Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Stupid or WHAT
  • Nico
    Free Member

There wasn’t any bill for the rescue. She was found and accompanied off by some other climbers/walkers

Damn, now I’ll have to get off my high horse.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Make sure you get a H&S review first.

slowoldman

Dunno about that. I was hoping for another interminable tail-chasing argument about the existence or non existence of this god thing. Hasn’t been one for a while

Hadn’t you heard? It’s all been settled.

bigjim

STW elitsm and snobbery at it’s best here! Poor girl, she’s inexperienced and made a mistake, many people do, I don’t see why that makes her less worthy of a rescue she didn’t need anyway. Maybe there’s an argument she’s more deserving of a rescue than those that intentionally put themselves in dangerous situations and expect a free rescue if they mess up. Hope it doesn’t put her off the hills anyway.

stever
    Free Member

I think this story tells us more about the media, syndication, forums, ‘below the fold’ comments and the internet’s determination to grab the wrong end of any stick it can find.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mountain rescues are a win-win situation anyway. Rescuees want to get rescued, rescuers join up cos they want to rescue people. No dramas. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

I said much the same thing last week but it turns out that’s not a defence to arson charges. 🙁

sweepy
    Free Member

As far as I can remember there have been a fair few deaths in the hills recently, and they were all reported as ‘experienced’
    Her judgement of risk seems to have been at least as good as theirs.

I’m glad we live in a world where we can still take a few chances, or do something a bit daft, experienced or no.

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂 at konabunny

Northwind

I’ve been not far from the same mistake tbh- practicing at the dudes enduro, I was the last man on the hill and pushing my luck a bit for daylight when snow rolled in- at any time I could have just ridden down the road but it was always “I’ll just do a wee bit more” “The snow’s not a problem yet”. I was absolutely out of it by the time i got off the hill, it worked out OK but it could have not, I mean I was so whacked I could have easily binned it or got lost…

Thing was, I never thought “I’ll go out in the snow” “I’ll push the daylight” “I’ll push my luck with the snow”, it’s just that every minute and pedal stroke carried me a tiny bit further into a mess. Your standard incident pit really

She seems sound tbh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

She went on UKC in an effort to thank the people who helped her and was very candid about her error, and as far as I could see (the UKC thread might look different now, but when I looked at it), that honesty was appropriately acknowledged. I’m quite sure the purpose of LMRT publicly commenting on the incident is to highlight the dangers and try and reduce the number of times it happens, not have a go at her. The press obviously are a different kettle of fish.

bigjim

I hope she’s not upset by the press attention, seems to have gone quiet on that ukc thread unless I’ve missed replies.

Garry_Lager

How do you learn good judgement and decision making in the mountains? By making stupid mistakes in your formative years.

Granted this looks to be on the egregious side, but doesn’t sound like it was in the clueless tourist mould. More like someone fit thought they could cane it up and down the Ben, but under-estimated the weather.

davidjey
    Free Member

How do you learn good judgement and decision making in the mountains? By making stupid mistakes in your formative years.

This. As a student I remember setting out to climb Snowdon with my girlfriend of the time. About this time of year. I was wearing jeans and Caterpillar boots. I’m fairly sure we took no food whatsoever with us. As we started wading through the snow that covered the top third of the mountain, a park ranger who happened the other way looked us up and down and stopped for a chat, advising us politely but firmly to turn back. Which we did. With the benefit of hindsight, we were clueless about what we were undertaking. I’m no expert these days but I at least know some fundamental mountain safety and to head out properly equipped.

TBH I’m sure people like the girl in this ‘news story’ set out every weekend from the car park of every popular mountain in the UK.

hairylegs
    Free Member

set out every weekend from the car park of every popular mountain in the UK.

Absolutely spot on there!

More like someone fit thought they could cane it up and down the Ben, but under-estimated the weather. [/quote]

I think we’ve all done that at some stage and got away with it like Northwind did.

I know for myself, now that I’ve been involved in MR and ML I have a different perspective on the risks involved in outdoor activities but continue to take them based on my own judgement (hate the phrase risk assessment!)which has been developed By making stupid mistakes in your formative years.

vickypea
    Free Member

A bit daft, but as already said several times, plenty of us do daft things sometimes.
    But why mention the selfie stick several times in one short paragraph?!

stever
    Free Member

Well I for one will continue to dick around in the outdoors for the foreseeable, selfies will be taken (though I don’t possess the stick), sometimes I’ll be wearing shorts. I own several kinds of ice pick so no worries there. I wish her well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But why mention the selfie stick several times in one short paragraph?!

Stereotypes.

Cyclists: Young, fit, enjoying life.

People with selfie sticks: Young, fit, enjoying life, photogenic.

People who comment on internet news stories: Old, fat, miserable, probably break lenses.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Oh hello the armchair climbers are out again. “Leave her to die”, “send her the bill”.

She cocked up badly and got away with it. Not the first, won’t be the last.

They shoulda sent NZCol up in a 4×4 SUV to get her……

jambalaya
    Free Member

And the pics probably lifted off FB without her permission

If they are public on facebook you have given your permission

Thanks for the forum link with the real story from her

squirrelking
    Free Member

If they are public on facebook you have given your permission

#jambyfact

Actually the copyright still rests with the owner, facebook may use them for their own purposes IIRC but randon hacks can’t just rock up and lift them. Personally I’d be invoicing them the going rate per pic used.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But you are not disagreeing with me are you ? News outlets have deals with fb don’t they ? They can sue the image witha credit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Actually no, I’m completely disagreeing with you.

The copyright resides with the holder, in this case the person who took the picture. The terms and conditions you agree to with facebook involve facebook being allowed use of the picture, not anyone else and even then the use is only internal advertising.

Posted by Andy Rouse Photography on Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Newspapers have NO RIGHT AT ALL to use anyones pictures without their permission.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Always remember

Experience is something you acquire just after you needed it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Squirrelking: facebook’s reply is misleading (because the two people are talking at cross purposes). The T&Cs of Facebook do allow them to license others to use the text and images you upload.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hmm, fair enough, just looked up T &Cs as I should probably have in the first place. Thank god I set everything to private.

Apologies to Jamby.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Stupid or WHAT’ is closed to new replies.