Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stupidly annoying computer stuff
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Why the F do we have a num lock key? Who on EARTH uses the keypad as cursor keys? Just make them numbers and be done with it. Grr

DaveP

I do, the cursor keys on our laptop are broken

cranberry
    Free Member

Case solved.

Sundayjumper

Your password will expire in 14 days, do you want to change it now ?

No, I’ll change it in 14 days’ time, thanks.

DezB
    Free Member

Trying to select characters to edit a word on an iPad is the most frustrating thing in the universe.

johndoh
    Free Member

A keyboard key to switch off wifi (with a very dim light to say it has been activated).

Even the tame IT guy at work was perplexed for a while as he tried all sorts to make it come back on.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I can’t see any rhyme or reason in how the ‘Save as’ dialog is supposed to work on Word 2013/Windows 10. If there’s a relationship between the options presented and what happens when you choose them I can’t see what it is.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A keyboard key to switch off wifi (with a very dim light to say it has been activated).

Even the tame IT guy at work was perplexed for a while as he tried all sorts to make it come back on.

Ha, a while ago a couple of us spent an hour trying to figure out why we couldn’t get a laptop to connect to WiFi. Little switch on the lip under the keyboard. Obvs.

Northwind

My boss had that too, we all took the piss while secretly going “holy shit, there’s a wifi button, better remember that”. (my new laptop has it as a keyboard shortcut, mental)

jam-bo

I currently have a powered USB hub that stops me from bootloading a new firmware into an instrument.

If the hub is plugged in and the instrument is plugged in via the hub, it works.
    If the hub is plugged in and the instrument is plugged directly into the PC it doesnt work.
    If the hub isnt plugged in and the instrument is plugged directly into the PC it works.

None of this applies to the other PC I have on my desk…

the hub is about to get launched out the window and into the river.

enfht
    Free Member

Users.

molgrips
    Free Member

with a very dim light to say it has been activated

No lights at all on this Lenovo, apart from power. No HD light,and it’s SSD so no clues at all if it’s doing anything if it’s not responding. Aforementioned num lock doesn’t have a light either.

ChrisL

molgrips – Member
    Why the F do we have a num lock key? Who on EARTH uses the keypad as cursor keys? Just make them numbers and be done with it. Grr

I used the numeric pad as cursor keys in ’93 – ’95 as it was the best way to move units in the original Civilization computer game. Since then, I’m not sure I’ve used it much, but it was only 21 years ago, you don’t expect these things to change overnight, do you?

onehundredthidiot

The save button on word, that brings up a dialogue box telling me that due to…. I can’t save, followed by another saying the same, then the save box allowing me to save.

Just why?

seosamh77
    Free Member

People are the things that annoy me most about computers.

v8ninety

The way that the curser vanishes half way through typing each of the six or seven usernames and passwords that I need to input to start work in the morning, without any obvious reason. As if the six or seven usernames and passwords aren’t annoying enough 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

No F-keys on my chromebook so cant lock $ references in the spreadsheet.

Fortunately my chromebox has a standard desktop keyboard in the office.

scratch that, Ive found a setting that must have been rolled out in an update to allow the use of top row keys as F keys

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Do you work on a help desk?

seosamh77
    Free Member

scholarsgate – Member

Do you work on a help desk?Feels like it at times.

sirromj

PRINTERS.

Edit: sorry thought it was the ‘massively rage inducing computer stuff’ thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’ve used it much, but it was only 21 years ago

😆

jimdubleyou

IBM not supporting iSeries ODBC drivers on Windows 10 is going to be annoying in the near future.

Back in everybody else’s world – the slow creep of the Windows directory on any PC. Currently 48GB on my work PC.

I mean, what the actual f is in there*?

*I can’t be bothered to look.

verses

The IPMI interface for one of my servers keeps disabling Num Lock on my PC. The fact I haven’t resorted to massacring everyone nearby should be rewarded with some kind of peace prize.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Temp files, try cleaning them out once in a while 😉

jimdubleyou

Temp files, try cleaning them out once in a while

It’s supposed to be managed!

Ran Windows clean up the other day. Got a whole 3GB back, which will sort me out until the next Patch Tuesday…

molgrips
    Free Member

Currently 48GB on my work PC.

Much of that is the infamous winxs directory, but that actually contains hard links to other files, so it takes up lots of space but also doesn’t. I have no idea whether or not it counts when the disk gets full.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stupidly annoying computer stuff’ is closed to new replies.