Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Stupidest thing you've fallen out with a "friend" over?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Need some cheering up right now… Bit upset, not exactly surprised though truth be told, but apparently I’m not even worth £100 to one person as a friend any more! Stupid story, which you don’t need to know the ins and outs of, but I have been nothing if not totally reasonable to try and resolve the situation, but apparently it wasn’t good enough!

You live and learn though eh, and it’s just reinforced to me exactly why my very bestest mate is exactly that, cos we’d always be there for each other no matter what, and we will fall out about silly things all the time but have forgotten about it 5 minutes later!

Jamie
    Free Member

Least it’s taken your mind off riding 100 miles, eh?

djglover
    Free Member

Raise a £ a mile sponsorship? I’ve lost mates over less money tbh.

mboy
    Free Member

Least it’s taken your mind off riding 100 miles, eh?

😆

92 fella, 92… 😉

Odd world, but when I look back, over the last 18 months he’s only contacted me if I could do anything for him since he moved away. I’d defended him numerous times to other people when they told me to watch out cos he’s known for turning on friends in the past too, feel a bit silly now!

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re life seems so complicated, mate. STW is like your own personal agony aunt 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was on a camping weekend with a mate. In the pub, ugly girl walks in, I say “you fancy her”.

Didn’t hear from him after the weekend!

mboy
    Free Member

You’re life seems so complicated, mate. STW is like your own personal agony aunt

Yes/no/maybe

But everyone I actually know who will entertain me for a bit has been tucked up in bed for an hour or more! 😉

Definitely thinking that early 30’s as a single man, with no real commitments, is an odd experience considering all my peers are coupled up and/or married and/or have kids!

I was on a camping weekend with a mate. In the pub, ugly girl walks in, I say “you fancy her”.

Didn’t hear from him after the weekend!

Recently or pre-Facebook? Guessing there might well be some very ugly children involved by now! 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

17 years ago!

mboy – Member

Definitely thinking that early 30’s as a single man, with no real commitments, is an odd experience considering all my peers are coupled up and/or married and/or have kids!

try it in 10 years…

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re never in your 40s, Al? You read so much younger 8)

bwaarp
    Free Member

Well technically you are at your most desirable at this age – if you have a half decent job and hair anyway.

So chin up, shag everything that moves and then settle down with the most intelligent, nicest and most attractive girl you find.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    You’re never in your 40s, Al? You read so much younger

thanks. to think some call me immature!

Jamie
    Free Member

immature

Shit. That was the word I should have used.

mboy
    Free Member

Well technically you are at your most desirable at this age – if you have a half decent job and hair anyway.

I’m not so worried right now, more confused by how friendships seemingly become worthless when one party’s life starts to follow a different path to your own. I’ve still got my hair (so did my Grandad when he died at 75, my Dad’s 58 now with a full head of it), and now have a part time job in a Bike Shop too! So win/win I’d say!!! :-p

So chin up, shag everything that moves and then settle down with the most intelligent, nicest and most attractive model you find.

Hehe. Already one step ahead of ya… 😉

grum
    Free Member

You ask people to pay £100 to be friends with you?

cloudnine
    Free Member

You ask people to pay £100 to be friends with you?

man whore?? The bike shop job is just a cover then??

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mboy, did you go to university? If not, I think you should whilst you can – you’ll stand a better changes of getting a full time job after and you could potentially date girls a decade younger than you. :mrgreen:

Then your married friends would be jealous.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

^^^^^ This is a good idea.

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy, did you go to university? If not, I think you should whilst you can – you’ll stand a better changes of getting a full time job after and you could potentially date girls a decade younger than you.

Hehehehehe

REALLY made me laugh this one, cheers!

The irony is I’m currently back at uni part time, just going into my 2nd year, and it’s Fresher’s week this week! 😉

Properly funny thread, cheers guys, you’ve definitely cheered me up! 😆

Pook

I may be wrong….but have you borrowed £100 from your friend?

zokes
    Free Member

And have you been slow in paying it back, perhaps buying other “more important” things first?

