Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Stupid pathetic dumbass tubeless question….
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So why do I need to use Stans special tape on a Crest rim? What’s wrong with insulting tape? I’m putting an Advantage on & theyr’e a really slack fit.
    I’m guessing that leccy tape is too ‘soft’?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, stans tape is proper tough stuff. I’ve heard of people using other stuff, but I dunno if electrical tape would work.

IA

Insulating tape stretches, wouldn’t hold pressure over the spoke holes. Stans tape doesn’t stretch.

TrevorB

Insulating tape will work, but you will need 3 or 4 layers. This might help with Advantages.

Northwind

Insulating tape does work… But you need multiple layers, and it might not be as wide as the rim. Also, it’s more likely to damage- it’s quite easy to push it inwards on the rim as you change tyres. To be fair stans tape can do that too but it’s much rarer.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Electrical tape works fine with a tubeless valve.

I’ve done it that way for years, normally 2 or 3 runs round & it’s good to go. Never had an issue 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go, What’s the worst that can happen!

shortcut

I’m with Hobnob here. Can’t believe the tightwads on STW spend money on stans tape when there is a cheap workable alternative!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can’t believe the tightwads on STW spend money on stans tape when there is a cheap workable alternative!

I think we (the one’s who use leccy tape) are the tightwads! 😉

Farmer_John
    Free Member

does anyone know if you still need notubes rim tape if the rim is a usb one (so no holes drilled on the inside for spokes) and the tyre is a normal one but being run tubeless?

RealMan
    Free Member

Rim tape is only for sealing the spoke holes, so if you don’t have spoke holes, you don’t need tape.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve bought and use Stan yellow tape, however I’m back to using the 3M filament tape I originally bought as it was what Stan recommended using in his original ghetto tubeless instructions (I went tubeless before kits were available). Seems to work just as well. This stuff with fibres just in one direction – I’ve seen people suggesting the cross-weave stuff which may work as well, but not as easy to split to the exact width you want.

JohnnyPanic

Last time I did one I used one layer of insulating tape. A while later I had cause to change the tyre and looking at the tape, it had deformed inwards on the spoke holes quite alarmingly. Added 2 more layers & still need to re-do the other rim, though it’s been holding up so far…

BenjiM

Insulation tape works fine, duct tape works fine, hell you could probablt use sellotape but it it’s probably not sticky enough. Once round will do with the other stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Stupid pathetic dumbass tubeless question….’ is closed to new replies.