Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stupid question of the day.
  • motozulu
    Free Member

I have a Merida Matts 300D Trail that is currently a single speed rigid. Originally it came with crappy Suntour 120mm forks.

Question – I have a bee in my bonnet about converting back to a HT and want to try X Fusion slants or velvets – in 140mm flavour. Will I die? will it be unbelieveably shoite and cack to ride?

Or worth having a crack at. I think the frame is a good ‘un and was never done justice by the bottom end kit it came with. (It’s been a brilliant, light SS)

Many thanks.

chestrockwell

Probably be alright I’d have thought. My Clockwork came with 100mm but could be had with 120mm also so 20mm seems like an acceptable change.

motozulu
    Free Member

Cheers, I was thinking this – when you actually look at 20mm away from the bike it’s bugger all – think I’ll just go for it and risk it.

What’s the worst that can happen? 🙄

RobinT

I had a Marin originally with 80mm forks. I switched to adjustable Rebas – at 100mm they gelt just right. At 120mm they felt a bit long and the steering a little odd, although they did feel good like that going downhill.

I didn’t die.

So i reckon 20mm extra will be fine unless the Merida already feels very laid back.

mattbee

Try it, at the end of the day both forks are adjustable to shorter travel if it doesn’t work out.
    Also, although I have a set of Slant I could try and sell you I reckon the Velvet would be better suited to a hard tail.

MrNice
    Free Member

you might find you want to move a spacer from under the stem to over it if the front end feels too high and it’ll handle a touch slower but 20mm will be fine

motozulu
    Free Member

Ta muchly lads – some good suggestions and advice there – I’ll go with the velvets probably, always wanted to give X-Fusion a go and after all the hassle I had with Rockshox over a constantly failing Reverb, it’s someone else’s turn as the Motozulu go to fork peeps!

bigyinn
    Free Member

The only downside would be if you were concerned about warranty, most HT have a max travel limit to stop you possibly snapping the head tube off.
    Having said that, I’ve run my Marin Nail trail with 140mm forks and its fine, bloody great actually!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stupid question of the day.’ is closed to new replies.