Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Stupid recruitment agency
  • jimplops

Bit of a rant, stuck my cv up on cv library, and got contacted by an agency, they asked the usual questions regarding what I was looking for etc., and the stupid feckers have only gone and sent my cv to my boss! Idiots must just be fishing for placements as we’re not even recruiting! Going to make next week when I’m on days interesting that’s for sure.

poly
    Free Member

I got one recently for someone I sacked a few years back, I had some fun with that one!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

We got rid of someone at work recently, only to have their CV sent to us a couple of weeks later by the same agency we recruited them through. We asked if they had ever worked at our place (as no names on CV), the recruiter said, ‘no definitely not, they have not worked at your place, why don’t you interview them?’. Got both the CVs together, they were exactly the same. My boss phoned them up and told them where to stick it and never contact them again, chancers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

It’s posts like these that make is so difficult for good agencies to work. There are some awesome consultants and companies out there in recruitment land but as proved in these and many other posts, they seem outnumbering by the class A morons that the industry seems to attract.

dannybgoode

I use exactly 2 agents for this reason. We’ve known each other for years and they only contact me if there’s something they know I’d interested in.

Both worth their weight in gold as they know all the moves going on in my sector way before anyone else.

The others – meh…

jimplops

Well got a call back off them this afternoon after ringing for an explanation, all I got was sorry and when I asked what the covering email said, oh just a brief outline saying this (me) candidate was looking for a job, I pointed out that it didn’t really help me or look good, oh yeah it doesn’t was the reply! **** going to ring the director tomorrow as ones finished for the day and the other is off till next week.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s posts like these that make is so difficult for good agencies to work

– CAUTION, OXYMORON ALERT –

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m working my redundancy notice at the moment, sometimes I wonder if one of the questions I ask should be “do you tie your own shoe laces”, because although some do seem to have a brain, others just seem to talk a lot about nothing.

Who’s the company?
    Can’t tell you at this stage, but they’re a good one to work for.
    So what’s the role?
    A really good one for you, what rate would you like?
    IDK, what are they offering, what are the T&C’s?
    Competitive.
    With what?
    The industry.

You wouldn’t tell me which company they are though so how am I supposed to guess that or send a tailored CV, seriously, I’d have a better chance just applying myself rather than through you you shiny suit wearing cretin!

bigjim

I got head hunted for my own job when it was readvertised following redundancy, the guy said it was a perfect match for my experience. I’d written most of the job description and recognised it, I pointed this out and never heard a peep back from him.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

this as happened to me a couple of times, i just said tha the agencies were always on at me to have an up to date cv on file… which is quite often true.

do these agents get a crumb of commission if they get someone sat down for an interview?

stever
    Free Member

Nice chat with agent ending: “Do not submit me to Company X”
    Next morning, Company X: “So we’ve had your CV from the agency…”

lunge

do these agents get a crumb of commission if they get someone sat down for an interview?

Very rarely, only way you get paid for an interview is if it’s retained work and that’s rare below salaries of £100k.

ads678

IME recruitment consultants don’t listen a **** word you say to them.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed.

Me: We are looking for a developer with WordPress experience.

Recruiter: Here’s one with .net experience.

Me: We want someone that can work in our office.

Recruiter: Here is one that wants to work remotely.

#fail

And don’t even get me started on the %$@!%^*^ ^£$%pot that ring the office trying to ‘sell’ us a potential recruit one minute then ring back the next trying to speak to one of our devs to try to get them to take the great new job he has for them.

So basically what that particular cockwomble tries to do is harvest our staff so he can get a fee, then place someone else with us so he can get another fee.

And when I put the phone down on him, he subsequently sent an email demanding to know why I did it and why I dislike recruiters so much.

stever
    Free Member

Oh and CV parsing software: get sent jobs based on random keywords for positions you’re plainly not suitable for.

To be fair, I’ve had some great recruiters …but the bar isn’t set that high 🙂

luke
    Free Member

See a job advertised contact the agency go in fill out forms, to be told that I’m not suitable for that job, despite having done it for the last 5 years in a small industry I said it is X they looked blank and said I wasn’t suitable so I said I’d call them the next day directly, went for an interview a couple days later via the agency.

Looking for a job was told as I don’t drive the job wasn’t suitable due to location, saw the same add a few weeks later with a location, soon figured out the employer it was a job I could walk to from my house in under 5 mins.

Called an agency out of politeness to say I’d found work so to take me off there books, not that I’d heard anything from them for months, I now get 3 or 4 texts a week and a couple of emails all with jobs.

Not an agency fan.

Cougar

Where I work, we’re currently in the process of a merger with another company.