Only I used to have a couple of ‘friends’ like that also….

Klunk
    Free Member

I shot my best mate, which was pretty stupid.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I once fell out with a mate over where we were going to eat breakfast on Saturday morning. He wanted greasy spoon (and I mean seriously greasy) and I wanted an upmarket cafe bar breakfast.

We wandered up and down Upper Street in Islington arguing about it for 40 minutes before he lost it and flounced off. I didn’t see or speak to him for three years but then I bumped into him on the tube (at Angel Islington coincidentally) and we’ve been mates again ever since.

What I learned from that experience is the thing that you seem to fall out over is not the thing that breaks up the friendship.

We were only a few years out of Uni where we’d met, and having very different experiences. I’d managed to get a decent job, he had been looking for almost two years. That was the strain on the friendship; my wanting upmarket breakfast and him wanted cheap and nasty was symbolic of the problem.

Once we were both in better places, it came back together again. I hope it does for you also Mboy.

nbt

Ten years ago I married Mrs NBT. I’d proposed while we were on holiday (skiing) and spent some time thinking about who I would choose as my best man. I’d got three close friends and chose Mate “A” to be the best man.

Mate “A” was on the same trip, so I asked him before we went home and he was chuffed and said he’d be delighted

When we got home, I rang Mates “B” and “C” with the good news that I’d proposed and she’d said yes, and told them that I’d considered them as Best Man but had chosen Mate “A”. Both seemed really pleased for me.

About half an hour after getting off the phone, Mate “C” called back and said that he’d been thinking and actually he wasn’t happy. I’d been his Best Man (in truth I was terrible at it) and was godfather to his son, so it was only fair that he should be my Best Man, and if he wasn’t, he wouldn’t be coming to the wedding. I wasn’t rude or anything, but I did tell him that my decision had been made, and that his place at the wedding would be open no matter what, but I haven’t seen or spoken to him since that day.

In time I came to suspect it was his wife who’d been doing the thinking, and I maybe handled it badly in telling him over the phone rather than face to face, but at the end of the day you pick the best man to be Best Man, and I’ve never had a moment’s regret about that

Dickyboy

If it helps any I am still working through the s**t that is being propositioned to by your best mates fiancee whilst he was in hospital recovering from a seriously accident, just wish I’d been on STW when it happened, as the unfolding story was monumental 😯

Edit: – just seen the best man bit above, I was supposed to be best man to above mate too…..

zokes
    Free Member

If it helps any I am still working through the s**t that is being propositioned to by your best mates fiancee whilst he was in hospital recovering from a seriously accident, just wish I’d been on STW when it happened, as the unfolding story was monumental

Do tell…

Dickyboy

Do tell…

sorry water under the bridge now, but I am the only best man I know who hasn’t been told the date for the wedding until after the occasion – & there was me thinking I held the trump card 👿

samuri
    Free Member

For the OP, did this story involve money lending in some way?

I would never, ever lend money to a friend. Never. It will always end in tears. To be honest I’d always be extremely reluctant to lend money to a family member too. I’d rather just give them the money if they need it.

For info, my wife has no such qualms and at one point I reckon her family were around 8 grand in debt to us. Two of them died without paying the money back and the remainder have been extremely slow to repay. I bet we’ll never see what they owe us. The whole situation has ensured that I simply don’t trust most of her family and regard them all with a high degree of suspicion. This obviously cause issues when we meet up.

As I say, it always causes problems.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Or sold him some brakes?

zokes
    Free Member

Or sold him some brakes?

Nah, only ‘realmen’ do that 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

but I am the only best man I know who hasn’t been told the date for the wedding until after the occasion

Ah come on, that sounds like just the kind of story that should be shared on STW.

If it helps, I was once re-acquainted with a girl roughly my age who was the daughter of a very old family friend. We had played together to the age of three then they moved away. I was reintroduced to her when we were both in our mid 20s. She was engaged, I was young, single and thrusting.

