgo
    Free Member

This may or may not help….

A long time ago I used to run twice a week, a two mile loop round the park opposite my house.

Then, a week before a half marathon he'd entered, my brother stuffed a mountain bike impaling himself on the brake lever. He was OK but in no state to run so I stepped in at the last minute.

I ran the whole thing. Slowly, but I ran it. The next day I was in agony. The day after it was worse. But I was glad I did it.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Go for it.
    Years ago I went out a did a half marathon, just cos.
    Still rememeber it foundly.
    Take a before and an after picture and post 'em.
    And good luck

bigrich

take sugar. lots and lots of sugar.

turboferret

Training will make you faster, but will be more evident in the recovery. I'm sure you'll manage your 26 miles, but I can guarantee that walking down stairs for a few days afterwards will be a challenge 😆

Good luck and enjoy 🙂

Cheers, Rich

hora
    Free Member

10km to 26miles? Take your mobile or some money for a taxi.

juan
    Free Member

Someone managed to finish the trans under the 12 hours mark after just one month doing mtb O8
    Mind you, he use to be a tri-athlete.

ojom
    Free Member

What Hora says.

uplink
    Free Member

Just go for it & see what happens
    There is a chance that you'll be fine[ish], there's also a chance that at some point during the run your legs will totally stop working & you'll have to get someone to get you home

Whatever happens – it's going to hurt somewhat tomorrow 🙂

crazy-legs

I'm not sure whether this counts as "stupidly challenging" or not but many years ago I did the Dunwich Dynamo for the first time (a 200km night ride from London out to the Suffolk coast, all on road) and the furthest I'd ever ridden up til then was about 35 miles. Fitted slicks to my MTB and just did it.

My knee was agony for the next 2 weeks. 🙁

Good luck with the marathon!

higgo
    Free Member

I'm not sure whether this counts as "stupidly challenging" or not but many years ago I did the Dunwich Dynamo for the first time (a 200km night ride from London out to the Suffolk coast, all on road) and the furthest I'd ever ridden up til then was about 35 miles. Fitted slicks to my MTB and just did it.

Reminds me of the time I signed up for a charity Bath to London charity ride. Signed up in the pub on Friday night, fitted slicks to the Lavadome on Saturday, realised on Saturday night that the only way to get to the start was to ride (from Bristol) so got up early and rode from Bristol to Bath and then on to London.

Didn't sit down for a week.

higgo
    Free Member

For some strange unbeknown reason on Saturday night i decided to run a marathon. I got a map out and planned a 26 mile route starting at my dads house in hebden bridge and going up over to Studly Pike around a big loop and back.

Another way to do it would be to get someone to drop you off 26.2 miles from home.

mrh86

I typically run about 12 -15 miles each week. 3 x (4 or 5 miles runs). Have done for the past 2 years. Last May, i decided to enter a half marathon which was due to take place at the end of august. Started training a bit for it, by having one long run on a sunday. Increasing the distance a mile or so each week. Prob did about 6 sundays worth of running. 10 days before the event did my last long run; Did 15 miles, and due to increasing the distance got plantar fasciitis. Couldnt do the event in that end.

Be careful when youre doing it, if things really start to hurt dont pusy yourself otherwise you'll just pull/strain something.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

My brother ran the yorks 3 peaks a couple of weeks ago, the most he had done before was a 10 mile road run. He did it in 6 hours but lost both big toe nails in the process and is still having difficulty walking.

You'll be fine but probably won't enjoy the last 60% of it.

finbar
    Free Member

I ran the White Peak marathon a fortnight ago. I've been having problems with my joints since January so have probably averaged 5 miles/week all year. Still managed to bust out a 3h10min which i was pretty happy with.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

If Eddie Izard can run round the country having never completed a marathon distance run before, then anythings possible.

iDave
    Free Member

you can pretty much do anything once

if apocalyptic war broke out and you had to get to the last boat out, and it was 26.2 miles away, and leaving in 5 hours, i think we'd all be able to run a marathon

good luck, expect it to hurt, but remember the pain is just your brain lying to you – your legs are fine

hora
    Free Member

if apocalyptic war broke out and you had to get to the last boat out, and it was 26.2 miles away, and leaving in 5 hours, i think we'd all be able to run a marathon

No I would stay and sire many many children with the women that were left behind.

hora
    Free Member

No I would stay and sire many many children with the women that were left behind.

On reflection, considering my recent experiences of fatherhood I will get round the remaining females quicktime then leg the 26miles down to the last boat in 1hr30min.

Absolutely no way would I hang round for a babyboom and the ensuing crying.

steve-g
    Free Member

At best you will hurt for a few days, at worst you will hurt for months, either way it will be worth it

Lazgoat
    Free Member

ha ha , oh the pain! I've never done anything like this and probably won't either, bad back and knees.
    Try and remember how good it feels to be normal and pain free now because it'll be a world of pain afterwards.
    Good luck though.

higgo
    Free Member

I'm planning to do it on tuesday this week.

Well?

DezB
    Free Member

Bloke called Eddie Izzard did something similar. Then he did a few more afterwards IIRC.

sor
    Free Member

This is Tuesday already? Ruddy 'eck, bloody Bank Holiday's buggering around with the week. Mutter, ramble ramble, mumble.

Anyway, yes, let's know how you got on!

The fact that others do things like this helps me believe that I will be able to one day. (I'm not the healthiest or fittest person in my postcode. But I am dragging myself back up to an acceptable level after health scares, and so have signed myself up to do both the Glasgow half-marathon and the Pedal for Scotland 100-mile Sportive thing in September as motivations. and yes, from where I'm sat, I need the time to prepare.)

taka
    Free Member

he has 3km to go and running down Cragg Vale now i had to leave him at the 30k mark because it went onto footpaths

hora
    Free Member

Serious? Way to go! 😀

taka, on Sunday I accidently stumbled on an amazing footpath off Great Rock- between two close drystone walls…. 😉

taka
    Free Member

i did go on one footpath coming down from stoodly pike towards the reservoir

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘stupidly challenging physical events (with no practice)’ is closed to new replies.