Received via email an unsolicited pair of CVs from a recruiter I’ve never heard of, both candidates “very keen” to work for us. One of them, you guessed it, currently works for the company we’re merging with. I wrote back to tell them his wish would soon be granted.

spud-face

I’m trying to relocate and having bugger all luck finding work in my sector (ndt) to the point where I’m just applying for any menial job I can find and hoping to retrain in my own time. But getting no joy with those either, so it boils my wee when my hopes are raised by some enthusiastic agency spod telling me they’ve been wowed by my cv and have the perfect job – which inevitably requires a different NDT discipline to mine. Not that they’ll admit it, or even understand my question, so I end up with exchanges like today: “what discipline do they want? I’m only qualified for radiography” “yeah they want NDT! They do electroplating and stuff”
    Or the one this morning who repeatedly said NTD. I wish they wouldn’t get my hopes up, it’s draining.

allan23
    Free Member

There are some awesome consultants and companies out there in recruitment land

Really? Where? Not in IT that’s for sure. Every time I’ve stayed at a job longer than necessary it’s been the sheer revulsion at having to speak to some gobshite who hasn’t read my CV or the job description. The pain of having to explain in words of one syllable why it’s not good practice to make up experience so your CV sounds more applicable. I even have shivering terror that posh sounding Tom will call every number I have and leave messages with the other half that it’s Tom the Headhunter ya. All trying to get me to work as a Java Developer when I have zero experience with Java or Application Development.

For a while I thought it was me until my interview for the current job when my then future boss went off on one at wasted time thanks to agencies sending CVs that were utterly inappropriate.

Do you have an IT vacancy? Here have this CV for a cake decorator who once made a cake in the shape of a computer.

When I’m in charge I’d shoot the lot of them – anyone with Agent in the job title unless they’re a proper Secret Agent.

Damn, wound up now 🙁

TheDTs
    Free Member

We had an agency call one of our employees pretending to be a Graphic Designer, supplying artwork for a customer. I answered and it seemed fishy, he asked for Chris, so I transferred the call to him. He straight away says he is working for a recruitment agency. Chris is a great chap and strung them along for a bit.

It turns out the agency is the same one we got a guy through a few months earlier.
    I made it clear to the agency that I was not impressed and they assured me that the agent was new and that they would be taking it in turns to kick him in the knackers for the rest of the week…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have been in recruitment for 10 years. All with the same company. Dont work on commision or to targets, apsco qualified and trained and we have won rakes of awards so we aint all bad….just stay clear of the big nationals like hays and ranstad and you will be ok. They all work on a numbers basis and the poor sods working for them have to send x cvs and get y interviews per week or lose thier jobs. Just not the way to do it….

Nb its against the law not to tell you where your cv is going. Just mention the conduct regulations and shop them to the rec…

geoffj

I was called by an agent about a great contract that my cv was a perfect match for. Which wasn’t a surprise because I was already contracting there. After the initial conversation, he twigged that I was already in the door and then started to quiz me about one of the skills/requirements in the job spec and on my cv.
    The stupid **** rang me again 3 days later with the same job 🙄

jimplops

Thanks for that, I shall mention that when I ring the director, also scarily the girl that cocked up my actually do the wages if there’s only one girl with her name going off the website, which makes it worse. Her attempt to apologise was done on her mobile not a company line, so there’s every chance some lower minions are trying a cover up without the directors knowing. We shall see tomorrow.

RobHilton
    Free Member

@stevemuzzy If you happen to work in Finance/Information type recruiting who is it for?

Emailed in profile if you don’t want to say here. Ta.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Sorry rob its tech and professional in construction & engineering so quantity surveyors, chartered civil/structural engineers, project managers etc. Oh and scotland only!

hora
    Free Member

I did 11yrs in one place working my way.

I wouldn’t defend or trust anyone but myself. Walter Mitty characters aplenty

johndoh
    Free Member

they assured me that the agent was new and that they would be taking it in turns to kick him in the knackers for the rest of the week.

Of course he was, of course they will – that was simply more bullshit to attempt to cover their collective arses.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Two things that spring to mind.
    When i moved from the world of short term contracts to permie work i specifically and very clearly stated to the recruitment co that i had absolutely no interest whatsoever in working for any part of the company i was (at the time) contracting at. As it was painfully clear that they would be going to the wall fairly shortly. (One reason to get out i suppose).

I had THREE calls within 2 days for interviews in other parts of the business. Two of which were with managers who i’d already been working with on various projects.

Needless to say i did the rest of my job hunting on my own. And they went to the wall, very loudly and messily. Well after i’d left.

Another shifty lying arsehole edited a colleagues CV to say that he had patents in ROV design. Deleting the bit referring to “fuel tanks and storage”.

He had two or three interviews at companies in the undersea exploration field looking for experts in Remote Operating Vehicle design. Rather than Roll Over Valve design.

(Wasn’t all bad. He got a job. Doing ROV design and development.)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Stupid recruitment agency’ is closed to new replies.