Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stupid tyres question
  • DrJ

I have an old city bike with 26 x 1 3/8 tyres on it. Looking to buy new tyres on wiggle, all I see are metric sizes (700mm). Is 700mm equivalent to 26″, or do I have to find a shop selling old tyres?

Thanks ….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

26″ still exists somewhere, try under mountain bike

njee20
    Free Member

Different 26″.

Look at the ETRTO number on the side of your tyre. It’ll be something like 30-570 where the first number is the width of the tyre, and the second is the circumference (?). It’s the only standard measurement. 559mm is standard 26″ for MTB, you probably have nominal 26″ which is slightly bigger iirc. Road 700c/29ers are 622mm.

Schwalbe do tyres in virtually all the older sizes, think its the Land Cruiser, you may be best going into your LBS and checking you order the right thing.

mtbfix

Think you’ll be looking for 590 as the metric measurement. A bike shop will probably have stock as this is a size associated with older roadsters and probably not something that Wiggle, CRC would be interested in.

davidjohn
    Free Member

700 is normal road bike size tires and 26 is normal mountain bike size tires.. They are different sizes.

DJ

njee20
    Free Member

Mtbfix +1, 590 sounds right. Aah, that takes me back!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Any half decent shop will have them in stock, but don’t be sold something like 26×1.5 or whatever as a similar replacement as they won’t fit for the reasons stated above. They’re cheap though, less than £10 each usually.

njee20
    Free Member

Just check the ETRTO to be sure, even 26×1 3/8 isn’t standard, there’s more than one, and none of them are the same as an MTB ’26×1.5″‘ type sizing.

DrJ

Uff – complicated 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not really, just ignore the people telling you 26″ is 26″, it’s not. Look for the ETRTO number on your tyre (it will almost certainly be 34-590), go to the LBS and buy an equivalent tyre, or get them to order one from Fisher.

PaulD
    Free Member

Helfrauds have what you want.

PaulD

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I can get them if you need one, about £8 iirc

DrJ

Thanks for the help – STW always comes up trumps!!

Some background – it is not actually my bike, it belongs to a friend here in Copenhagen and she was quoted the best part of a hundred quid (yes, you read that correctly) to replace the tyres and tubes. I was shocked and appalled by that , and told her it was a moral crime, so volunteered to do it myself. Now I have to follow through … 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member
    alfabus
    Free Member

26 x 1 3/8″ are not too hard to find…. i’ve got a bike with 24 x 1 3/8″ tyres – now they are hard to get!

Dave

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stupid tyres question’ is closed to new replies.