Long story short, she called off the wedding, we did a lot of ‘thrusting’ it fizzled out, she got back with him, my parents, brother and I went to the wedding, my brother had a field day with jokes about ‘all those who haven’t shagged the bride take one step back. Er, where are you going geetee?’

Her mum knew, her sister knew, my family knew, her friends knew….

I think the only person who didn’t know was her husband. Who in truth was a very nice chap and really didn’t deserve to have had that happen to him <hangs head in shame> 😳

Six years later they divorced and I was the first person she called on for some more casual ‘thrusting’…..

Have I over shared?

simmy
    Free Member

If my best mate is struggling for money, i find him some work to do on my house, that way hes paid for the work and no lending involved.

Think he will suss it out one day 😛

I once lent a friend some money to get some wheels for her car and it really annoyed me when i had to ask for it back rather than her offering it back.

franksinatra

When I was 13 I fell out with my best mate over who got to sit on the front seat on the bus to school.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Surely the answer to every disagreement is either money or women isn’t it?

or bus seats if you’re 13!

binners

Dear god. This sounds like a bunch of girls, bitching in a sixth form common room. You bunch of fannies!

“so she said to him…… and then she said to me……”

I periodically fall out with with my best mates in a fashion that can only be described as volcanic. Our relationship, since we were at primary school, has always been based on epic piss-taking, and the pulling of some right borderline evil stunts on each other.

At regular intervals this predictably gets out of hand. Normally after a few ales. Proper standing up shouting matches,questioning each others parentage, sexuality and partners fidelity. And often involving being physically restrained from punching each other.

Its all forgotten about immediately, when we’ve calmed down, as pretty much par for the course. With the usual line ‘Wind your neck in and give us a hug you ****ing big daft ****!’

MTFU! And sort your priorities out! 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was about 6 or 7 I had a great friend, one of the very few people I really got on with and had a nice relationship with. She was a massive tomboy, which was fine as we’d play soliders and fighting and the like. One game was slow-mo fights, you know what I am talking about.. as we got better at it they sped up, until one time I accidentally connected, although pretty lightly since we weren’t trying.

She got really upset and never spoke to me again. This made me very sad.. I didn’t have any other friends either.

druidh
    Free Member

STW

yossarian
    Free Member

I fell out with a riding buddy and very good friend a few years back. He took offence at a comment I made on here about a new bike I’d got. He interpreted what I said as being criticism of him and took it upon himself to email a number of other people I rode with to expose me. Apart from being a bolt out of the blue, it really soured my riding for quite a while. It took me a while to realise that actually he was pissed off that I was riding with other people more than him, had got a good job (he’d just lost another one), bought a house and had a child. Kind of understandable I guess, we all get envious of people from time to time and it manifests itself in different ways.

bwaarp
    Free Member

My brother seriously pissed off one of his good mates once by riding his mates 250cc scooter off a BMX dirtjump and snapping it in half….

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

When I was eight, my best friend was a girl at school, who had just about turned 9. We even had a kiss on the back row of the classroom
    I couldn’t resist the aroma of her perfume. In fact, we were inseparable, it was love at first sight.
    She even made me promise to marry her. I made her promise to be my bride.

Then I had a fight in the playground with some good looking boys that had started to hang around.
    She cried, and that’s the first time I saw a new distant look in her eyes.
    Anyway, that was pretty much the end of the friendship. I couldn’t hold on to my love, I couldn’t hold on to my dream.

Jumping forward several years, just walking down the street, i saw her. My heart began to beat so fast, so clear was my memory.
    I heard my voice call out her name name as she looked, but then looked away.

She didn’t even remember me, did she!

d45yth
    Free Member

Geetee – Did you not think you would’ve been better not going to that wedding? Rubbing someones nose in it without them even knowing is a dispicable thing to do, especially on an occasion like that. I’m surprised you never got lynched!
    I know of a similar tale where the wedding was called off, a big fight broke out and the bride tried to gas herself in her car!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Stupidest thing you've fallen out with a "friend" over?’ is closed to new replies.