Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stupid Stocks and Shares ISA Question
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

New to this, so please forgive my ignorance! I’ve tried looking on the internet, I think I know the answer, but I just need to be sure I’ve got this right.

I’m thinking of getting one of these, the way I understand it I:
    1. Open a stocks and shares ISA with an online platform. Cavendish Online for me.
    2. Put some money in.
    3. Choose my funds to assign the money to.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Say I choose 10 funds, put in £1000 and split across all of them at £100 per fund. I then put in £1000 per month. Will this then be automatically used to purchase units in each fund every month, or will I have to go in and select how many units in each fund I want to buy?

Thanks for any help!

jimdubleyou

There will (should) be a function where you can allocate your monthly savings (%ages) to each fund.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thank you!

mike_p
    Free Member

Although I’m about to leave them, Cavendish is a good choice = cheapest there is and free to swap funds, which is important for the sums you’re investing. It piggybacks FundsNetwork, not used their regular investing option but would be amazed if it’s not possible to do what you want.

Only drawback is that FundsNetwork doesn’t include Investment Trusts or offshore-registered unit trusts (eg. Lindsell Train’s Global Equity fund), which is one reason why I’m off to III.

footflaps

You’d be better off putting £1000 into one fund each month and changing the fund every month as you’re normally charged £6ish per transaction.

NB Having tried a few different different fund brokers, Hargreaves Lansdown are miles ahead in terms of website, UI, ease of use and research etc. Although they’re not the cheapest out there.

mike_p
    Free Member

Not so, there’s no trading charges with Cavendish

mudshark
    Free Member
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve no complaints about Charles Stanley.
    Trading in funds is free and their platform charge is 0.25%.
    Cavendish, I believe, have a very limited range of funds available.

mav12
    Free Member

been thinking about this for a while what sort of return are you guys achieving

footflaps

been thinking about this for a while what sort of return are you guys achieving

Only meaningful to look over several years eg we’re had a 6 year bull run in the UK/US, so right now UK and US stocks are pretty high.

However, Asian stocks are looking good value…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/12008830/Barclays-bets-on-stock-boom-as-world-money-growth-soars.html

timba
    Free Member

what sort of return are you guys achieving

What level of risk do you want to take??

BillMC

Read Robbie Burns’ ‘Naked Trader’ (although he won’t have funds in his ISAs).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stupid Stocks and Shares ISA Question’ is closed to new replies.