Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Stupid question about dual crown forks
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying a FS bike with dual crown forks fitted but there’s something that’s nagging me and I need advice,
    The way it’s been built up means there are 40mm of headset spacers between the top of the headtube and the bottom of the upper crown, and that’s where I get a bit cautios…
    Is it because the forks were originally off another bike, with a longer headtube, so this was the only option?
    Can I undo the lower crank bolts, remove the spacers and drop the forks down, reducing the gap?
    They’re boxxers if that makes any difference
    Cheers

honourablegeorge

Boxxers (2010+) come with two upper crowns, a high and a low. The bike might have the taller one fitted – original owner might just have liked his bars high.

You can move them about, they specify some min/max distances between the crowns and for the top crown to top of stanchion in the manual though, so wise to stay within those limits.

flowerman
    Free Member

Yep above is right. I’m guessing he bought the forks do the bike second hand and they came with a long steerer and only the high rise top crown. Usually people would use the high rise top crown as either their steerer was a bit short or their head tube is unusually tall. Ive used Marzocchi 888 rc3 s and boxxers for about the last 5 years now and I would say what he was doing was slightly unsafe especially on a dh bike. If you do but the bike just take the top crown off remove the spacers (dunno if this is a dirct mount stem or not) and then recut the steerer to fit the head tube. Those spacers aren’t really made to go between the crowns, and they are probably making the fork a lot more flexy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Stupid question about dual crown forks’ is closed to new replies.